IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Questions, possibly reversion, correspondance  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions, possibly reversion, correspondance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions, possibly reversion, correspondance
    Posted: 07 September 2010 at 8:23am
Hello. I am currently Buddhist. I have been studying Islam, and am to the last single step before reversion.

I have several simple questions before I proceed, however.

I am very close. My mind sees the beauty of Islam, and my heart feels it's truth. But my mind has been shaped and sharpened in a singular way, having risen to professional debate work in the past. This has some obstacles conflicting with my heart. Has anyone faced something similar? I cannot take the final step of shahada without guidance on this, as I do not feel it would be completely honest.

I live in a very rural, fundamentalist Christian area I am not afraid of having this faith, but there are no Muslims or mosques anywhere within reason. I would really like to have correspondence with Muslims, or know of a good place for fellowship and support, as I would not like to make this journey alone if possible.

My family is likely to turn from me if I do this. This is another reason I would like to know of a good way to interact with Muslims online.

I also have some questions before I would revert. How soon should prayers start? I have studied the forms, but have not prayed, and I am afraid I would do it wrong and show disrespect.

How do you handle unsolicited, aggressive intolerance?

I currently enjoy relaxing by playing video games. Is there an Islamic opinion on this?

These are just a few of the many questions I seek guidance of. Peace be upon you, and thank you for any answers you may care to give.

Edited by Spot - 07 September 2010 at 4:13pm
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 11:05am
Hi Spot.  Welcome to the forum.  I am glad to hear that you feel so close to reverting.  Alhamdullillah!  Though I am not a revert myself, I do know some people who are.  So, I do believe I can help you, inshaAllah.  If you would like private correspondence, I can give you my email.  If you prefer to talk on the forum, that is fine as well. 

Regarding your questions, most of the prayers can be performed within a period of time.  These include Zuhr, Asr and Isha.  It is recommended that you perform them as soon as possible (once the Azhan has been given) and not delay them without a good reason.  Fajr and Maghrib are different, as there is not a lot of time.  Depending on where you live, you may have an hour and a half for Fajr before the sun rises (after which it becomes Kazah).  

And you can download software for Azhan here:  http://www.islamicfinder.org/athanDownload.php

Concerning how to pray, you don't need to feel like you are being disrespectful.  Practice makes perfect so the more you perform them, the better you will get.  Trust me.  Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very simple. 

If you come across intolerance, just try to ignore it or if you can, avoid it outright.  Be patient and courteous. 

I love video games myself!  They get your mind off of the everyday grind.  Islam allows for recreation, as long as it does not interfere with our duties to family and to Allah. 

Walaikum as-salaam and inshaAllah this will help you in your journey.  
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic