IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ramadan "help" from non-Muslim  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ramadan "help" from non-Muslim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justme213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramadan "help" from non-Muslim
    Posted: 14 August 2010 at 2:59am
Before I ask my question, I just want to give a brief background so that others may know where I am at, so to speak,in inquiring. I am a Christian woman that came to my faith in my adult years after not really believing in anything during my childhood. After coming to believe, I have not lived a life that has been consistently in line with my beliefs and during times of testing and hardship have not always come out on top...backsliding as they refer to it in the Christian community. Just like anything else, to adhere to ones faith requires consistency and discipline...and it helps greatly to be around like minded individuals, which was always my downfall. I have recently made a renewed commitment in my desire for holiness and I was seeking out ways in which to renew my focus on other-centeredness. I am firmly centered in my beliefs as a Christian; however, I am one that seeks understanding and appreciation of other cultures and religions...which I learned(oddly enough) while spending time learning about the roots of my faith in the Jewish synagogue. While spending time with them, I realized that many in my own faith were very short sided and non tolerant of others faiths. At the time that I sought to learn more about Jewish beliefs, it seemed that I was meeting many people of that faith and wanted to know more about what they believe and I enjoyed learning biblical languages.
At this time in my life, I have been meeting many Muslims and I began to have a renewed desire to pick up the Qur'an that I have had laying dormant for some time. When I found out that it is the time of Ramadan (and having participated in fasts previously for my own spirit)...I thought of asking if it is appropriate for a non Muslim to offer to assist those who are participating in the fasting, with cleaning/household chores. I have previously cleaned homes and cared for children during other times of unemployment in my life. I am unemployed at this time; however, I was considering doing this on a charitable basis during this Holy month. I would like some feedback as to whether or not this would be seen as appropriate by a Muslim family and how I could go about seeing if there is a need for this kind of service in my area. I know that, unfortunately, many of us are suspicious of anyone offering anything for free, yet, because I have recently fallen so far from where I desire myself to be as a good Christian...I would like to do it, not only as the obvious help to another, but to feed my own spirit, as well.
Thank you for reading my post and any feedback would be appreciated.
-Dee

Edited by Justme213 - 14 August 2010 at 3:12am
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2010 at 7:58pm
Hi Dee,

Welcome to the forum..

It is nice to "meet" you.

I am not sure who you would see, often going into peoples' homes can be tricky if you don't know them. And then finding people.. that's another issue.

It is sweet of you, really. I am sure their are elderly or single moms in need of assistance. Finding them is another.. Smile

Where do you live in the states?
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Justme213 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justme213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2010 at 8:24pm
Dear Hayfa,
Thank you for your welcome and kind message. I like what you said about doing things for the soul...it creates a beautiful picture and makes me thing of the Christian idea of "living waters" springing up in our soul.
I live in California, Riverside county...so I would think that there are not quite as many Muslims as, say, in Los Angeles or larger metro areas. I have previously advertised for housecleaning services on domestic sites and local advertising, yet, I would not think that too many would be on the internet at this time, especially those that have true need.
-Dee
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2010 at 9:49pm
Hi Dee,

Yes you are right.. and really its about trust. Take for instance, my sister, has two kids (she is not Muslim) but it would be hard, unless trough an organized group to trust someone they barely know into the house.  As you can imagine.

if you want to help, your best bet is to volunteer through some time of volunteer group. Its easier for you and them.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Justme213 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justme213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 3:18pm

Dear Hayfa,

Thank you for your help with this matter. It seems as though I have been helping...just a little...in another way. My reading of the Qur'an and learning about this holy time has sparked many discussions within my family-whom are even more conservative Christians than I.
I used to think in a similar way...that my beliefs are right and I didn't really care to learn what others believe and the circle of people in my association were those of the same beliefs. Though it is good to be around those like minded in order to encourage one another...tolerance is built by knowledge and peace by being able to see the others point of view...even if we don't agree. The time that I spent in the Jewish synagogue-I hadn't planned on converting, I just wanted to see another point of view and where my own faiths traditions came from. After that experience, I no longer "witness" of my faith...not with words anyway I don't feel the same about proselytizing. I think that each should keep their own faith and I can see how irritating and divisive it may feel to someone of another faith to be in America with the right wing ranting about our Christian nation(I have since become moderate) and how kids must feel when Christian holidays came around and such.

Well, I shall check back here from time to time in hopes of learning more directly from the source . Can't always trust Wikipedia to be correct, lol.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Dee
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic