IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What do you like about Islam?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you like about Islam?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2010 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by irenemac irenemac wrote:

I don't know if "like" is the right word but I deeply respect and admire the focus and discipline and commitment of some within the Islamic faith. That it is more a way of life than a simple religion also appeals to me, since most religions are far more hypocritical in the way their faith is practiced.

And with that I've posted my first post! Greetings everyone :)

Thankyou Irene for those thoughts :)

Yes Islam is what we call a "deen"  in arabic. i.e. 'a way of life'. Not just a religion. In the Qur'an and Prophetic sayings (hadith) the word 'deen' is used quite a lot rather than 'religion'.

Infact that is why it is hard to separate Islam from a (or most) Muslim's life (for those who would like us to live a secular lifestyle). For example, we are practicing Islam in little little things... such as, drinking water whilst sitting, or taking a break b/w sips and not chugging it down. Or washing our hands before a meal is also 'Sunnah' i.e. emulating Prophet Muhammad. All such acts become reward-worthy in Islam. Like collecting bonus points. So when some Muslims in the West, such as Oklahoma are fighting the anti-shariah bill - what they are saying is that it effects our daily lives and we find it difficult to divorce ourselves from many islamic aspects. There are many important aspects of a person's life that are impacted by their religion one of them is things like death & Wills. An anti-shariah bill would make it difficult for Muslims to have things like their wills implemented, having islamic burials etc. Its not about 'stonings' or other things like that. Simply about letting us choose to have our religious rites acknowledged.

A belated welcome to the forums! Looking forward to your posts! See you around! :)

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2010 at 10:35am
That there isn't and never was any racism in Islam. Black or white skin doesn't matter to Muslims. I really admire that. And I really like the story of Bilal ibn Rabah al-Habashi.

Of course the Alhambra in Granada which I visited twice is an absolute masterpiece. Brilliant awe-inspiring architecture.

Edited by Matt Browne - 01 December 2010 at 10:38am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
JesusGal View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JesusGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 10:00pm
Salam Aialikum.
(I don't think I spelled that correctly)

What do I like about Islam?

I like the way everybody is greeted as a Brother or Sister.

More than anything, I love my Muslim family that I live with.
A year ago God blessed me by moving a single mother and her two beautiful daughters into the basement apartment where I rent the top floor. The doors are now wide open and we eat and prepare every meal together. I have been to the Masjid and have my own hijabs for those days. Sometimes they do their prayers and I sit and read my Bible until they are done so we can make Dua (?spelling) together.

It is nice to see a forum where there can be respectful interfaith discussions.

Peace to you all.
Terri
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by JesusGal JesusGal wrote:

Salam Aialikum.
(I don't think I spelled that correctly)

What do I like about Islam?

I like the way everybody is greeted as a Brother or Sister.

More than anything, I love my Muslim family that I live with.
A year ago God blessed me by moving a single mother and her two beautiful daughters into the basement apartment where I rent the top floor. The doors are now wide open and we eat and prepare every meal together. I have been to the Masjid and have my own hijabs for those days. Sometimes they do their prayers and I sit and read my Bible until they are done so we can make Dua (?spelling) together.

It is nice to see a forum where there can be respectful interfaith discussions.

Peace to you all.
Terri

Wa'alaikum Salaam JesusGal,

Wow it felt so nice to read your post! It sure is a blessing to have good neighbors. And its beautiful how you both get along so well! MashAllah! :).

In Islam our neighbors have a lot of rights on us. During Prophet Muhammad's time, his companions once said that the Prophet talked so much of neighborly rights that we thought he would even grant them a share in our inheritance. Thats how important it is to be nice to  them!  So its nice to hear that neighbors of two different religions can get along so well.  May Allah bless us all with good, kind neighbors!

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
JesusGal View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JesusGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2011 at 9:33am
Thank-you, Chrysalis.
:-)

We have since moved into a full rented townhouse together.
It's nice as we are no longer just neighbors, but house mates and a family.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic