IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - WAHHABI MOVEMENT  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WAHHABI MOVEMENT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2005 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by kim! kim! wrote:

Seems to me that Wahabbism can be fairly directly linked to things like terrorism. Let's face it - any sort of ideology that forces ONE way upon its people and apparently makes sure no one thinks or acts in any way that is different to The Rules/ anyone else (cf. Communism, Maoism, etc), then that sort of society is guaranteed to breed "sheep" and/or terrorists.

What i have been thinking about lately is where does "government" fit in all of this. Are they too forcing their ideology on us and is it just so broad that we do not even notice it? because i do not feel opressed or forced into a certain view, or am i conditioned from childhood on that i do not even notice it or know of any alternative because there has not been any other. Everyone is free to worship how they wish, everyone is free untill what they do becomes harmful to others, then there are laws and enforcers of these laws to keep people from being harmful to others. Although this sounds good and right for some reason i am not comfortable with it. Maybe it is because of all the negativity around the subject of governments, it could be because of my own corruptedness or it is because this perception is an illusion. But since i can not figure out how this is an illusion i remain not at ease. People have freedom untill they become harmful to others then there are laws in place to keep them from harming others...sounds good. Maybe you can tell me why i do not feel comfortable with it, maybe it has to do with all the people being in prisons who have been harmful to others in one way or the other. I think this has to do with it. Also there must be things people do which is harmful to others but against which there are no laws against to stop them from being harmful. So how do they define the limits of what is inside the law and what is outside?

Give people only one way to do anything, and they will either become sheep keeping their heads down ("Be like everyone else, Don't get noticed - live longer") or will become terrorists forcing their ways upon others, just as the ways were forced upon them.

And terrorism doesn't have to be in other countries - it can be at home, too. Like those girls who burnt to death in their school in 2002. THAT was a kind of terrorism, pure and simple. Murder, at least.

Kim... 

Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2005 at 12:36am

Originally posted by sarahrosecurry sarahrosecurry wrote:

Community, What do you mean Christian Groups are not violent?! What about the IRA.  They are a Catholic terrorist group, advocating for political power with the backdrop of Christianity.  Or the Klu Klux Klan.  Don't simply dismiss the Jews because of their small size.  They control the American media which gives them the most capalbilty of doing mass harm to a populous.  Yes when Wahhabism was infiltrated into the Saudi culture it was violent. But that was on the House of Saud more than on the religous movement.  POlitical agenda has always been masqued with religous.  It is those religious undertones that gives unethical political movements credibility to the ordinary person.  Look at Bush and his persistence in Iraq, openly talking about God when he speaks to the American people.  Politics and religion go hand in hand, unfortunately, and it is often violent, no matter the religion, no matter the country.  Religous politics manipulates the people better than honest politics.

Yes and it starts with someone who thinks he has something better of knowledge then the rest(like Abdul Wahhaab thought)----

30:32 Those who devided up their way(religion), and become Sects,- each party rejoices in that which is with them. [chapter the romans]

-----It gets worse when they claim it is the right way, infact claim it is the only way, and then taking the arrogant step of forcing it upon others. I think the house of Saud simply chose the wrong partner, how can they choose the right partner anyway? when all they care about is nice houses and fancy cars and do not even look twice to the poor people of Africa and the rest of the world? or do you really think the movement was such a righteous movement? if so why would they chose an alliance with power hungry people who would not even shun violence against fellow muslims just because of nationalistic ambitions? The house of Saud felt that this movement would be a good partner for their goal of gaining more power and staying in power so they went into a partnership, a marriage. But now the movement they supported and used is slowly becoming the cause of their own ruin. It sounds like a very bad marriage, but then again i testify against myself that i am not always thankful.

Look at it this way, when people use words of people as proof by claiming they come from the prophet which can not be verified except by other peoples words (amazing is'nt it?) you must realize something is wrong, any sane and reasonable person can not accept the claims made by such people, the people who do accept it are those who do not realize or do not wish to realize that people can lie, deceive and even be wrong, no matter how nice they smile at you. They have volumes of books from scholars and written "narrations of the prophet" all written by men(you can not trust people blindly), and they expect people to just fall for their charming smiles and when that does not work they make threats. Besides all of this there is a narration supposedly coming from the Prophet in which he forbade people to write down his sayings, and even ordered the burning of the sayings(narrations) written down by those with him, so what are all those books there with them with all those narrations? they declare some of the narrations as false and then other as true, and this process still happens. Whatever fits in their agenda is true, and what goes against it is false, and i am sure they have invented narrations along the way. It suprises me that they have not declared the narration in which the prophet ordered the burning of all his sayings as false. So basically if this is what the faith is about, trusting on other people's words even if they can not be verified, they might aswell be secterian christians believing in revelations or believing the holy spirit came down upon such and such and told him to write it down and so people should follow, or secterian jews who believe the rabbis are to be obeyed even if what they say goes against the torah.

So whenever you have a sect or movement if you will like this, you must understand the probebility of trouble on the horizon is very likely, infact i dare to say that trouble is garanteed with sects like these.

kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2005 at 1:55am
Originally posted by Community Community wrote:

Originally posted by kim! kim! wrote:

Seems to me that Wahabbism can be fairly directly linked to things like terrorism. Let's face it - any sort of ideology that forces ONE way upon its people and apparently makes sure no one thinks or acts in any way that is different to The Rules/ anyone else (cf. Communism, Maoism, etc), then that sort of society is guaranteed to breed "sheep" and/or terrorists.

What i have been thinking about lately is where does "government" fit in all of this. Are they too forcing their ideology on us and is it just so broad that we do not even notice it? because i do not feel opressed or forced into a certain view, or am i conditioned from childhood on that i do not even notice it or know of any alternative because there has not been any other. Everyone is free to worship how they wish, everyone is free untill what they do becomes harmful to others, then there are laws and enforcers of these laws to keep people from being harmful to others. Although this sounds good and right for some reason i am not comfortable with it. Maybe it is because of all the negativity around the subject of governments, it could be because of my own corruptedness or it is because this perception is an illusion. But since i can not figure out how this is an illusion i remain not at ease. People have freedom untill they become harmful to others then there are laws in place to keep them from harming others...sounds good. Maybe you can tell me why i do not feel comfortable with it, maybe it has to do with all the people being in prisons who have been harmful to others in one way or the other. I think this has to do with it. Also there must be things people do which is harmful to others but against which there are no laws against to stop them from being harmful. So how do they define the limits of what is inside the law and what is outside?

Give people only one way to do anything, and they will either become sheep keeping their heads down ("Be like everyone else, Don't get noticed - live longer") or will become terrorists forcing their ways upon others, just as the ways were forced upon them.

And terrorism doesn't have to be in other countries - it can be at home, too. Like those girls who burnt to death in their school in 2002. THAT was a kind of terrorism, pure and simple. Murder, at least.

Kim... 

Your government's part in all of this because they don't discourage (and they probably support) the religious police in Saudi Arabia.

There's nothing like giving a bunch of militant vigilantes some power...

Kim...

sarahrosecurry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahrosecurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2005 at 11:04pm
I am not saying that I support the Wahhabi movement.  In fact, as an American and Muslim, I am for freedom of religion.  The Prohet (saw) taught Muslims to respectful of other religions because that is Allah's will to those people.  The house of Saud is wrong to force Wahhabi teachings in the public schools and make it the official sect of Islam in Saudi Arabia.  I just see the intensions of the origin of the movement.  I believe in the beginning, it was a rightous movement, one that intended to bring the people closer to the original Islam, back to their Creator.
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2005 at 12:01am

If it was their intention to truely bring people closer to the "original islam" then all they needed to preach is that "islam means submitting to Allah and the submission to Allah is for the sake of achieving peace with Him", and invite people to The Merciful and His books.

The only thing a slave of Allah needs is His guidance, the fear of Allah and the hope for His mercy in every action. In the koran we find guidance His commands and laws. There is no need for a secterian movement in this, or their view of what "the original islam" is. What is there after the truth except falsehood?

There is no reason for all their books and teachings except for the reason of secterianism (we have these certain teachings and if you do not abide by these teachings you fall out of the group.) sects exist because of people thinking they are better then the others because of that which they have (of knowledge),

The orriginal islam lays in the word islam itself, the arabic for submission for the sake of peace. salaam is peace and islam is submission for the sake of peace, why is it that everytime they only mention "submission" as meaning islam and disregard it's connection to peace? Neverthess Allah has made this our faith. And He will not accept any other faith except this faith. there is no other true faith except working to achieve everlasting peace with Him, and working to achieve this is submitting to Him. And submitting to Him starts with obeying His laws and commands and leaving that which He forbids and dislikes for us. Submission to Him has levels. The highest levels of submission to Allah is i think that of the best human beings to walk on the face of the earth, the prophets and messengers of Allah, alaihim assalaam(upon them is The Peace) why upon them is The Peace? because they achieved (His) Peace which is The Peace, because they obeyed Him and completed their mission given to them by Him and with this achieved everlasting peace with Him. Alaihim(upon them) Assalaam(The Peace). I never heard those scholars explain this detail about why we say "upon them is the peace", because i think they do not even understand this.

Allah says in the koran: SAY:"O people of the book you are upon nothing, unless you make standing(implement) the torah, the evangel and that which is sent down to you from your Lord....." [Chapter the table]

So working for the peace with Allah is also for those who have the torah and the evangel to implement their given books. But as always with sects, they fail to understand that their way is not the only way, and with this failing in understanding their way becomes wrong. Because they are close to deny a truth, a verse from the koran.

b95000 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b95000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by sarahrosecurry sarahrosecurry wrote:

The historical relationship between the House of Saud and the Wahhabi is more a political coalition rather than a religios one.  In the 18th century, the Saud family leadership entered into a pact with the prominent religious leader, Mohammed ibn Abdul Wahhab.  His followers who are termed "Wahhabis" advocate a strict literal interpretation of the Quar'an and the earliest teachings of Islam.

Wahhabism is not a strand of Islam, there is only one true religion, Islam.  Wahhabism was simply a reform movement.  Muslims were beginning to stray away from the faith, and Wahhab brought them back to their faith.  What the Western world is taught of Wahhbi is that it is linked to terrorism and bin Laden.  However, the teachings of Wahhab do not advocate for terrorism.  These so-called Islamic terroists are misguided political martyrs. 

Wahhabism is not to blame for the terrorists acts.  The  terrorists acts that occur are of political agenda, not relgious.  Even if the poor soul committing the act is deluded to the belief of jihad in his behavior.

"Wahhabism is not to blame for the terrorists acts."

What is to blame for the terrorist acts?  I think the blame lays squarely on those who do too little or do nothing in response to extremism - and that responsibility (to do something in response to evil) lies with us all.
Bruce
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic