IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Translations of the Qur’an - REPOST  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Translations of the Qur’an - REPOST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 10:03am

Wa Alaikum Salam

Sori if you misunderstood what I said.

I did not mean that you should not discussion this topic I was commenting on your statement:

"I find that few people want to talk about the Qur'an anymore"

when I said that the sensible avoid these discussions. I have being online for a very long time, and I have seen how quickly fitnah takes the place of healthy discussion.

That was all I meant.

In my opinion if you are really sincere about learning and researching Islam, refer to the well-known Tafsirs and Insha Allah, Allah will open your heart to the beauty of Islam.

Sori if I offended you in any way.

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2005 at 11:22am

As Salamu Alaikum  

I would just like to clear up a point.

Before you misunderstand my meaning " if you are really sincere about learning and researching Islam" let me explain. Your sincerity is something between you and Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala and HE knows best. He is the Best of Judges.

I was reliving my own search for the truth that prompted me to make that statement. I always thought that as long as I prayed 5 times a day, partying etc was okay. I also found many Ayat that did not suit my thinking. I still remember the Ayat about cutting a thief's hand. (Surah Al-Ma'idah 5:38 and 39) I used to say if Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala is The Most Merciful then how can He be so cruel. Auzo Billahe minash Shaitanir-Rajim. Astaghfirullah!

Being a non-arabic speaking person I also relied on translations and found fault with this or that translation. Why? I wanted the Glorious Qur'an to suit me and my ideas so I found fault in whatever did not suit me. It was only when I was really sincere in seeking the truth that Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala opened my heart and I found those same translations made sense now. The words of those translations are still the same, it was my change of heart and attitude and sincerity that brought me out from the darkness into light.

Insha Allah I pray you will also realize that as long as we are looking within the Glorious Qur'an to suit our purpose, we will not succeed. It is only when we change and make the teaching of the Glorious Qur'an and Sunnah of the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) the central point in our life sincerely seeking the truth Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala brings us out from the darkness to His Light, Peace and Tranquility.

I pray this explanation about my personal experience will remove any doubt you may have that I was referring to your sincerity.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala guide us all to HIS Truth and Bless us with useful knowledge. Ameen!

Salams

Take care

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
pamukkale View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pamukkale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2005 at 2:59pm
I am not looking for the Qur'an to suit me, however, we were all made in the image of Allah.

We have inside us our own compass to Allah.  That little compass has pushed me along a very long path.

And as for the cutting of a thief's hand... again, I have read from new scholars that the word for cut has also another meaning such as "to mark".  Just as the loss of a hand would be a extreme symbol of past offenses, - a burn or branding or tattoo would do the same to warn people and serve as a reminder to the thief.

These thoughts, these studies are not trying to have the Qur'an suit us personally... if anything it shows the Qur'an as more humaine, more merciful and forgiving.  Those ARE the aspects of Allah.

If a new translation, new tafseer or meanings show the Qur'an to reflect more grace and mercy from Allah then I do not feel we are manipulating it or distorting it.  Allah scuptled our hearts.  If our heart honestly and truthfully tries to show us the truth then we cannot turn away and say "it's already explained" - maybe it wasn't really explained.

Also, Allah is extremely wise.  I feel he made the most important commandments clear as a bell whereas the commandments that are less important are left vague to be decided by our own individual understanding.  This does make the Qur'an have a different meaning to each of us but not in a conflicting way.  It's a way that we all can feel forfilled yet all act as one ummah with the important commandments.

Does that make any sense?  I hope so. 
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2005 at 10:39am

As Salamu Alaikum

Regarding the Ayat about cutting of the hand it is backed by the Sunnah there is no doubt about the meaning/translation of that Ayat in the Glorious Qur'an.

Narrated By 'A'ishah (Radhi Allahu Anha): The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) said, "The hand should be cut off for stealing a quarter of a Dinar."

Narrated By 'A'ishah (Radhi Allahu Anhu): The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) cut off the hand of a lady, and that lady used to come to me, and I used to convey her message to the Prophet and she repented, and her repentance was sincere.  (both are recorded in Al-Bukhari)

And Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala tells us time and time again in the Glorious Qur'an that although He is the Most Merciful, He is also Strict in Punishment. An Example:

Help you one another in righteousness and piety, but help you not one another in sin and transgression, fear Allah: for Allah is strict in punishment. (Surah Al Ma�idah 5: 2 part Ayat)

Like I pointed out earlier the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam) was warned us: that one of the sign of the Hour is when religious ignorance will prevail and religious knowledge will be taken away by the death of religious scholars. (Al-Bukhari volume 1 Hadith no 80)

So I don't pay much heed to what the new scholars are saying.

May open our hearts to the truth and guide us to His Straight way. Ameen

Wa Alaikum Salam 

pamukkale View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pamukkale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2005 at 11:50am

Allah may be swift and severe in his punishment but I see little of the Qur'an telling us to judge others and pass out punishment so very severe.  Isn't Allah the most wise Judge, isn't His punishment that He hands out the most deserving and fair?  He asks of us to bring out that which is good and forbid the evil, as the phrase seems to go.  But I guess this is just how I feel.  I feel evil can be forbidden without resorting to severity of punishment.  We humans are not perfect and neither is out judgment.

I do not want to loose the knowledge of the old scholars but I do not believe they were the ONLY wisdom of Islam.

We should build bridges between the old and the new or we will always seem like we are living in the past and not moving forward as I hear the Prophet (pbuh) had always wanted.

Thanks for pointing some things out to me.  I still feel strange about accepting such acts I feel are cruel.  Everything else about Islam is so beautiful and so perfect.  Those bits just seem like horrible flaws that are in such contrast to the rest that there must be something wrong there... there must be something mistaken or untrue.

I feel Islam urges people to evolve beyond such actions. 

Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 1:14am

As Salamu Alaikum

I don't have much to add except :

I do not want to loose the knowledge of the old scholars but I do not believe they were the ONLY wisdom of Islam.

I agree with this statement. All I am trying to do is warn you not to fall into the trap, that I fell into before Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala guide me to the real beauty of Islam.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala guide us all to the truth. Ameen!

Wa Alaikum Salam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic