IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Al-Jazeera video on Veil  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Al-Jazeera video on Veil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Al-Jazeera video on Veil
    Posted: 23 December 2009 at 1:05pm
A program called "Everywoman" on Al-Jazeera does a piece on "The Veil" and attitudes Muslim women have towards it, interesting watch:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlkaX4csHyM&feature=channel

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cD16_AQAU&feature=channel

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 1:23pm

Asslamu Alaikum

You always post good videos I love to watch mashalla. I always downloaded them and watch them at college during the break. I did this and will watch this tomorrow inshallah. Then, I will tell you what I learned from this, inshallah.

And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2009 at 4:06am

Ok! sister! I wated the videos and I really like them. Mashallah! they are VERY rewarding.Smile
    Just two things I did not agree on because in fact they are not correct. 

1- When the sister said that a good Jewish can be better than a Muslim,, this is WRONG. If a person takes shahadah then it makes him better that any Jewish or Christian even if he he was the worst Muslim in the world. Except if this good Kafir revert, then he does good deeds and can be better than the person who was born in Islam. That is why we need to study more about Tawheed to know how Allah put it the first thing and the base of everything. Wink

2- The other WRONG thing she said was no body can tell why the Muslimah wears the Hijab. The majority of Muslims wear Hijab because it is an order from Allah that we must obey. But as what she said still some sisters do not wear for this reason, especially here, some wear it because it is part of the traditions, some here wear it in Madinah because every one wear Hijab and they do not want to look weird and strange in front of others. BUT OUTSIDE Saudi Arabia, when the woman is more FREE to take off her Hijab or to wear it, I do not think A muslimah will wear it for any other reason, but to obey Allah. And she amazed me when she said some girls she knows wear it to catch a good  husband.Ouch
  And yeah I understand what drives her away from  religious environment. Because some are very strict and judge a lot. I have met some sisters like this and believe me if you are in the beginning of your way to be a better Muslim, they are not helpful.Confused
 I believe the sister took off her Hijab again because she met some of those. BUT, it is not an excuse when Allah asks her about her Hijab.Cry

I know some sisters, may Allah guide us, they are so tough on the sinner and never understand. I know one of them who is always chasing me to join their class and I am running away. I do not want to be of those Muslims who judge others and be so strict on them. I do not want to lose my smile and fun in life. They do not smile, they say everything is haram and they consider everyone who doesn't do even the sunna (not wajib) is a weak believer.Shocked

May Allah be pleased. We should not let those people drive us away from the right way.

peace

Edited by Full of Hopes - 27 December 2009 at 4:59am
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2009 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Full of Hopes Full of Hopes wrote:

Ok! sister! I wated the videos and I really like them. Mashallah! they are VERY rewarding.Smile
    Just two things I did not agree on because in fact they are not correct. 

I'm glad you liked the videos sis. It shows us how diverse muslims are, and what different sisters think about Hijaab etc. May Allah grant us all hidayath and make it easy to practise Islam like we were supposed to.

I liked what the Egyptian sister was saying, and how she had to quit her job because of Hijab ! I find it strange that despite living in a muslim country, she faces problems because of Hijab! I found that a bit sad.

1- When the sister said that a good Jewish can be better than a Muslim,, this is WRONG. If a person takes shahadah then it makes him better that any Jewish or Christian even if he he was the worst Muslim in the world. Except if this good Kafir revert, then he does good deeds and can be better than the person who was born in Islam. That is why we need to study more about Tawheed to know how Allah put it the first thing and the base of everything. Wink

I understand what you mean Sis, and I agree that as Muslims we believe that a person who has said Shahadah will be one of the succesful ones compared to a good person who does Shirk, according to our Imaan.

But I dont agree that a good Jew cannot be better than a bad muslim. Infact, I think Allah will be stricter to judge a Muslim, because he has seen the light of Islam - yet still is behaving badly ! which is against sunnah! Is that not a tiny part of kufr also? To reject the good teachings of Allah & Rasool? Infact a bad muslim actually does a dis-service to Islam! and gives Islam a bad name, almost like anti-dawah! Maybe the good kafir has not heard of Islam, and has yet to gain da'waah?

Here on this earth - we cannot say who is good and bad based on belief alone, because so many Muslims behave so badly, yet some non-muslims behave so nice (they do some things Sunnah ask us to! unknowingly) . As a muslim, I will always side with and support the person who does good - even if it means going against my brother or sister in Islam who is doing something bad. Infact, there is also a hadith like that. (Allah knows best ofcoursE)

Oh, and I know you weren't saying anything negative, but just thought I'd expand on this for the benefit of our non-muslim readers.

Quote And she amazed me when she said some girls she knows wear it to catch a good  husband.Ouch

In some places (or circles), wearing Hijab can actually discourage suitors ! Its true!

Anyway, I also agree with you that we should not be trying to 'figure out' the reason why a Muslimah is wearing a Hijaab, we should assume the positive (think good of our sister). Her intention is something b/w her & Allah.

And yeah I understand what drives her away from  religious environment. Because some are very strict and judge a lot. I have met some sisters like this and believe me if you are in the beginning of your way to be a better Muslim, they are not helpful.Confused

I know what you mean ! Confused The best Da'ees are those who have good manners and a pleasant disposition. I have also met some people like that ! some muslims approach them with enthusiasm thinking our brother with a beard or sister in hijab will help us with our problems, but they end up bieng very strict or a bit too aggressive.

Quote I believe the sister took off her Hijab again because she met some of those. BUT, it is not an excuse when Allah asks her about her Hijab.Cry

Don't feel sad sis, Allah alone gives hidayath to whom He chooses. May Allah help her in her deen too...

Quote I know some sisters, may Allah guide us, they are so tough on the sinner and never understand. I know one of them who is always chasing me to join their class and I am running away. I do not want to be of those Muslims who judge others and be so strict on them. I do not want to lose my smile and fun in life. They do not smile, they say everything is haram and they consider everyone who doesn't do even the sunna (not wajib) is a weak believer.Shocked

I was reading something a few days ago, the sahaba said that Prophet Muhammad did not always talk of religion all the time. He would choose a time when the sahaba were in a good pleasant mood and then he would do da'waah and he did not always bore them with serious talk. SubhanAllah! We cannot chase or harass people into becoming better Muslims ! Our actions & manners should do our Da'waah for us.

JazakAllah for you input Sis. Smile

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 9:35am
But I dont agree that a good Jew cannot be better than a bad muslim. Infact, I think Allah will be stricter to judge a Muslim, because he has seen the light of Islam - yet still is behaving badly ! which is against sunnah! Is that not a tiny part of kufr also? To reject the good teachings of Allah & Rasool? Infact a bad muslim actually does a dis-service to Islam! and gives Islam a bad name, almost like anti-dawah! Maybe the good kafir has not heard of Islam, and has yet to gain da'waah?

You know its fascinating as I have thought about this. When you see people commit major crimes against Islam and are "Muslim" I guess it goes back to the center of what makes someone a Muslim... Belief or Belief + actions... always a debate.

I enjoyed the video.. it goes to show that we women are as varied and so individual. .

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

You know its fascinating as I have thought about this. When you see people commit major crimes against Islam and are "Muslim" I guess it goes back to the center of what makes someone a Muslim... Belief or Belief + actions... always a debate.

I guess the closest answer to this we can find in Islam is something like this (which is Seekshidayath's current signature Smile) :

Abdullah ibn Al-Mu�taz said :

The knowledge of a hypocrite is in his speech, while the knowledge of a believer is in his actions.

If the "belief" we have is mere words and hollow, then we need to re-evaluate it, because it becomes "Munaafqat a.k.a Hypocrisy". Just something that popped into my mind when I saw Seek's siggy. Authentic/True belief will mirror itself in actions.

I enjoyed the video.. it goes to show that we women are as varied and so individual. .

Exactly ! Not to mention we all have personal Jihad's of our own. . .

Edited by Chrysalis - 28 December 2009 at 9:51am
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 2:32pm
And it was interesting Chrysalis when I was in Pakistan the ONLY time I felt awkward was when I was with a woman who wore a sleeveless Shalwar Kameez. It was one thing in her home but then gonig out to dinner..whoa.. thre me off. Even the Christian women I met did not wear it outdoor with no outer garment.

Another point of the video it goes to show howe diffcult it is for women in almost any society to escape the 'image' or 'outer' focus of being women.  Everywhere women must contend with spending amazing  too much mental energy on it. And one can say we women are 'trapped' here in the US or the west  but  its clear its all over, just manifests itself in different ways.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 1:08am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

And it was interesting Chrysalis when I was in Pakistan the ONLY time I felt awkward was when I was with a woman who wore a sleeveless Shalwar Kameez. It was one thing in her home but then gonig out to dinner..whoa.. thre me off. Even the Christian women I met did not wear it outdoor with no outer garment.

Exactly, even Christian & Hindu women in Pakistan wear modest clothes, and they do it out of their own preference.

Talking about awkward, we had some friends staying over -  slightly westernized ones (scuze the term, donno how else to xplain). Anyway when we were going out, I put on my headscarf and their 5yr old asked the mom why I was wearing that ! It was a bit awkward, and then the mom explained and said - "bcz she likes it, everybody is different & its what makes her special" . . . Embarrassed . . . but the kid was really curious...he was so used to seeing me without it at home, he told me i looked better without it. Tongue I think the mom handled it pretty nicely considering that they have quite anti-hija & anti-beard views.

And one can say we women are 'trapped' here in the US or the west  but  its clear its all over, just manifests itself in different ways.

Exactly... Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic