IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Humanity's purpose  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Humanity's purpose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by jusaskin jusaskin wrote:

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

We are taught how to read the Quran by a Qari, but we actually were never taught the Arabic language. We were taught what a verse or ayah means in our own language.

This will be off the subject a bit, but I'd like to follow up on this if I may. Your native language is not Arabic, but you learn from a translator how to identify, and I assume pronounce, the Arabic words of the Quran, the meaning of each being interpreted into your own language? I get the picture of someone speaking in one language (Arabic), but understanding in another (your native language). Is this method commanded in the Quran?

If I'm understanding the process, it recalls my youthful days as an American Catholic. We would participate in a religious service called "mass" which was spoken in Latin. We would be taught what the "sounds" meant but never learned the Latin language itself, only the certain words that were spoken at mass. Even though we said the Latin words, we would understand what was being said through our understanding of the English transation of those words. Is that about what you are doing with the Quran?

Hi Joe,
no, this method is not commanded in the Quran. Thsi method has been in practice simply for those who don't have the capacity to learn Arabic for any reasons whatsoever yet want to read and be able to recite (do Qir a') in the original language as the recital of the Quran in Arabic is very beautiful and soothing to the ear. But every practicing Muslim do memorise several suras and learn their meanings so they can recite them during daily five Salath.
I must add that in order to be closer to the word of God, the Quran, one must try to learn its language, that will be better.
I grew up in a less religious envirnment thus was not encouraged to learn Arabic, now my effort is that my children have a chance to learn  the language of the Quran.
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 09 December 2008 at 3:47pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

in order to be closer to the word of God, the Quran, one must try to learn its language

Yes, I can understand how you believe that! Thank you for the explanation.

joe
jusaskin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jusaskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 9:47pm
It seems that this topic has been exhausted, and I'd like to thank those who participated. I have learned a few things. I will not be monitoring this topic in the future. Thanks again!
joe
apel View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2008 at 2:23am
Originally posted by jusaskin jusaskin wrote:

It seems that this topic has been exhausted, and I'd like to thank those who participated. I have learned a few things. I will not be monitoring this topic in the future. Thanks again!

I would like to thank you too for this topic. I learned few things too. Being a human is like a journey that you must go through it.

I would like to share that I was seeking for something that I need, for months. Last month, I gave up looking for and I decided to buy but It was again difficult to find it and indeed it is expensive. I could not find any shop but finally I could find somebody agreed to give his component to me with an expensive price. I bought it. And, two days ago I found the component my original component in a very simple place at home. Perhaps every day I was looking there but I could have not seen it. I think the reason for that I was not looking there to find the component because I was not thinking that I could find it there, in a very simple place of the room.

I think sometimes it is better to think simply/basically and sometimes it is better to realise/to see rather than to understand deeply.

Al-Imran (The Family of Imran)

3:7 He it is who has bestowed upon thee from on high this divine writ, containing messages that are clear in and by themselves - and these are the essence of the divine writ - as well as others that are allegorical. [5] Now those whose hearts are given to swerving from the truth go after that part of the divine writ [6] which has been expressed in allegory, seeking out [what is bound to create] confusion, [7] and seeking [to arrive at] its final meaning [in an arbitrary manner]; but none save God knows its final meaning. [8] Hence, those who are deeply rooted in knowledge say: "We believe in it; the whole [of the divine writ] is from our Sustainer - albeit none takes this to heart save those who are endowed with insight.

Apel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic