IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Names  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by IslamicGirl IslamicGirl wrote:

Salams Room!

I thought a name didn't matter, does it?
I have a Muslim name, however when my husband converted he didn't seem to find any proof in the Qu'ran that you must change your name to an Islamic one when you become Muslim.  He prays 5 times a day and fasts, gives Zakaat etc.. just like a Muslim is Obligated to.

I also heared somewhere that on the Day of Judgement, you get called by the name your parents gave you???  Is anyone else aware of this...?  If so, please respond.

Just concluding, I think Muslim names are Beautiful        &am p;nb sp;         &am p;nb sp;      - Masha Allah!

Allah Hafiz.

You don't HAVE TO change your name.  Alot of muslims do, alot of Muslims don't.  I have read, either in the Quran or Hadith, that Allah will call you by whatever name you have chosen for yourself.  So if you change your name, he will call you by that name.

blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Knowledge01 Knowledge01 wrote:

Originally posted by IslamicGirl IslamicGirl wrote:

Blond,

I'm sure Knowledge01 is choosing his/her name for Himself and his Faith in Islam, not to please Employers etc...

I was simply stating that for every effect, there is a cause.

Very true. 

ChrisNo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisNo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 8:10pm

Hello Everyone! I Don't think anyone should be abliged to chage their name to an "arabic" one just because you're converting to Islam.

However, if changing to an "arabic" name makes you feel more comfortable and makes you feel like you've been reborn again then why not!

However, I would like to stress that there is no such thing as a Muslim name because the names used in the koran were used before Islam! They are just simply arabic translations of Hebrew and Aramaic names!

blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2005 at 8:18am
Originally posted by ChrisNo1 ChrisNo1 wrote:

Hello Everyone! I Don't think anyone should be abliged to chage their name to an "arabic" one just because you're converting to Islam.

However, if changing to an "arabic" name makes you feel more comfortable and makes you feel like you've been reborn again then why not!

However, I would like to stress that there is no such thing as a Muslim name because the names used in the koran were used before Islam! They are just simply arabic translations of Hebrew and Aramaic names!

Greetings,

Chris, do you speak, read or write any of these languages?

I do.

I know that Hebrew and Aramaic are dialects of Arabic. This means that Arabic is the Root Language from which the others evolved.

This doesn't mean that either is better. But you may want to take up a few language courses to help you in the future. It is difficult to defend a language you don't speak, read or write.

Thank you.

Edited by blond
islamhussain View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamhussain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2005 at 2:30pm

I found http://www.mobile786.com had the largest and most useful databse for islamic names and their meanings.... i think you can get them sent directly to your phone as well...

enjoy

salams

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2005 at 10:32pm
I like the name "Mujahid" which means "one who struggles" but I asked someone about it last night and he said I probably wouldn't want to have that name because the government will think I mean Jihad and will give me more trouble than I'll already receive from being a Muslim.  What do yall think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic