IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Couple of questions  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Couple of questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elijah-boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2010 at 10:18pm
ACE:

" that's where you need to look into for what Islam actually is"
--- not sure what you mean in this context.

P.S> Sorry for long pause in discussion.  I had lots of things to do in my new job.
abuzaid View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuzaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2010 at 6:15pm
As in the case of any language, you will find variety of English meaning for an Arabic. Here only one word "fitnah" is used which is translated as oppression and tumult.
If you look at dictionary, it gives following meaning for the word fitnah

إِغْراء
, seduction , seducement , appeal , temptation , enticement , come-on , inveiglement , attraction
سِحْر
, spell , voodooism , witchery , sorcery , oomph , charisma , infatuation , witching , captivation , glamor , enchantment , glamour , attraction , appeal , bewitchment , charm , fascination
شَغَب , اِضْطِراب
, riot , noisiness , sedition , roar , rumpus , tumult , yelling , tumult , vociferation , noise , furore , turmoil , clatter , clamor , putsch , pother , commotion , fanfare , furor , clangor , out cry
مِحْنَة
, calamity , severe trial , gauntlet , disaster , adversity , tribulation , affliction
نَوْع مِنْ نَبَات السَّنْط
, cassie , sponge tree , sweet acacia

http://dictionary.sakhr.com/SearchResults.aspx

So, to really understand what Quran meant at this particular place, you need to see what Prophet, his companion and their followers understood from this verse.
Thus, I think what you need to discuss is that how early followers of Islam followed this verse instead of looking for dictionary meaning

Edited by abuzaid - 24 June 2010 at 6:16pm
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by elijah-boy elijah-boy wrote:

CHRYSALIS:

Here it comes, I'd like to know what the "oppresion" means here. Same question regarding "tumulut" if you wouldn't mind

"Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loves not transgressors. And slay them wherever you catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter... But if they cease, God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful... If they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression" (2:190-193).

Elijah,
what a beautiful verse you quote, can you find anything more Just command than that anywhere else other than the Quran for the oppressed against the oppressor?

You can write books about oppression but dictionary.com defines it as "the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome,cruel, or unjust manner." and I think in English that will be pretty close if not exact, and I think word means what it means: that "if some entity oppress you as a people, which is to exercise authority over you in a burdensome, cruel or unjust manner" what would you do in that case? what would be a Just response without you doing the same in return once the oppressor stopping from his oppression. What a beautiful and Just formula God laid out in the Quran, others can copy it, but cannot bring anything better, can they?
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 07 July 2010 at 9:42pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 5:48pm
Maybe Honeto was talking about the spelling of oppression as oppresion.  Just a guess.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 9:43pm
don't tell anyone Wink
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

elisheba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elisheba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2011 at 6:21am
Oppression( my understanding ) is someone trying to take more power than even The Almighty takes. HE does not take away our freedom of choice...but there are people who want to take it away. Therefore I see oppressors as attempting to usurp the exclusive right of The MOST HIGH. This seems like a very great sin but I do not know the word for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic