IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Virtues Of Dhikr in these Blessed Days  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virtues Of Dhikr in these Blessed Days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtues Of Dhikr in these Blessed Days
    Posted: 23 November 2009 at 12:44am

Bismillah ArRahman Araheem

Virtues Of Dhikr in these Blessed Days

الكاتب/ English member   
22/11/2009

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh (peace be upon you)�On the occasion of the first days of Dhul-Hijjah in which the Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) encouraged to recite a lot of Tasbih (saying: "Subhan Allah [Glory be to Allah]"), Tahmid (saying: "Alhamdulillah [All praise is due to Allah]"), Tahlil (saying: "La ilaha illa Allah [There is no god except Allah]"), and Takbir (saying: �Allahu Akbar [Allah is the Greatest]").  

The Messenger of Allah (May peace and blessings be upon him) said: �There are no days in which righteous deeds are more significant or beloved to Allah then these ten days, so you should recite a lot of Tasbih, Tahmid, Tahlil and Takbir therein�. 

�The virtue of the four words: Subhan Allah, Al-Hamdulillah, La Ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar�

Abdul-Raziq ibn Abdul-Muhsin Al-Badr (May Allah keep him sound and safe) have compiled the following: Al-Hamdulillah Rab Al-`Alamin (All Praise is due to Allah, the Lord of all worlds), and peace and blessings be upon the master of all Messengers, our Prophet, his family, and all his Companions. To continue: Allah (May Allah be Glorified and Exalted) has singled out four words with great virtues and qualities which indicate their high rank, significance, and their privilege over other words. They are: Subhan Allah, Al-Hamdulillah, La ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar.

Many texts have been mentioned in their virtue indicating their importance and the great rewards and merits resulting from saying them in the worldly life and in the hereafter.

Therefore, I have seen that it would be much useful to gather a group of which in one place, and this is mentioned in part of my book �Fiqh Al-Ad`iyah W-Al-Adhkar� (The Jurisprudence of supplications and remembrance of Allah). Some fellow brothers have preferred that it would be mentioned in a separate article so that its benefit would be comprehensive �By Allah�s Permission- So O Muslim fellow! Here are the virtues which you shall ponder, perhaps it would encourage you, strengthen your will, and help you to abide by these words. Allah, Alone, is the One Who grants success, and helps in all good, and there is neither power, nor strength except with Allah, the Great, and the Sublime.

• One of the virtues of these words, is that they are the best beloved words to Allah,

it was related by Muslim in his Sahih (authentic) book of Hadith from the Hadith of Samurah ibn Jundab (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said: ((The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, �The most beloved words to Allah are four, it does not matter with which you start (i.e., saying) Subhan Allah, Al-Hamdulillah, la Ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar�)) (1). It was also related by Abu-Dawud Al-Tayalisy in his Musnad (Hadith compilation) wording: ((Four are the best of words, and they are in the Qur�an (i.e., are mentioned in the Qur�an), it doesn�t matter with which you start: Subhan Allah, Al-Hamdulillah, La ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar)) (2).

• Of their virtues also, the Prophet (may peace and blessings be upon him) mentioned that they are more beloved to him than anything upon which the sun rises � i.e., more beloved than the worldly life and whatever exists therein, for the Hadith related by Muslim in his Sahih on the authority of Abu-Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him that he said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: (To say: Subhan Allah, and Al-Hamdulillah, and La Ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar is more beloved to me that anything upon which the sun rises))

• Among their virtues as well, What is authentically reported in �Musnad Al-Imam Ahmad� and in �Shu`ab Al-Iman� by Al-Bayhaqy with a Hasan Isnad (a Hadith whose chain of narration contains a narrator with weak exactitude, but is free from eccentricity or blemish) on the authority of `Asim ibn Bahdalah from Abu Salih on the authority of Umm Hani� bint Abu-Talib that she said: The Messenger of Allah passed by me, so I said: I got older and weaker, or as she said, so command me of an act which I shall perform while sitting. He said: ((Make Tasbih a hundred times, for it is tantamount to freeing a hundred slave among the sons of Isma`il, and make Tahmid a hundred times, for it is worth a hundred saddled and bridled horses upon which you carry (i.e., equipments and people) in the cause of Allah, and make Takbir a hundred times, for its equivalent to a hundred adorned accepted camels (i.e., given in charity for the sake of Allah), and make Tahlil a hundred times. Ibn Khalaf (the one who narrates on the authority of `Asim) I think he said: It fills in between the heaven and earth, and no one can do better than that except one who does the same as you do)) (2). Al-Mundhiry said: ((Ahmad related it with a Hasan Isnad) (3). The knowledgeable Imam Al-Albany (may Allah be merciful with him) also classed it as Hasan (4).
You should ponder the great reward resulting from saying these words, for whoever make Tasbih a hundred times, this is tantamount to freeing a hundred slaves among the sons of Isma`il, and he specifically mentioned the sons of Isma`il for they are the noblest lineage amongst Arabs, also whoever makes Tahmid a hundred times, its reward will be equivalent to the reward of giving a hundred saddled bridled horses to carry those who are striving in the cause of Allah. Moreover, if a person makes Takbir a hundred times, i.e. pronounces Takbir a hundred times, the reward of doing this will be equal to the reward of spending a hundred adorned accepted camel in the cause of Allah. Additionally, whoever makes Tahlil a hundred times, i.e, say La Ilaha Illa Allah a hundred times, it fills in between the heaven and earth and no one can do better than that except one who does the same.

• One of the virtues of these words as well, is that they expiate for the sins, it has been authentically reported in the Musnad and Sunan (Hadith compilations classified by jurisprudential themes) of Al-Tirmidhy, in addition to the book �Mustadrak Al-Hakim� from the Hadith of Abdullah ibn`Amru ibn Al-`Aas (may Allah be pleased with both of them) that he said: The Messenger of Allah (May peace and blessings be upon him) said: ((If anyone on earth resorted to saying: La ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar, and Subhan Allah, and Al-Hamdullilah, and La Hawla wala Quwwata illa Billah (there is neither might nor strength except with Allah), their sins would be expiated for them, even if they exceeded the foam of the sea)), this Hadith was classed as Hasan by Al-Tirmidhy and Al-Albany, also,  Al-Hakim deemed it as Sahih and Al-Dhahaby approved that.

The expiated sins herein are the minor ones, for it has also been authentically reported in the Sahih book of Muslim on the authority of Abu-Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allah (May peace and blessings be upon him) used to say: ((The five Salah (prayers), and from one Friday to the next, and from Ramadan to the next are expiators for the sins in between them if the major sins are avoided)) (2). Therefore, expiation has been restricted to the avoidance of major sins, since the major sin is only expiated by offering Tawbah (repentance).This meaning was emphasized in the Hadith related by Al-Tirmidhy and others on the authority of Anas ibn Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) passed by a tree with dry leaves, then he hit it with his stick, so the leaves fell out, upon that, the Messenger of Allah (May peace and blessings be upon him) said: (( Verily, (saying) Al-Hamdullilah, and Subhan Allah, and La ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar makes the slave's sins fall just as the leaves of this tree fall)). It was classed as Hasan by Al-Albany (3).

•  Of the virtues of these words: that they are the seedlings of Jannah (paradise), Al-Tirmidhy related in his book of Sunan on the authority of Abdullah ibn Mas`ud (may Allah be pleased with him) who said that the Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) said: ((I met Ibrahim (Abraham) on my night journey, so he told me: O Mohammad! Send my greetings to your nation, and tell them that Jannah has a pure soil, sweet water, and that it is Qi`an (vast and plain), its seedlings are Subhan Allah, and Al-Hamdulillah, and La Ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar)) (4).This Hadith includes Abdul-Rahman ibn Is-haq in its isnad (i.e., he is not a trustworthy narrator), however it is supported by two other Hadith; one narrated on the authority of  Abu Ayyub Al-Ansary, and the other narrated on the authority of `Abdullah ibn `Umar. The word �Qi`an� is the plural of the word �Qa`�, which is the vast plain place in a low place of the earth and surmounted by rains from the sky which supports it, making the plant grow and stand straight. This is what was written in �Al-Nihayah� by Ibn Al-Athir (1), and it means that the seedlings of Jannah tend to grow fast with these words as the seedlings of the plain vast land grow.

•    Among the virtues of these words: That none is better before Allah than a Mu�min who lives a long life in Islam making a lot of Takbir, Tasbih, Tahlil, and Tahmid. It was related by Imam Ahmad and Al-Nasa`y in �`Amal Al-Yawm wal Laylah� with a Hassan Isnad on the authority of `Abdullah ibn Shaddad: That three men from (the tribe of) Banu `Udhrah came to the Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) and embraced Islam, he said: The Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) said: ((Who shall host them??)). Talhah said: I shall: so they went to Talhah�s house, then the Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) sent a group (i.e., in a battle) so one of them went therewith, and he was martyred. He said: Then he sent another group along which another one went, then he was also martyred, He said: then the third one died in his bed.Talhah said: I saw these three whom I was hosting in Jannah (i.e., in a dream), and I saw the one who died in his bed was a head of them, then the second one who died as a martyr, then I saw the first of them who died as a martyr was the last amongst them. So I was confused about that, he said: I came to the Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) and told him about that, he said: The Messenger of Allah (May peace and blessings be upon him) said: ((why did you object about this?!! None is better before Allah than a Mu�min (believer) who lives a long life in Islam making a lot of Takbir, and Tasbih, and Tahlil, and Tahmid)) (2).This glorious Hadith indicated the great virtue of the one who lives a long life in good deeds, and their tongue continues to be moist with remembrance of Allah (may He be Glorified and Exalted)

•    Among their virtues: That Allah has specially chosen these words for His Slaves, and set a great reward for offering remembrance of Allah with them, it was related in �Musnad Ahmad�, and �Mustadrak Al-Hakim� with a Sahih Isnad from the Hadith of Abu-Hurayrah and Abu-Sa`id (may Allah be pleased with both of them): that the Messenger of Allah (May peace and blessings be upon him) said: ((Verily, Allah has chosen four words from all speech: Subhan Allah, and Al-Hamdulillah, and la Ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar, therefore, whoever says: Subhan Allah, twenty good deeds will be recorded for them, and twenty sins will be dropped from them, and whoever says: Allahu Akbar will get the same, and whoever says: La ilaha Illah Allah, will get the same, and whoever says: Al-Hamdulillah Rab Al-`Alamin (the Lord of all worlds) spontaneously, thirty good deeds will be recorded for them, and thirty sins will be dropped from them)) (1).

The reward of Al-Hamd (praising Allah) when pronounced spontaneously by a slave exceeds the other four, for Al-Hamd usually does not take place except for a cause like after eating, drinking, or the occurrence of a certain blessings, as if it happens in response of what is given to them at the time of offering Hamd, but if a servant spontaneously performs Hamd without the recurrence of a certain bless in return, their reward will surely increase.

•   Another virtue is that they protect the one who says them from hellfire, and on the Day of Resurrection, they act as saviors and the foreparts to them, Al-Hakim in �Al-Mustadrak�, and Al-Nasa�y in �`Amal Al-yawm wa Al-Laylah� and others related on the authority of Abu-Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said: The Messenger of Allah (May peace and blessings be upon him) said ((Take the means of your protection)) we replied: O' Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) from an arriving enemy! He said: ((No, rather your protection from hellfire, say: Subhan Allah, and Al-Hamdulillah, and La Ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar, for they come on the Day of Resurrection acting as savior and foreparts, and they are the righteous lasting deeds)). Al-Hakim said: ((This is a Hadith Sahih (authentic) on the condition of Muslim, and they did not relate it)). Also Al-Dhahaby approved it and Al-Albany (may Allah be pleased with him) classed it as Sahih (2).This Hadith has also included an addition to the aforementioned a description of these words that they are the �righteous lasting deeds�. Allah (may He be Exalted) has said: (Wealth and children are the adornment of the life of this world. But the good righteous deeds, that last, are better with your Lord for rewards and better in respect of hope) (3) �That last� means that its reward lasts, and continues, and this is a good thing that a slave hopes and is the best reward.

•    One of their virtues, is that they bend around the Throne of Al-Rahman (The Compassionate) buzzing like bees, reminding of their owner, it is related in Musnad Al-Imam Ahmad, and the book of Sunan of Ibn Majah, as well as Mustadrak Al-Hakim on the authority of Al-Nu`man ibn Bashir (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said: The Messenger of Allah (May peace and blessings be upon him) said: ((Verily, among what (i.e., the words) you say in exalting Allah is Tasbih, Takbir, Tahlil, and Tahmid, they keep bending around the throne making a buzz like bees, reminding of its owner, would any of you not like to have something or continues to have something that reminds of them)). Al-Busairy mentioned in the addition of Sunan Ibn Majah: its Isnad is Sahih, and its men (i.e., narrators) are trustworthy, and it was classed as Sahih by Ibn Al-Hakim (1).

Therefore, this Hadith added this great virtue, that these four words bend around the throne i.e., incline around it buzzing likes bees which means making a sound that is similar to that of the bee, reminding of their sayer, and this surely includes a great encouragement to make Dhikr (remembrance of Allah) using these words, that is why he mentioned in the Hadith, would one of you not like to have something or continues to have something that reminds of them)).

•       among their virtues as well: that the Prophet (peace be upon him) mentioned that they are heavy in the balance, Al-Nasa`y in (`Amal Al-Yawm wal-Laylah), Ibn Hibban in his Sahih, Al-Hakim, and others related on the authority of Abu-Salamah (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) saying: ((Bakhin! Bakh! (i.e, What a great thing) and he beckoned with his hands five times � How heavy in the balance are they: Subhan Allah, and Al-Hamdulillah, and La ilaha illa Allah, and Allahu akbar, and a righteous child who dies, and a Muslim person (i.e, their parent) seeks the reward of this from Allah)). It was classed as Sahih by Al-Hakim, and Al-Dhahaby approved this (2). This Hadith is also supported by another Hadith narrated by Thawban (may Allah be pleased with him) that was related by Al-Barraz in his Musnad mentioning that its Isnad is Hassan (3). His saying (peace and blessings be upon him) ((Bakhin Bakh)) is a word of admiration that is mentioned upon admiring a certain thing and clarifying its merit.

•        Of the virtues of these words also: that when a slave says each one of them, it is considered as a Sadaqah (voluntary charity for them) for them, it was related by Muslim in his Sahih on the authority of Abu-Dhar (may Allah be pleased with him) that: some of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah (May peace and blessings be upon him) said to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him): O' Messenger of Allah! The rich have taken away all the reward, they pray as we pray, they fast as we fast, and give in charity from their excessive wealth. So he (peace and blessings be upon him) said, �Has not Allah given you things with which you can give as a Sadaqah (voluntary charity)? Every Tasbih is a Sadaqah. Every Takbir is a Sadaqah. Every Tahmid is a Sadaqah. Every Tahlil is a Sadaqah. Enjoining good is a Sadaqah. Forbidding evil is a Sadaqah. Having intercourse (with one�s wife) is a Sadaqah.� They said, �O' Messenger of Allah, if one of us fulfils their desire, is there reward for that?� He said, �Do you not see that if they do this in a Haram (prohibited) way, will they sin for this? Likewise, if they do it in a Halal (lawful) way, they will have a reward for that.� (1).The poor thought that Sadaqah is only given in terms of money, and they were incapable of doing so, thus the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) told them that all kinds of righteous acts, and good turn is a Sadaqah. He mentioned these four words: Subhan Allah, Al-Hamdulillah, La Ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar ahead of all these acts.

•         Of the virtues of these words: that the Prophet (May peace and blessings be upon him) made their reward equal to that of the Noble Qur�an for the one who have no ability to memorize anything of it, It was related by Abu-Dawud, Al-Nasa�y, Al-Daraqutny, and others on the authority of Abu Awafa (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said: A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and said: O' Messenger of Allah! I can�t memorize the Qur�an, so teach me something that would suffice me (i.e., for memorizing it), he said: Subhan Allah, and Al-Hamdulillah, and La Ilaha Illa Allah, and Allahu Akbar, and La Hawla wala Quwwata Illa Billah)). The nomad said: like that, and he clasped his hand � then he said: this is for Allah, what is for me?? He answered: say: (( O Allah! Forgive me, and have Mercy upon me, and grant me safety and soundness, and sustain me, and guide me)) so the nomad took it and clasped his hand, so the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him): ((As for that one, he has filled his hands with good)). (2)These are some virtues that are mentioned in the Sunnah (whatever is reported from the Prophet) of the Prophet with respect to these four words, and whoever ponders these aforementioned virtues, will find how great they are, and will see an indication to their high rank, benefits, and returns on the believer. Perhaps the secret behind this great grace- and Allah knows best- is what some scholars mentioned that the Names of Allah (may He be Blessed and Exalted) are included in these four words, as Subhan Allah is included in the Names of Glorification such as Al-Quddus (The Most Holy), Al-Salam (The All-Peaceful, the Bestower of Peace), and Al-Hamdulillah embraces proving all types of perfection to Allah (may He be Blessed) in His Names and Attributes. Moreover, Allah Akbar includes aggrandizing and exalting Allah, and that none can praise Him enough, and whoever had these attributes, then there is no Deity but Him, i.e., None has the right to be worshipped but Him (2).

Tasbih involves glorifying Allah over that which does not befit Him, and Tahmid is proving all types of perfection to Allah in His Names, Attributes, and Acts. Moreover, Tahlil: is showing devotion, Tawhid (belief in the Oneness of Allah/ monotheism), and absolving one�s self from Shirk (associating others with Allah in His Divinity or worship). Further, Takbir involves admitting Allah�s Grandeur and that nothing is greater than Him. By Allah, nothing is greater or nobler than these words, and how great the good resulting from them is! Therefore,  we ask Allah to grant us success in abiding by them, and to render us of those whose tongues are moist with saying them, He is the Only One Who is able to do that, and may peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and all his Companions.

And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
wisdomseeker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wisdomseeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 2:36am
Assalamu alaikum,

Jazakallahu khair for sharing.

May Allah guide us to the right path surely He guides whom He wills.
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 6:27am

May Allah bless you more and more and bring you the wisdom you seek and me too.
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic