IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Another Silly Question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Silly Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 6:13am

Originally posted by christainwoman christainwoman wrote:

Thank you all for answering. I am nervous to breast feed because I know a few people that said it was so painful and that they would never do it again. It was more then one so it really mad me nervous to even think about it. Your points do make sense that it is better for the baby.
Taryn

Taryn, did those mothers you know, have mastitis ? because that can be painful.

Mastitis means that the breast is inflamed, and there is swelling, redness, tenderness and pain. Not every women will get nor should it put you off breastfeeding.

Here is a link about what mastitis is: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022200.asp 

When babies go thru teething, a jab from the cutting tooth can hurt.

There is a favourite association of mine I like, it used be called Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia, NMAA (I tried to get a job there once despite it being a little far from home, just office work) but they changed their name a few years ago to Breastfeeding Association of Australia. Here's the link for them is has tonnes of information: http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/default.htm 

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 9:59pm

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Originally posted by christainwoman christainwoman wrote:

Thank you all for answering. I am nervous to breast feed because I know a few people that said it was so painful and that they would never do it again. It was more then one so it really mad me nervous to even think about it. Your points do make sense that it is better for the baby.
Taryn

For the first few days most discomfort is felt in the uterus. When a mother feeds her baby, the muscles of the uterus contract, and this can be very painful for the first few days. However, the good part is that the uterus goes back to moreor less of its usual size. if it is left stretched and flabby, the second pregnancy is more painful - thus better to feed than not to. furhter more, the pain goes away in a week or at the most ten days (and btw, continue to exercise your abdominal muscles to take the uterus back in).

Feeding can be dicomfort, if the the baby is too slow, and feeds too long, or if he/she does not take enough in one sitting thus demands after short intervals, or if your milk supply is not sufficient. All these problems can be worked on, with help as suggested by others in above posts ... there are some breast massage recommended during pregnancy to ensure a good supply. Do not feed on one breast for more than ten minutes. Do not yeild to the demands everytime .... some people don't support this, but what happens is if you try and make the durations longer, the baby takes more in one sitting.

I found the LaLeache League very supportive, alhamdulillah. It is sad that they have been reported as overdoing it in some areas, but they could be different in different areas, so there is no harm in trying.

In any case a new mother should not feel any kind of pressure or tension, or this may affect the level of lactation.

Breast feeding is a recommended practise in islam. Not to mention that in olden times in arabs the practise was also to hire a wet nurse. It is from a hadith that one may choose a lady of strong genetic background for feeding. if a husband can afford to pay, it is not an obligation for the mother to breast feed herself - guess this takes the mother off the hook, however know that there are several advantages to breast feeding. The most beneficial I find is a special bond that a mother develops with her baby right from birth, insha allah.

Hope this helps to some extent.

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 10:27am

From what I have seen from "bottle feeding" mothers, it seems to be so much more work! Preparing forumula, warming it up -- then buying something for the gas pains. Breastfeeding seems easier. For baby there are many many advantages but for you Taryn as well, for example your uterus will go back to it's natural shape faster and you might even find that you will lose that baby weight faster. : ) Feeding on demand help with prevention of pregnancy, there are good hormones released during breastfeeding that are supposed to be "relaxing". Most hospitols have lactation consultants, although you might not be aware, be sure and ask because they might not have enough of them to offer assistance unless requested.

Peace,

May

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2005 at 2:39pm

Ma sha allah sisters.   I enjoyed reading all of your posts.   Taryn, I hope you decide to breastfeed in sha allah.  Mommy's milk is best.

Salaam

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2005 at 10:40am
Breastfeeding is a snap after the first few weeks which can be a little hard. You just hold on and get through it. My Husband used to help me get the baby to latch on and position is head right. He was MashAllah a huge help. Since many of us don't have our moms or sisters around, the men really need to step in. He went to the prenatal classes with me and the breastfeeding class, so when it came time to do it, he knew as much as me and remembered things I didn't..Get your husband on the side of nursing the baby and he can bring you drinks and snacks while you nurse and really help out. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic