IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I love this website  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I love this website

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seekingthetruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I love this website
    Posted: 04 February 2012 at 6:59pm
Hello. I've grown up in the Catholic and Baptist churches. When I was around 19, I quit going to church all together. I've lived my life believing the golden rule "Treat people the way you want to be treated." I've often found myself taken advantage of and wondered where all the good people were. I've always questioned why things are the way they are and have never been able to accept the answer "that's just the way it is". I've always considered myself a very spiritual person but not religious. For some reason the things I was taught in church just didn't seem logical.

I had a rough upbringing, and as a result have suffered from depression and PTSD for many years. I feel like something is missing. I'm looking to find answers. I feel empty and believe that for the most part, this is the real reason for my depression. I was in the Navy during 9/11. At that time I made a Muslim friend. He amazed me! He was so kind, caring, and just an all round good person. I witnessed the horrible treatment he received and could never understand how he still managed to love the world. We lost touch but his attitude about life left a lasting impression.

I recently found out that I had family on my mothers side that I didn't know existed. My aunt and I have so much in common. I feel like she has the same good heart that I do and always tries to see the best in people. When I realized she was Muslim I started asking questions. She has been wonderful at answering my questions but also referred me here.

I've been reading here for a few days and the things you all say makes so much sense. It's like I've found so many answers that I've been searching for my whole life! I want to make sure I understand everything fully before I decide if I want to convert but so far it just feels right.

I have a question to start off with and would like honest answers and opinions. How do you all view homosexuality? I ask because I grew up very close with my cousin (he's like my brother)and he is a homosexual man. I've known since we were very young (without him telling me) and it is my belief that he was born this way. I don't see how this could be a choice as I have seen the hatred he has endured. It's a topic that really hits home with me because I've held his hand and hugged him as he wanted to die.

I welcome all comments even if it's not what I hope to hear. As I said before I'm amazed by what I've seen so far and look forward to learning so much more.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 2:51pm
It is viewed as sinful behavior, therefore unacceptable and incompatible with a moral and ethical lifestyle according to the religion of Islam.
MustafaHoward View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustafaHoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 11:10pm
Regarding the question of homosexuality in the year 2012:

Islam teaches that Allah (God) alone is the Master of the Day of Judgment. Some Muslims try to do that themselves.

My friend, there is no need to worry about such tiny details, nor to ask "muslims" their opinions. Rasulullah (Prophet Muhammad) used to invite people to Faith, Prayer, and Charity, leaving-out the 129,000,000 details of "Islamic Law" that has developed since then.

What "muslims" forget(well, they've forgotten EVERYTHING), but they have definitely forgotten is that any "Muslim" who drives a human being away from Islam will end up in Hellfire himself, AND they have forgotten that Islamic injunctions are not applied while human beings live in an immoral and unjust society(which "muslims" should be thanked for since they've neglected their duties for 800 yesrs).

So, don't worry about these minor character flaws. You and your cousin may study Islam, learn Qur'an, and if you choose to believe in what you learn, you will be better than 99.9% of the people who call themselves "muslims", and you will go to Jennah, Insha Allah(God willing).

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:39pm
Reading your post I could relate.
All you have to do is look to Jesus to understand why you have 'been mistreated'.  I have that experience too.  Jesus promised that if you follow Him (i.e., follow in His ways and in what He taught) you would be mistreated.  Just look how mistreated He was, and how undeserved it was.  When you are the kind of person who turns the other cheek, the kind that forgives, the kind that gives his spare coat to one who has none, the kind who puts others before self... well, there are always those who will take advantage.

Jesus told us that the way is narrow and there are few who are on it.  One time a counselor shed a great deal of light on this issue for me when he said that only 1 in 4 are the personality type that I am.  I believe that is because I follow God and those other 3 out of 4 do not.
Even as MustafaHoward has said here... professing Muslims are not following the way either.

If you feel something is missing and think you are finding that missing piece I can say that if you begin to read God's Word you will be just as amazed at the change it will have on your life.  I too struggle with depression and God, not people, and not religion, is the answer.  When I began to read my Bible instead of just going to church I had that same 'amazed' feeling you describe.  I realized the "All the answers to everything I ever needed to know are in the Bible."   I found that "peace that goes beyond understanding", and I know many others who have said the same.  It is all about 'not my will but Yours Lord'.  If you need a place to start I recommend a Celebrate Recovery group.  It is what got me started on my journey of discovery, although God has always been a guiding presence in my life... innately I have always known I belong to Him.

Muhammad just presented the the teachings he learned... Judaism and Christian... in his wanderings as a merchant from the time of a young child, in another way.  I caution against converting to Islam simply because you are never permitted to change your mind and I believe Islam worships Muhammad more than they worship God.  Be very careful in what you choose.   I would say to put alot of time into studying God's word AND the teachings of Islam before you make any choice... ALOT of time.  I have spent 6 years studying the Bible, and the better part of a year studying Islam.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:49pm
As far as the issue of homosexuality  It may not be the person's choice to have improper attractions (just as a pedophile has improper attractions, or a married person who has attraction to someone other than their spouse), but it is their choice whether or not to act on it, and therein is the sin... if they choose to act.  We are all given crosses to bear and we must choose whether to bear them or to reject the Law of God.  It is our duty to admonish one another to not commit sin... this not only saves a brother but serves God in the way we are admonished to do, thus receiving His grace upon ourselves as well.  (James 5:20)
Just as an unmarried person must carry the cross of celibacy, so must any person who has improper attractions.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 3:50pm
Caringheart,
I would like to correct you on some of things you said which is basically misinformation. It is my duty as a Muslim to correct you and say only what is the truth.
You said: "Muhammad just presented the the teachings he learned... Judaism and Christian... in his wanderings as a merchant from the time of a young child, in another way. I caution against converting to Islam simply because you are never permitted to change your mind and I believe Islam worships Muhammad more than they worship God. Be very careful in what you choose. I would say to put alot of time into studying God's word AND the teachings of Islam before you make any choice... ALOT of time. I have spent 6 years studying the Bible, and the better part of a year studying Islam. "

If your claim is true, please show me where these teachings are found in Jewish or Christian scriptures.

• 112:1 (Y. Ali) Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;

• 112:2 (Y. Ali) Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

• 112:3 (Y. Ali) He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

• 112:4 (Y. Ali) And there is none like unto Him.
  • 3:59 (Asad) Verily, in the sight of God, the nature of Jesus is as the nature of Adam, whom He created out of dust and then said unto him, "Be" - and he is.

Dear Caringheart, rigt now just to prove yourself right please present those verses from where you claim these Christian or Jewish teachings originaly came from into Islam or prophet Mohmmed's (pbuh) teachings.

Could you tell us where people worship Mohammed (pbuh)?
    If you do not know as you writing suggests, Muslims don't worship Mohmmed (pbuh) at all, so you are wrong when you say " worship Mohammed more". I am a Muslim, and I can tell you that I don't worship Mohmmed (pbuh) at all, 0%. I love our prophet and respect him and thank him for bringing us the message of truth, of Oness of God, but worship is for God Alone, God of us all, God of Mohammed, Jesus, Moses (pbut)and so on.
    So please check before you pass on information to other, because if it truns out to be misinformation, it will cost you in the end.
    I will remind you something out of your own book: " But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment."Matthew 12:30
    peace,
    Hasan

The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic