IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Parents  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amjed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parents
    Posted: 04 August 2005 at 7:50pm

Assalamu alaikum,

I just recently converted to islam (back in June), and still have not told my parents.  I know that neither one of my parents will accept it, especially my Dad, but I'm hoping I can atleast get my Mom to see the truth, insha'Allah.  Anyway, my question is, if my Mom does convert, would she have to divorce my Dad if he doesn't convert?  I'm asking because I know that a woman in Islam cannot marry a non-Muslim man. But what if they are already married?

hope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 8:30pm

You are right about muslim women cannot be married to non-muslim man. I saw this question on the ask the imam section I am reposting for you to see. 

Question#:

Question Date:
10/28/1996
Topic :
Marriage: woman converted to Islam, while the husband is still non-muslim
Question:
Asalam Alaykum please brother, can you tell me where I can find the hadith stating if a woman married to a Kafer man becomes a muslim that she should divorce her husband.? Jezakalahukheran
Answer:
Dear Sr. Jameela: Assalamu Alaikum, Allah (s.w.t.) says in the Quran: ''O you who believe! When there come to you Believing women migrating , examine (and test) their believe: Allah knows best as to their faith: if you ascertain that they are believers, then send them not back to the Unvelievers. They are not lawful (wives) for them, nor are the unbelievers lawful (husbands) for them. ...'' Al-Mumtahina (60), verse 10. Thank you, assalamu alaikum.
Reference:
IslamiCity
anum101 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anum101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 3:01am

Assalamu Alaikum,

Islam considers the husband head-of-the-family and therefore requires that a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-Muslim man because she will be under the authority of a non-Muslim husband. He may prevent her from carrying out her religious obligations by either pressuring her or physically abusing her. But it is not the sole reason for imposing the restriction. The situation is considered very damaging for the woman to practise Islam afterwards and even worse for the kids in such marriages. There are NO conditions mentioned under which a Muslim woman IS allowed to get married or remain married to a non-Muslim husband after she has accepted Islam. Therefore, even if she has freedom to practice Islam after marriage, she is NOT allowed to enter into an inter-faith marriage.

"And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikun** till they believe in Allah alone and verily a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik, even though he pleases you"....[2:221]

Al-Mushrikun=Pagans, idolaters, polytheist and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah and in His messenger Prophet Muhammad SAW) -

kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2005 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Amjed Amjed wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

I just recently converted to islam (back in June), and still have not told my parents.  I know that neither one of my parents will accept it, especially my Dad, but I'm hoping I can atleast get my Mom to see the truth, insha'Allah.  Anyway, my question is, if my Mom does convert, would she have to divorce my Dad if he doesn't convert?  I'm asking because I know that a woman in Islam cannot marry a non-Muslim man. But what if they are already married?

Woah! Hold your horses! You haven't even told your parents that _you_ are a Muslim, and yet you already think you can convert you mother?

How about just telling her first, then work through all the stuff afterwards, before even _thinking_ of trying to convert her. the longer you leave telling her about your own conversion, the harder her conversion and even just her acceptance will be. I mean - you're not even being honest with her yet - how can you expect her to change so fast?

Good luck,

Kim...

PS and one assumes that if she loves your father, she will not convert because she will want to stay with him. Fair enough, too.

Edited by kim!
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2005 at 7:33am
I'm with Kim, Amjed, you have done a big jump there
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic