IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Surah Al-Fatiha, Ayat-5  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surah Al-Fatiha, Ayat-5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightrider786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surah Al-Fatiha, Ayat-5
    Posted: 18 September 2010 at 5:11am

إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وَ إِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ

Translation: Thee do we worship, �AND� Thine aid we seek.[Al-Fatiha:5]

Sayyiduna Shah Abdul Azeez Muhaddith Delhwi (alaihir rahmah) explains the Tafseer of the verse "Iy'ya ka Na'budu Wa Iy'ya Ka Nastaeen" by writing: "Here, it should be understood that to ask for assistance from anyone other than Allah, by putting full trust and not thinking of it as a marvel of Almighty Allah, is prohibited. But, if the attention is towards Allah and then to think of a person as the splendour of Almighty Allah and by keeping the means and wisdom of Almighty Allah before you, if one asks from anyone other than Allah, then this is not far from the Wisdom of Almighty Allah. This action is permissible and allowed in Shari�ah. To ask for help in this way is not really asking from someone but Allah, but in reality it is to ask from Allah." (Tafseer Azeezi)

There are three very important points derived from this verse of Glorious Quran

(A) Allah differentiated between "worship" and "asking for help" by putting �AND (و)� in-between the two, so had worship and asking for help been the same things then Allah would not have distinguished between them, rather it would have been only said: "Iyyaka Na�budu Iyyaka Nasta�in"(Thee do we worship, thine aid we seek), therefore different ruling shall apply on Istighatha depending on the nature of it whereas worship of any kind directed towards anyone other than Allah is an absolute shirk/Kufr.

(B) This verse proves that real help is from none but Allah azza Wajjal, whosoever believes that someone/something other than Allah provides �Haqeeqi (real)� and �independent� help then such a person is Mushrik, so it should always be embedded in hearts and minds that the cause and effect is only created by Allah in all cases.

(C) This verse is general and does not differentiate between seeking help from alive or dead. Hence same ruling shall apply in both cases, those who say that you can ask alive people for help but not pious people who have passed away have no proof whatsoever, rather they misuse this verse by giving false interpretation. Remember false interpretation to Quran can lead to hell fire. If their logic was true then according to this verse even asking for help from alive should be shirk. Some people would be surprised to know that Ahlus Sunnah considers it shirk even to ask an alive person for help in the wrong manner.

As long as a person bears this fact in mind that the True and Real Helper is Allah Ta'ala and no matter whom he asks from, it will be through the Mercy of Allah Ta'ala, then it is permissible to ask from such a person. This can never be termed as Shirk.
In Quran itself the Prophets have asked help from other than Allah at many occasions and the Awliya even did marvelous acts of Karamah, for example

1. Quran states: He (Solomon) said (to his own men): "Ye chiefs! which of you can bring me her throne before they come to me in submission?" .Said an 'Ifrit, of the Jinns: "I will bring it to thee before thou rise from thy council: indeed I have full strength for the purpose, and may be trusted."(27:38-39)

Said one who had knowledge of the Book: "I will bring it to thee within the twinkling of an eye!"Then when (Solomon) saw it placed firmly before him, he said: "This is by the Grace of my Lord!- to test me whether I am grateful or ungrateful! and if any is grateful, truly his gratitude is (a gain) for his own soul; but if any is ungrateful, truly my Lord is Free of all Needs, Supreme in Honour(27:40)

These Quranic verses prove that Solomon (AS) asked for help from his assembly of "Jinn and Men" then a man (saint called Asif) who had knowledge of the book brought it in �BLINK OF AN EYE�. We all know that throne of Queen Balkees was thousands of miles away, so how did that man bring it in blink of an eye? And why did Solomon ask his subordinates and not Allah? The simple answer to this is that it all happened with the will of Allah and Istighatha with this firm belief is perfectly allowed whether we are asking someone alive or a pious personality who has passed away

2. Quran states: Verily, your Walee (Protector or Helper) is Allah, His Messenger, and the believers, - those who perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and give Zakat, and they bow down (submit themselves with obedience to Allah in prayer). [Muhsin/Hilali 5:55]
**Following verse is very important to understand**

3 Quran states: Then will Allah say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Recount My favour to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened thee with the holy spirit, so that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. Behold! I taught thee the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel and behold! thou makest out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, by My leave, and thou breathest into it and it becometh a bird by My leave, and thou healest those born blind, and the lepers, by My leave. And behold! thou bringest forth the dead by My leave.And behold! I did restrain the Children of Israel from (violence to) thee when thou didst show them the clear Signs, and the unbelievers among them said: 'This is nothing but evident magic.' (5:110)

It is our firm belief that Only Allah brings back from dead, It is our firm belief that only Allah cures the lepers, It is our firm belief that only Allah blows life into bodies, so why has Allah made these as "Granted" qualities of Jesus (AS) too? The simple answer is given in verse itself i.e. all of this happens with the "Will of Allah"hence Istighatha (help) from Prophets and Awliya is not their personal power but in reality power of Allah. With this belief seeking their help could never be Shirk rather this is highest stage of Irfan (deep knowledge).

Quran states at another place: If ye two turn in repentance to Him, your hearts are indeed so inclined; But if ye back up each other against him, truly God is his Protector, �AND GIBRIEL, AND (EVERY) RIGHTEOUS ONE� among those who believe,- and furthermore, the angels - will back (him) up.(66:4)

Here Allah has Himself applied the word �MAWLA (PROTECTOR)� with Himself, also Gibriel and other believers.

The Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) has stated, "There are certain of Allah's servants that have been set aside to fulfil the necessities of the people. People will call to them in their times of need. They are protected from the punishment of Almighty Allah". (Jame Saghir) This Hadith Shareef clearly proves that one may call the Awliya Allah for assistance.

Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal narrates that before Sayyidina Umar radi Allahu anhu was buried in her room, Sayyidah Aishah radi Allahu anhu would go there without Hijab (head Covering), as the Prophet ( (sal-lal-lahu alai hi w) and Sayyiduna Abu Bakr radi Allahu anhu, who were buried there were her Husband and Father. However, when Sayyiduna Umar radi Allahu anhu got buried there, she would only go in the room with Hijab. (check Mishkat al-Masabih: Bab Ziyarat al-Qubur)

This action clearly shows that according to Sayyidah Aishah radi Allahu anhu, the dead can feel and see their visitors and are aware of those who come to them and how they come to them.

In another Sahih Hadith narrated by Ibn Hanbal, Hakim and Tabarani, Nabi Muhammad, sall-Allahu `alayhi wa sallam, saw a person sitting on a Qabr and told him: "Do not harm the person in the Qabr and he will not harm you."(la tu'zi sahib al-Qabri wala yu'zeek).

The 'Ulama of Hadith explained that this shows that the dead are affected by what people do at their Qubur. This Hadith also shows that the dead feel what happens on the top of their graves. Otherwise, why not sit on a Qabr, if the dead does not feel anything?

Therefore one should not harm or destroy Qubur. On the other hand showing respect at a Qabr and conveying your love to the inhabitant will also be felt by him and result in like action being returned to you That is why Muslims show outward respect to the Graves of those who they are ordered by Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala, to love, i.e. the Prophets and the Saliheen (Saints of Allah).

The second part of the Hadith proves that the dead have the power to harm as well as to benefit you, each in their own way and according to their status with Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala, of course.

Shah Abdul Aziz Dehlvi states: "The souls of Aulia gain more power and spirituality after their death". (Fatawa Azizia, Vol 2, Page 102)

Imam Shafi(Rehmatuallah aliye) visiting Tomb of Imam abu Hanifa (Rah) He describes his own experience about the blessings of the tomb of Imam Abū Hanīfah: I derive blessing from the person of Imam Abū Hanīfah and I visit his grave everyday. When I face a problem, I offer two optional cycles of prayer and visit his grave and (while standing) I pray to Allah to solve my problem. And I have not even left the place that my problem is solved.

►Khatīb Baghdādī has related the incident with a sound chain of transmission in his Tārīkh Baghdād (1:123)

►Ibn Hajar Haythamī, al-Khayrāt-ul-hisān fī manāqib-il-imām al-a�zam Abū Hanīfah (p.94)

► Muhammad Zāhid Kawtharī, Maqālāt (p.381)

►Ibn �Ābidīn Shāmī in Radd-ul-muhtār �alā Durr-il-mukhtār (1:41).

Imam Ibn Hajr Asqalani Imam Ibn Hajr Asqalani proving Yahyah Bin Yahya research said this proves Imam Ibn Hajr and Imam Hakim (rah) Belief (aqida) that going to tombs of Awliyas and asking through their Intercession is allowed. Ibn Hajr (rah) Writes: Imam Hakim (rah) said that he heard Abu Ali Nishapori that he said that I was in extreme depression that I saw Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) in my dream he said that go to grave of Yahya bin Yahya (rah) and do Istaghfar and ask for help through his Intercession your problem will be solved. Abu Ali Nishapori said I did like that and my problem was solved in the morning. [Ibn Hajr, Tahdhib ut-Tahdhib Volume 004, Page 398]

Imam Shams ud din Al Ramli (Rahimuhullah) on Istighatha � Istighatha i.e. Seeking Help from the Prophets and Messengers, the Saints, Ulama and upright people is �PERMITTED� after their passing away. The messengers, prophets and saints have (power to) help after their passing away because their miracles do not become abolished after their deaths. The Prophets are alive in their graves, praying and also performing hajj as it has been mentioned in many ahadith. Therefore the help from them shall be a miracle from them, the martyrs are also alive which is proven that they have been seen openly killing the disbelievers. [Fatawa al Ramli]

Hujjat ul Islam Imam Al-Ghazzali (Rahimuhullah) Imam Ghazzali (rah) said that whenever anyone is in some difficulty then he should ask the people of tombs for help, who are of (sacred) souls but have passed away (i.e. transferred into another dimension). There is no doubt in it that any person visiting (their tombs) gets spiritual help plus benefit from them and many times when their Waseela is presented in the court of Allah, the difficulties are removed [Tafsir Ruh ul Ma�ani, Volume 30, Page No. 24]

Imam Gazali Radi ALLAH Anho Also said: "If seeking help from a person in his life is lawful then it is lawful to seek help from him after his death". (Buhjatul Asraar)

Shah Wali�ullah Muhaddith Dehlawi(Radi ALLAH Anho) in his Ash'hatul-Lam'aat states: Today, if anyone develops a relation with the special Soul (Ruh-e-Khaas) and receives spiritual benefits from it, then it is not surprising that this excellence is achieved due to the Nisbah (relation) with Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Peace Be Upon Him) or Ameeril-Moh'mineen Sayyiduna Ali(Radi ALLAH Anho) or Ghouse-A�zam Sheikh Abdul-Qaadir Jilaani.

Shah Abdul Azeez Muhaddith Dehlawi(Radi ALLAH Anho) while discussing the Beloved Nabi(Peace Be Upon Him) comments in his Tafseer-e-Azeezi:

If any human achieves high spiritual status in this world, it is due to a small portion of excellence of Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Peace Be Upon Him) blessed to the Awliya of this Ummah. By the Barakah of this excellence, these Awliya become a spiritual retreat for humanity and made beloved in their hearts. Such was the state of Sayyiduna Ghousal-A�zam Sheikh Abdul-Qaadir Jilaani(Radi ALLAH Anho) and Sultaanul Masha'ikh Hadrat Nizaamudeen Awliya (Radi ALLAH Anho) - may ALLAH sanctify their souls.

Now question that arises here is that how these Believers the friends of Allah (Auliya-Allah) help from grave ? how can they listen from far distance ? how can they see so long ?...etc.

Before answering these Questions I would like to quote a hadith (actually it is Hadith-e-Qudsi) from Sahih Bukhari Shreef.

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) said, "Allah said, 'I will declare war against him who shows hostility to a pious worshipper of Mine. And the most beloved things with which My slave comes nearer to Me, is what I have enjoined upon him; and My slave keeps on coming closer to Me through performing Nawafil (praying or doing extra deeds besides what is obligatory) till I love him, so I become his sense of hearing with which he hears, and his sense of sight with which he sees, and his hand with which he grips, and his leg with which he walks; and if he asks Me, I will give him, and if he asks My protection (Refuge), I will protect him; (i.e. give him My Refuge) and I do not hesitate to do anything as I hesitate to take the soul of the believer, for he hates death, and I hate to disappoint him." (Sahih Bukhari sharif Volume 8, Book 76, Number 509)

First of all note the starting words, Allah Said : I will declare war against him who shows hostility to a pious worshipper of Mine. So it�s just a warning to those who deny the virtues the powers and the status of friends of Allah, and disrespect them and consider them as ordinary person and compare them with idols. So those who keep these views regarding friends of Allah, Allah declare war against them.

Now, one can imagine that to whom Allah declared war, he/she whether apparently looks like muslim and show knowledge of religion, actually tht person is Munafiq, and Allah has declared war against him/her.

Always remember, we are not discussing friends of normal person or our friends, it�s the matter of friends of Allah, to whom Allah say that they are my Friends, so now they are not like or equal to status and position of ordinary person. Obviously because he is friend of Allah. So there is also warning in Quran as well :
Behold! verily on the friends of Allah there is no fear, nor shall they grieve; (Surah Younus:61)

After declaring war against those who donot believe in Auliya-Allah, Allah said :

1. I become his sense of hearing with which he hears
2. his sense of sight with which he sees
3. his hand with which he grips
4. his leg with which he walks

Always remember Allah is pak from hand, legs eyes etc, now what these word here mean ?

Auliya Allah the friends of Allah doing worship and performing lots of Nawafil, they kill there nafs, They do not become Allah! That is why from hadith, Eye is of that wali that pious man, but power of watching is of Allah, ear is of that pious man, but power of hearing is of Allah, hand is still of that pious worshipper, but power in those hand is power of Allah, they do not become Allah (Naozobillah) but they become Mazhar of Qualities of All-Mighty Allah.

That is why we say tht seeing of that person is from vision of Allah, hearing of that person is from hearing power of Allah and helping through their hands is helping of Allah. They do not become Allah but from them Qualities and Allah�s powers becomes appearing.

Now answer to the questions and objections that how these Believers the friends of Allah (Auliya-Allah) help from grave ? how can they listen from far distance ? how can they see so long ? how can they understand different languages of the different peoples calling from different parts of the world ?... are crystal clear.

--Their vision is Allah�s vision, so is there anything hidden from Allah�s vision ?
--Their hearing is Allah�s Hearing, so that is why they can hear anyone who call them for help.
--Their helping and power is Allah�s help and power.

So that is why we say and believe that these friends of Allah can help according to verse Maida:55. And our believe is all from Quran and Authentic Hadiths it is not fake and self made,

Finally, some people generally quotes an Ayah of the Qur'an where the kuffar say that they worship idols to get closer to Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala, claiming that that is the same for those who visit the shrines of the Awliya of Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala. This is an utter misinterpretation of that Ayah. The kuffar were lying - they did not really and fully believe in Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala, but were only making excuses. Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala, instructed us not to swear at the "gods" of the kuffar, as these kuffar will then swear at Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala, (The Holy Qur'an 6:108). This proves that they did not really believe in Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala. In the battle of Uhud, the Kuffar were calling the names of their idols, when the Sahabah called the name of Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala!

Also, the kuffar explicitly said that they worship (Na'buduhum) their "gods" to get closer to Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala. Not a single Muslim out of all the millions of Muslims in the world who visit the Awliya claims to worship them. We only respect and love them and want to be close to them because Allah says: (Inna Rahmat Allahi Qaribun minal Muhsineen) i.e. Verily, the Rahmah (Mercy) of Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala, is close to the Pious Ones.

A simple Question -

If any one doesn�t like to have help on this earth from the pious, then why all the ummahs will turn towards Syedina Muhmmad Mustafa ( Sal-lal-lahu alaihi wa sallam ) and other awliyas on the day of judgement for help and Bakshish ?

In Sahih Muslim, it is narrated that Sayyidina Utbaan, radi Allahu `anh, always asked Nabi Muhammad, sall-Allahu `alayhi wa sallam, to pray in a certain part of his house, so that he too may pray there and receive blessings in this regard. Imam al-Nawawi says in Sharh Muslim vol.5 p.161 that there are three main things (Fawa�id) we learn from this Hadith:

It is permitted to get Barakah from Pious People and objects connected to them.
It is recommended to pray in the places where the pious used to pray.
It is recommended to seek Barakah from the places where the pious people resided.

Imam al-Ghazali says in his famous work Minhaj al-�Abideen (p.347) that the Wali of Allah reaches such a state that: �Allah gives Barakah in his Breath, Speech, Clothes, Company, places where he sat and even the Sand he walked on�.

If the Barakah IS THERE, what is wrong if we try to get it ?
If an accusation is made that people are kissing the Awliya out of worship, it remains the onus of the accusers to prove this, as we are all Muslims who say, �La ilaha ill-Allah, Muhammadun Rasul Allah.�

To brand a Muslim as a Kafir is one of the gravest sins in Islam. We worship Allah, subhanaHu wa Ta`ala, and honour his friends.

Shirk is related to one�s internal belief concerning Allah, it is not about kissing and respecting. To consider acts of love and respect as Shirk is a trivialization of the concept of Shirk. In fact, to call Muslims as Mushriks on issues of difference is the real Bid�ah that is plaguing the Ummah of Islam

For More Information -

http://www.correctislamicfaith.com/factsofsunnipractices
http://www.ahlus-sunna.com
http://www.ja-alhaq.com/

Edited by knightrider786 - 18 September 2010 at 5:15am
aleekhan41 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleekhan41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 9:59am
This post describers in-depth detail  regarding Surah Al-Fatiha which is the opening Surah of the Holy Quran and which every one reads in prayers five time a day too. Quran Online is a resource on the internet from where one can read the Quran. Great work keep up the good work, May Allah bless you.

Edited by aleekhan41 - 14 October 2010 at 10:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic