IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Importance of Prayer in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Importance of Prayer in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamicnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Importance of Prayer in Islam
    Posted: 12 May 2010 at 3:49am

Prayer in Islam, is worship of Allah the Almighty, Praising and Thanking Him, acknowledging His Sovereignty and committing oneself to obey and remember Him at all times. It is the central part of a way of life, which is based on submission to the Owner of all.

The Muslim must seek to remember Allah at all times. He must be mindful that everything he is, everything he does, everything he knows and understands, is due to the Mercy of Allah. In acknowledging this, he remembers the fact that death lies in wait and he does not know when he will depart from this worldly life.

Essential requisites for offering Prayer

1. The worshipper must be a Muslim
  2. The worshipper's clothes and body must be free from all impurities
  3. The place where the Prayer is to be offered should be pure and clean
  4. The part of the body between the navel and the knees of a male worshipper must be fully covered, and the whole body excepting the hands and face of a female worshipper.
  5. The worshipper must face the Kaba in the Great Mosque at Mecca and the direction of Ka'ba outside Mecca.
  6. The worshipper must form the Niyyat (i.e., intention) in his or her mind of the particular Prayer, Fard (Obligatory) or Sunnat or Nafl (Optional), he or she is about to offer.
  7. The worshipper must observe the times and rules prescribed for the respective Prayers.
  8. The worshipper must have performed the Wudu (i.e., ablution).
  9. The worshipper must have performed Ghusl (i.e., the washing of the whole body), if he or she was in a state of grave impurity.

What is Wudu?

Wudu is the act of washing those parts of the body which are generally exposed.

How do you perform the Wudu?

I perform the Wudu in the following manner:

1. I make myself sure that the water with which I am going to perform Wudu is pure, clean and fresh (not used before) and its color, taste and smell are unchanged
  2. I form and have the full intention of performing the Wudu for offering prayer
  3. I recite "Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim" i.e., in the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
  4. I then wash my hands upto the wrists three times, passing the in between each other
  5. I cleanse my mouth with brush or finger, and gargle with water three times
  6. Then I rinse the nostrils thrice with water
  7. I wash the face from the forehead to the chin bone and from ear to ear three times
  8. I then wash the right hand arm followed by the left upto the elbows three times.
  9. I then brush up the whole head with wet hands, pass the wet tips of the index finger inside and the wet tips of the thumb outside the ears, and pass over the other surface of the hands over the nape and the sides of the neck.
  10. I then wash the feet upto the ankles, the right foot first and then the left, taking care to wash in between the toes, each three times.

The obligatory Acts in the performance of Wudu

1. Washing the face
  2. Washing both the arms upto the elbows.
  3. Brushing over a quarter of the head with wet hands
  4. Washing both feet up to the ankles

Notes:

1. If the water to be used for Wudu be stagnant, one should make sure that the cistern measures ten yards by ten yards by one foot and is full of water
  2. If a person wears impermeable foot-gear after the performance of the Wudu, it is not necessary to remove it for a fresh Wudu. One may just pass over it wet fingers as if one were tracing lines on it. Travelers can take advantage of this concession for three days and three nights, others for one day and one night.

Ghusl (Bath)

Ghusl should be made in a place of total privacy and one should not face towards the Kiblah while making Ghusl. Ghusl may be performed standing or seated, preferably seated. Use sufficient water, don't skimp nor be wasteful. One should abstain from speaking while performing Ghusl. It is better not to read any Kalimah or Aayah while bathing. Be aware of these rules whilst making Ghusl.

Ghusl becomes obligatory after:

1. Sexual intercourse
  2. Discharge or effusion of semen
  3. Completion of menses and confinement
The obligatory condition that must be fulfilled for a valid performance of an obligatory Ghusl are:
  1. To rinse the mouth thoroughly, so that all the parts are cleaned properly.
  2. To rinse the nose right upto the nasal bone
  3. To wash all parts of the body thoroughly, including the hair.
The best way of performing in obligatory Ghusl is:
  1. The person should have the intention (Niyyat) to cleanse the body from grave impurity at the time of performing the bath
  2. He or she should wash the hands upto the wrists thrice
  3. Then the private parts must be washed thoroughly thrice
  4. Filth must be removed, if there be any, from any of the parts of the body.
  5. One should then perform an ablution
  6. One should lastly wash thrice all the parts of the body, including the hair thoroughly.

Tayammum

When a person is sick or access cannot be had to water, one may perform what is called Tayammum in place of Wudu or Ghusl.

The essential requisites for the performance of a Tayammum are:

1. To have the intention in mind to perform the Tayammum for the removal of impurities
  2. To strike pure earth lightly with the palms of both the hands
  3. To pass the palms of the hands over the face once
  4. To again strike lightly pure earth with the palms of both hands and rub alternately from the tips of the fingers to the elbows, the forearms and the hands.
The acts or circumstances which make the Wudu void are:
  1. Answering the call of nature; discharge of semen or issue of worm or sandy stone or any impure matter from the front or the hind private parts
  2. The passage of wind from the hind private part
  3. The act of vomiting a mouthful of matter
  4. Emission of blood, puss or yellow matter from a wound, boil, pimple, etc., to such an extent that is passes the limits of the mouth of the wound, etc.
  5. Loss of consciousness through sleep, drowsiness, etc.
  6. Temporary insanity, fainting fit, hysteria or intoxication.
  7. Audible laughter during prayer
Same occurrences nullify tayammum also?

Yes; the same occurrences nullify Tayammum also, but in addition Tayammum is nullified as soon as the cause for performing it is removed i.e., if the sick person removers, or, if recourse has been taken to it for lack of water, and access to water becomes possible.

The following three acts are forbidden without the performance of Wudu or Tayammum as the case may be:

1. Prayer
  2. Walking round the Holy Ka'ba in Mecca
  3. Carrying or touching the Holy Quran

Note: Children who have not attained the age of discretion, i.e., about seven years, can carry the Holy Quran for the purpose of studying.

Does Wudu convey any inner meaning besides the cleanliness of the body?

Yes, the primary object is cleanliness or purity, but spiritual cleanliness and purity, i.e., freedom from sins which is the main object of religion. It is preferable, therefore, to recite the following after Wudu:
Allahummaj'alni minattawwabeena waj'alni minal mutatahahhireen.
'O Allah! make me from among those who repent for their sins and from among those who keep themselves pure.

Azan is the first call to Prayer
When and why is the Azan uttered?

The Azan is uttered in a loud voice to announce to the faithful that it is time for the Obligatory Prayer and to invite them to offer the same.

How is Azan recited?

Azan is recited in a loud voice by the Muezzin (the crier) facing the direction of Ka'ba in the following words which are said in the order mentioned:

(1) Allahu Akbar
i.e. "Allah is Most Great" (four times).

(2) Ash-hadu an la ilaha ill-Allah
i.e., "I bear witness that there is none worthy of being worshipped except Allah" (twice)

(3) Ash-hadu anna Muhammad-ar-rasoolullah
i.e., "I bear witness that Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah" (twice)

(4) Hayya 'alas-Salah
i.e., "Come to Prayer" (turning the face alone to the right and saying it twice)

(5) Hayya 'alal-falah
i.e., "come to Success" (turning the face alone to the left and saying it twice)

(6) Allahu Akbar
i.e., " Allah is Most Great" (twice)

(7) La illaha ill-Allah,
i.e., "There is no deity but Allah (once)

Note:- The following phrase is added after item (5) in the Azan of the early morning prayer:
As-salatu khairum minannaum
i.e., "Prayer is better than sleep" (to be said twice)

Obligatory (Fard) Factors in Prayer

The Obligatory Factors in a Prayer are seven in number:

1. To say takbir-i-tahrimah
  2. Qiyam, i.e., standing erect and placing the right hand upon left below the navel
  3. To recite some verses from the Holy Quran
  4. Ruku', i.e., bowing down in such a way as to grasp the knees with the hands keeping the back in a straight line so as to for a right angle with the legs
  5. Sajdah, i.e., prostrating in such a way that both the palms of the hands, the forehead, the nasal bone, the knees and the toes of both feet touch the ground; there must be sufficient space between the arms and the chest and the legs and the belly so that they do not touch each other but remain separate.
  6. Qa'dah i.e., sitting down in a reverential posture, keeping the right foot erect on the toes and the left one in a reclining position under the rumps
  7. To signify the completion of prayer by work or action.

Edited by islamicnet - 12 May 2010 at 3:52am
Afzal Sheikh View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afzal Sheikh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2018 at 2:03am
Salah is the second and most important pillar of Islam.

muhammadfazal View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muhammadfazal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 12:06am
fatimunnisa View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatimunnisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 6:32am
The best practice for a muslim is to do zikr of Allah with heart
and to submit and surrender to Allah completely in prayer and feel the greatness of Allah in his aura.
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 2:20am
And one of those secrets behind wudhu (ablution) is that we will be known by Rasulullah Shallallahu 'Alaihi Wasallam when in the afterlife because of the light of wudhu that shines on our faces. Likewise, one of those secrets behind praying (shalat) is that the doomsday will not happen as long as there are people who still doing prayers (shalat).
Jazakallahu Khair.
Islamkingdom_English View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Islamkingdom_English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 4:58am
May Allah reward you,
I want to add to your useful information : 

How to pray effectively: 

The Prophet ﷺ said: “Pray as you have seen me pray.” [ Source: Bukhari.]

It was reported on the authority of ‘A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) who said: “The Messenger of Allah used to begin the Salah by saying Allahu Akbar, and reciting Alhamdulillahi Rabbil’a’lameen. And he would, when making ruku’, neither raise his head nor lower it, but rather (maintain) a degree between the two. And he would, when rising up from ruku’, not prostrate until he had stood up completely. And he would, when rising up from prostration, not prostrate (again) until he had sat back completely. He would recite At-Tahiyyah at (the end of) every two rak’at. He would lay his left foot down while making the right foot upright (when in the sitting position). He used to prohibit the sitting posture of Shaytan, and a person outstretching their arms (on the ground) as a dog does when sitting. And he would end the prayer by saying As-Salaamu ‘Alaikum.” [ Source: Muslim.]

to continue the steps of salah, kindly visit our site: https://www.al-feqh.com/en/description-of-salat-islamic-prayer

#how_to_pray, #prayer_times, #wudu, #Iqamah, #types_of_purification, #Islamkingdom

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic