IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Asia-Pacific
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Perso-Arabic script on Pakistani Vessel. Urdu?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perso-Arabic script on Pakistani Vessel. Urdu?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 3:07pm

Hi Chrysalis,

Thank you so very much for this translation!!!! You will need to find a third party host to upload the edited picture to .... then you can load it via the software on this thread .... or you can send it to me and I can post it(disregard the brackets and fill in @ for at & . for dot:

Now to answer your questions. First of all why am I interested in what it says?

You would think I would have been satisfied alone with the beautiful blend of flora & calligraphy in hues of cobalt & copper oxides. However curiosity killed the cat & there's always a chance of a tidbit of provenance/identification when so much script is present.

Quote Those words simple say 'school of' in the arabic script. Why would they use an english phrase? might not be that old after all. Its not very common to mix english words in classical poetry. Strange.

I don't think so strange. These pots were almost always commissioned by travellers, mostly Britishers. They saw the beautiful calligraphy on the tombs & monuments and they wanted a momento of similar artistic content. Sometimes they would write down what they wanted in english - to have it translated & written into Perso-Arabic script, sometimes they wanted poetry, sometimes Quran passages, sometimes they left it up to kashigar who would then have to pass it onto the calligrapher. 

However, the best laid plans of mice & men often go astray  - and what was intended to be written often gets altered a bit, lost in translation or perhaps totally changed if there were any reservations ore uneasy feelings about the content of the calligraphy requested. So with that in mind the words should be taken in consideration with the "context" of which & by who they were commissioned.

Unfortunately not alot is written or known about early years of this glazed ornamental pottery, an industry that really only came to be as function of the Great Exhibition of 1851, subsequent exhibitions & the onset of the British Raj.

Oh sure, the glazed tile industries flourished in Multan & Sindh, in particular, for centuries before - but the ornamental surahis & plates, & bowls etc. were mostly a newer creation(post 1851) made for export to London etc. or for those tourists who wished a memory of the subcontinent ... and in the process ressurected the glazing technique which had been somewhat dormant for several decades.

Edited by Kashigar - 06 December 2010 at 4:26am
Kashigar View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 5:51pm

Hi Chrysalis,

Googling some of the translations/words/phrases you gave me - I came up with following find. Could it be (in part) a ghazal from the Hafiz e Shiraz?

English & Urdu Translation of Hafiz 13
English and Urdu translation of the odes of Hafiz e Shiraz, the Sun God of poetry

Ghazal 13

Persian:  Hungam e naubahar gul az bostan juda
              Ya Rab mabaad heech kus az doostan juda
Urdu:      Gul say bahar maen na kero gulsitan juda
              Hotay haen dostoun say kabhee dostan juda
English:=== Oh, pluck not a flower from the garden in spring
                  Just think of the sorrow such parting will bring

See the rest of the translation here:

Edited by Kashigar - 03 December 2010 at 6:01pm
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Kashigar Kashigar wrote:

Hi Chrysalis,

Googling some of the translations/words/phrases you gave me - I came up with following find. Could it be (in part) a ghazal from the Hafiz e Shiraz?

Persian:  Hungam e naubahar gul az bostan juda
              Ya Rab mabaad heech kus az doostan juda

You hit the nail on the head!

It most certainly is this verse. I can now make out words that I couldn't before. Such as 'dostan' and 'heech'. What I read as 'bhaij' is actually 'heej'. The words are fitting into the puzzle. Good job!

Will try to upload the image today if i can.

Edited by Chrysalis - 05 December 2010 at 9:45pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Kashigar View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 6:28pm

Thanks again Chrysalis, verses by Hafiz, the 'Musician of Words' - I'm very intrigued. Big%20smile

Unfortunately, I can't quite seem to make out your written translations on the image.  It might well be my old/aging computer screen or perhaps it would be possible to upload a slightly larger file image size - in so that your red text translation is a bit more legible?

No hurry at all, at your convenience.

Edited by Kashigar - 07 December 2010 at 6:33pm
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Kashigar Kashigar wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't quite seem to make out your written translations on the image.  It might well be my old/aging computer screen or perhaps it would be possible to upload a slightly larger file image size - in so that your red text translation is a bit more legible?

No hurry at all, at your convenience.

I think the size got distorted while uploading/downloading/using Paint. I'm not very tech-efficient ;)

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic