IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vanni: How I embraced Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vanni: How I embraced Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vanni: How I embraced Islam
    Posted: 10 October 2011 at 6:20pm

I'm a 29 year old guy from the Philippines. I was born and brought up in a Catholic family. Since my elementary years I almost expended my time in the church. I began as an altar server, then I became band member of the choir in my teenage time and since then I served the church as a Parish Youth Ministry and the band leader. I� am a 3rd degree member of the Knights of Columbus, and the Cursillo for Christianity (once been a Vice rector in a junior class). I do have two friends that are catholic priest and one is my compadre. Sometime my compadre Rev. Fr. Benjie and I talked about Islam on how Islam honors Jesus and his mother .

I almost expended my time serving the Catholic Church before I embraced Islam. Being a catholic there was a question always in my mind, why does the faith of the Catholic Church or other Christian Churches are focused to Jesus ? Why not Yaweh the creator? Sometimes I asked this my friends in the church but no answers from them satisfied me. I stopped questioning because they told me that I was having a doubt about God or Jesus . But still I had a doubt and I kept it.

One time I met my former drummer and had a chat with him. He told me that he converted to Islam (Balik Islam in our Philippine language) and I laughed at him and told him that he had poor faith to Jesus . He only smiled at me. Again, another question in my mind, �Why this man (a former church volunteer worker since teenage time) embraced Islam?� After that I started to research about the doctrine of Islam. It was interesting and I borrowed some booklets from my friend. I also borrowed books from my Muslim co-employee. She gave me the booklet named Christ in Islam, by Shaykh Deedat and �Islam in Focus� by Hammudah Abdalati.

I found the answers to my question and I was truly satisfied, then I started to decide if I would go and embrace Islam. I told my family about it. My mother was sad and my uncle cried and told me, �I don�t want you to go in hell". I just smiled on him and tried to explain to him Islam. I quitted serving the church also. I and my Pastor cousin also had a debate about it. Many of my friends tried to stop me for my decision about Islam, and I told, �If any one of you can answer my question you can stop me.� (My question was, �Did Jesus () claim to be a god and to be worshipped?�

Months later, my friend (former Altar Server of the church) came from Saudi Arabia, we had a chat and I found out that he also converted to Islam. I was so satisfied about our chat and all of my questions were answered.

I made the decision to embrace Islam. There was an Imam in our hometown. I tried to find and contact him so I can declare may Shahaada (Testimony of Faith) but I couldn�t find him. In the 100% people in our hometown there were only 1% Muslims. Months went and still I couldn�t find an Imam. Then my cousin in Dubai called me and I went to Dubai. I declared my Shahaada there with a Filipino Imam.

Now I am a Muslim and in my family I am the only one, it is sad that if I die even my mother or kids can�t touch my dead body. But this is my faith.

�La ilaaha illallaah, Muhammadur Rasoolallaah�

I declared my Shahaada in Dubai on May 23, 2008 after almost a year of deciding and self studying Islam. In myself study Islamweb.net is a big help for me. I recommend the site to my Christian friends I want to encourage them about Islam to worship Allaah...no one except Allaah. Islamweb.net is the first site that I found and it helps me a lot. When I first found it I recommended the site to my catholic friends. The site is very encouraging.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic