IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gardening and spirituality  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gardening and spirituality

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gardening and spirituality
    Posted: 01 October 2005 at 7:09am
Gardening can cultivate the sacred
Natural world can aid soul, book says Gardeners seen as resistance fighters

JANICE MAWHINNEY
LIFE WRITER

"At the heart of gardening, there is a belief in the miraculous."

Mirabel Osler

Gardening is spiritual work, says Donna Sinclair, in her new book The Spirituality of Gardening.(Northstone, 160 pages, $40)

"I know that in (my garden) I connect with God," she writes. "That surely is a spiritual matter. In my garden I understand the natural world to be part of God, something God encompasses."

While she notes that the spirituality of the garden is not attached to any one faith, Sinclair's own approach is a Christian one. She is a senior writer with the United Church Observer.

She bases her book on her own experiences, as well as on quotations from others who have mused on the link between spirit and garden.

Sinclair puts forward the idea that connecting with trees and earth through the garden can be a sacred experience.

Gardening also provides an element of balance through nature, to a life full of computers, cell phones, televisions, microwaves and other technological presences, she says.

Working in the garden is a therapeutic experience for many, she adds. The silence and beauty, which are there to be found, are healing.

The cycles of life and death through such aspects of gardening as the change of seasons, and of the decay and renewal of the composting process, offer hope.

Gardeners are also a kind of resistance army, Sinclair suggests, individually working to balance the paved-over parts of the world with green things growing from the earth.

"Gardening is revolutionary," she writes. "Governments seem intent on selling or licensing for harvest every forest � the lungs of the planet � in the north, no less than in the south. In the face of this self-destructive impulse, gardeners say no.

"By their efforts to create loveliness, despite, say, cigarette packages tossed from car windows, gardeners are deeply subversive. There is another way to live, they say silently, watching the changes in the climate and the land over the decades � days lived in gratitude for all that gives us life: rain, sun, earth and every plant from moss to trees."

Gardens are, Sinclair says, "our connection to the land, and to the One who created it."

Assalamu alaikum,

I have not read this book (but will when it gets to my local library!), but I posted this because I certainly agree with her premise that gardening and spirituality are closely linked!  I never feel nearer to Allah than when working in my garden.

"And it is He who spread out the earth, and placed therein firm mountains and rivers and of every kind of fruits He made Zawjain Ithanain.  He brings the night as a cover over the day.  Verily, in these things, there are signs for people who reflect."  Qur'an 13:3

"And in the earth are neighbouring tracts, and gardens of vines, and green crops, and date-palms, growing into two or three from a single stem root, or otherwise, watered with the same water; yet some of them We make more excellent than others to eat.  Verily, in these things are signs for the people who understand."  Qur'an 13:4

"He it is Who sends down water from the sky; from it you drink and from it (grows) the vegetation on which you send your cattle to pasture."  "With it He causes to grow for you the crops, the olives, the date-palms, the grapes, and every kind of fruit.  Verily!  In this is indeed an evident proof and a manifest sign for people who give thought."  Qur'an 16:10-11

"And from the fruits of date-palms and grapes, you derive strong drink and a goodly provision.  Verily, therein is indeed a sign for people who have wisdom."  Qur'an 16:67

"And your Lord inspired the bees, saying: "Take you habitations in the mountains and in the trees and in what they erect."  "Then, eat of all fruits, and follow the ways of your Lord made easy (for you)."  There comes forth from their bellies, a drink of varying colour wherein is healing for men.  Verily, in this is indeed a sign for people who think."  Qur'an 16:68-69

As fall hurries toward winter, I am enjoying the last days of this year's garden and looking forward to next spring!  Insha'allah, there is still as much as a month left for things to live, depending on when the first frost comes!  Insha'allah, I will enjoy digging in Allah's fragrant earth again.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 2:55am

Bismillah,

Since I only have a small amount of energy these days, I put my growing energy into my kids!  It's hard to remember to water the lawn, and Al-Hamudulilah, I hear it raining right now, so that's it for that this year.  Enjoy the book and the gardening.  Someone has to make those beautiful flowers bloom and grow the tomatos!

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2005 at 4:18am

Assalamu alaikum Sister herjihad,

Thanks for the nice words, all praise and thanks are for Allah who causes the rain that allows the things to grow!

Sister, surely "growing" good children is the most important "gardening" we can do in this life!  May Allah grant you the patience and energy to grow your children well, and may they grow up to be fine slaves of Allah and good citizens of the earth.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 9:39pm

We are part of the natural world and to immerse in nature such as gardening is to reconnect to the earth or universe and to ourselves and as some say God.

As they say, go and hug a tree.

To spend time with nature is to reconnect with our natural selves and mother earth. It can relieve stress and tension, when I go to the beach I instantly feel tension start to go away. Going to the beach and being near water balances out the ions and then we go away we feel so much better.

When you spend time with nature whether its in your own backyard or walking in the rainforest, you balance yourself out, reconnect with the cosmos of the universe and the rhythm of life.

We all need that connection with the earth.

Even spending time with animals can do the same.

When we start to reconnect we start to hear mother earth speak and we get to know her ways and how to respect her and when we start to do that we start to respect ourselves because what we do to the earth we do to ourselves.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 10:48pm

well sister ummziba, after reading the book do post another comment..uc my country more than half the population is engaged in agricultrual work...maybe that will explain why people here are more or less religious?

Regards,

Dayem.

"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
Ketchup View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ketchup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2006 at 4:29am

I think the term you are looking for is inner peace.

Gardening teaches you the meaning of respect.  The miracle of birth and re-birth..  You only get what you put in, so if you respect your garden you respect the very esscence of the Earth and the very life it supports.. if you neglect and abuse it the results are very obvious to see.

I personally grow my own veg which is fantastic and have the safe knowledge of exactly whats in them.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling.  ~Mirabel Osler

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic