IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Comment: Why all the large fonts?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comment: Why all the large fonts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comment: Why all the large fonts?
    Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:01pm

Sorry, I am very much a guest here, so maybe it's none of my business, but I just don't get it:

Quote 8. Use of upper case and bold/large (font) is not permissible for the whole of the message body. However, these may be used to add emphasis to words or phrases contained within your message.

Let me make it clear from the start -- moderating a discussion forum is a tough job, and I don't for a moment mean to criticize the moderators about this.  Nor would I raise the issue if it were just the occasional message that pops up in a large font.

But there are members, and we all know who they are, who as far as I can tell post messages exclusively in large font -- often in multiple colours too.  What's up with that??  Do they not know about Rule 8?  Do they have vision problems, or think that the rest of us do?  Do they think that large fonts make them look smarter?

In other forums that I've visited, cheap attention-getting tactics like posting in all caps or large "ransom-note" fonts are generally regarded as the online equivalent of shouting.  There's no rule against it, and no need for one: the members themselves make it clear in their responses that it's impolite, and the behaviour is seldom repeated.

This is the first place I been where the rules forbid such posts, and (ironically) also the first place where such posts are commonplace. WHY?

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 3:04am

All caps and bold in a post is considered shouting.

AS said emphasis of a statement is allowed.

It has also come to attention that some people have eye sight problems for which they will most probably post in large front, so because of that it gets over looked.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 12:47pm
GEE, what are you guys talking about?
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Azaleah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Azaleah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2008 at 7:04am

Yeah, what are you all talking about??

Leah
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2008 at 8:20pm

hehehe

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
icforumadmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2008 at 10:55pm
Salam/Peace,

Basically to make it nice, clean, tidy etc., so we can enjoy reading it. That's all. So, we think this is an easy requirement, so if you can not obey the easy one, don't hope you can obey the more difficult one... so be ready to be banned...he..he..he..Smile

Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic