IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - More of a question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More of a question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More of a question
    Posted: 01 July 2005 at 12:40am

Assalamu Alaikum,

eXis, I am a new revert.  I have been in Islam for about two months now.  Alhamdulillah.  At the time I reverted, I didn't know much about Islam but I was positive that Allah (swt) wanted me to return to my true faith.  When I accepted Islam, I simply felt that I had finally come home.  Since then, I have read the entire Qur'an once and have read much of the hadith.  Every time I come upon an issue that is difficult for me to understand or grasp, I stop and ask Allah (swt) to guide me, and every time, He leads me to the information I need in order to continue on my path in Islam. 

I, too, have depended on the internet for support and guidance from time to time and for the most part it has been a most wonderful learning experience.  In doing research on the internet, I came across a book titled Islam in Focus by Hammudah Abdalti.  I was able to download the entire book as a pdf file so that I could read it in its entirety.  It has really been helpful in giving me a firm grasp of the over-all structure of the life of a person in Islam. 

As others have already pointed out, it is not necessary for a new muslim to be able to do everything that is required of them from the moment they accept Islam.  I study several hours everyday and I can honestly say that the more I study, the more I know that Islam is the right path for me to be on even though there are things I have yet to learn or do.  I know that what is most important for me is to embrace Islam with a true heart (to honestly believe and have faith) and to continue studying so that I continue to grow in Islam.  I know that if those two things are in place, Allah (swt) will bless me and guide me for He is Most Gracious and Most Merciful to those who seek His guidance.

Here is a web site that you may find interesting:  http://www.harunyahya.com/index.php

Allahu Akbar

Wa Alaikum Assalam

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 9:06am
another thing..... you may not know everything that is haram at first but
do what you can to find otu what is haram. I made mistakes because I
didn't know certain things were haram but when I learned they were I
asked forgiveness and tried not to do them again. Remember Allah (swt)
is Most Compassionate and He understands you don't have all the
knowledge now.

Peace,
J.R.
Smile
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 9:04am
Assalamu Alaikum,

I am a sister revert. It was also difficult for me to remember the Arabic
in my daily prayers. What I did was write the transliteration down on a
piece of paper and kept it with me when I prayed. If I had to, I'd keep my
eyes down always but look at the paper if I forgot what the next words
were in Arabic. If you keep doing this, before you know it you'll be doing
salaat without the help of the paper. Just remember that at times you
may feel overwhelmed and feel there is too much to learn, but do it at a
pace that is comfortable for you and Allah (swt) will guide you. Just don't
give up and put your trust in Him. All Muslims, whether reverts or those
born into Muslim families, are learning new things everyday and we all
want to do better in our prayers, daily lives, etc. so we are all in it
together. May Allah (swt) guide you and bless you.

Peace,
J.R.
Smile
aservant View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aservant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 7:56am

dear brother eXis

all the brothers have given you good suggestions but i think that still we are missing one thing.  the most important thing is the belief.  and without any dought Islam is based on the most pure and most true belief.  it does not matter if you dont have much information about all the rituals of islam for sometime in the start of your islamic life.  your intention to learn them is all that is needed.  the most important thing is to die on the correct belief.  and we dont know that when anyone of us is going to die. so my suggestion is that please dont spend much time befor proclaiming islam.  once someone accepts it and proclaimes it and he/she dies then he/she is successful even if he/she did not get the oppertunity to perform any ritual.

as for as getting information through the internet is concerned, one brother gave you very important suggestions that you shoud take only that piece of information which is referenced to some qualified scholar.

may Allah accept your intention to find the truth and help you in accepting the ultimate truth.

a brother

Ali Zaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2005 at 11:47am

Salam to all,

Br. AhmadJoyia makes another good point!

I agree. Some of the information referenced was to point you in the right direction (such as tahir and najis info). This is not to minimize the importance, however, the reasoning, logic and conceptual foundation of religion is more important.

I picked these particular subjects because you indicated in your original post that you were looking for info on the practical aspects of Islam. YOU SAID " there is a lot about understanding Islam as a theology, but not much about practiciing Islam as a young man."  However, in Islam (as in all other things), theory and practice " walk hand in hand", and practice without understanding or understanding without practice are useless.

Salam

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2005 at 11:20am

My dear Bro Exis

One thing that I would like to say is that though, Islam is a way of life in all our daily spheres of life, however, when it came to people through Prophet Mohammad, it came gradually but persistently. Quran itself was revealed over a period of around 23 years. Hence, no one should hurry in following the rituals, atleast in the begining, but more emphasis must be laid on its understanding of the concepts, that too, understanding with wisdom and logic only. May I wish you best of luck in your endeavor to find the ultimate truth. Amen.

Ali Zaki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 7:03am

.... One more thing,

If you have questions on issues of Shariah (or Fiqh, Islamic Law), you should either reference the website of an Islamic scholar, or, ask for references from a scholar if your question is answered by a non-scholar.

If you have questions on the meaning of Quran (Tafseer), again, this needs to be answered by a scholar or scholarly reference, however, if it is a verse of obvious meaning (which you probably won't have a question about), then this is not as important.

If you have specific questions, I will try to find you the answer (inshahAllah).

Salam (again)

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 1:55am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

some sites you may find interesting.

http://www.sunnipath.com/

this is a Question and answer site and prety much covers all areas of islam, it is run by many respected Ulama (scholars) they also feature works of other scholars around the world. they answer questions according the Hanafi and Shafii schools of thought which are 2 of the 4 traditional Law schools accepted by the Ummah (muslim community). It deals with how to practice islam and the laws formulated by our scholars based upon the Quran and Sunnah, Click on Fiqh Q&A at the top.

Glossary of Islamic Terms and Concepts

http://www.zamzamacademy.com

The founder of this organisastion is the auther of a famous book called Fiqh al Imam, if you click on Audio you will find weekely lectures dealing with Salat(prayer), Aqidah Tahawiyah (muslimc beliefs or creed), Ta'lim al-Muta'alim, which is general advice to those wishing to study islam according to a work written on the subject.

http://www.deenport.com/
This site is an excelent place for links and information it has some good resources also.

http://www.muslimheritage.com/

Quote; Discover 1000 years of missing history and explore the fascinating Muslim contribution to present day Science, Technology, Arts and Civilisation.

Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic