IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wall hangings in the home  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall hangings in the home

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ummi22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall hangings in the home
    Posted: 22 August 2008 at 10:50pm
ASalaamu alaikum

I am wondering what is the general concensus about hanging things on the wall. Firstly, Quranic ayats and names of Allah and secondly tapestries w/ kabah or masjids on it.  I have some friends that have advised me that it is a bidah and I need to remove my 99 names of Allah and Quran hangings.  I understand that seeking protection from these wall hangings is wrong. I just have them because I love Quran and I love the reminder and I don't want bare walls. I removed all photos years ago when I found out about the malaikas and I will remove the Quran if I'm in the wrong. I just need some advice.
Abu Ibrahim View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Ibrahim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2008 at 10:31pm
Wa Alaikumus Salaam

As with most Islamic rulings that are not specifically addressed in the Quran or Sunnah, you can usually find multiple opinions.

I generally try to get all opinions and go with the one I think has the most proof or evidence. Therefore, I use to sites that I know generally operate from different ends of the spectrum.

For the most strict view, I usually go to islamqa.com. I researched your question there, and as I expected, the sheikh said hanging the Quran on your wall is forbidden. Here are his reasons:

1. It is bidah and wasn't practiced by the Prophet of Allah (pbuh)
2. Sometimes these pictures are made with expensive material and involves wasting money.
3. It may lead to disrespect of the Quran.

For the other end, I usually go to islam-online.net. They usually give a more liberal interpretation of Islamic law. The sheikh there said it is permissible to hang verses of the Quran on your wall. His reasons are:

1. Scholars over the centuries have approved this time and time again.
2. These hangings may act as spiritual reminders.
3. Calligraphy is an Islamic art and these hangings are certainly better than what most people hang in their homes.

I tried to be as fair to both sides as I could. I encourage you to do more research and view all of the evidence provided. However, I will not give my opinion as it really doesn't mean much.

And Allah knows best.
Ummi22 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ummi22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2008 at 8:43am
Asalaamu alaikum-

JazakAllah Khair for the information.  I guess this, and many other issues, are left up to the individual to decide.  I keep finding myself leaning towards the more strict interpretaions and then falling short. May Allah keep us all on the straight path. Ameen

Asalaamu alaikum

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic