IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Africa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Black Muslim Women in South Africa  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Muslim Women in South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amatullah247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Muslim Women in South Africa
    Posted: 28 January 2008 at 7:02pm

As-Salaamu alaikum,

Are there any black Muslim hijabi women on this listserv living and working in South Africa? I am a black Muslim hijabi sister who is considering moving from the US to South Africa. I am also an IT professional and a divorced mother with a young daughter.

Would I have to be worried about any of these things in South Africa: anti-black racism, hostility against women in hijab, disdain for being divorced, me and my daughter getting raped or robbed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jazakum-Allah khair.

MORIYAAZ View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MORIYAAZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 6:28am

Assalamu Alaikum, Respected Sister

South Africa is one of the most beautiful places ever created by Allah (SWT). Yes, we do have crime as is the case with most countries and the times we live in but if we put our trust in Allah (SWT) and his Rasool Muhammad Mustapha (SAW) no harm will ever come to you no matter where you find yourself. We should also be very careful of how the media portrais our country abroad.

Personally I am a European descendant Muslim man married to an Indian Muslimah, so staying in South Africa (having a racially hostile past) should be more of a problem to me than to you being an African person (I do not like the term 'black') in an African country. I've been staying in this country for 35 years by the grace of Allah (SWT) and have never experienced racial intollerance personally.

There are many African Muslim Sisters both locally as well as from countries like Somalia, Malawi, Nigeria etc. living in South Africa.

Also the Muslim community of South Africa is 'tight' we all accept each other as Allah (SWT) intended as Islam does not see race but Eemaan is what is important. You will find us all praying together in the same Masajied (Malaysian, Indian, African and European men.)

The predominant Mazhaabs (Schools of Thought) we follow is Hanafee and Shafee (in a lesser degree some adherents follow Hambali.)

I hope that above info will help you to make a decision. Always ask Allah (SWT) to help you choose/guide you and ask for a ayat (sign) from him.

Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatulahee wa Baraakatu.

Bro' Muhammad Riyaaz

sabrina View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabrina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 1:39am
As-salaam alaikum

here in sa islam is very strong. as a niqaabi id \ont have any worry INSHAA ALLAH it will always be like this.

i find it easy to practice ur religion here in sa compre to other places i have visited.
As-salaam
Taalibah View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taalibah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2013 at 1:38am
Assalaamo Alaikom Habeebatee

SO glad to meet you. It has been a year since you posted that question and I hope that you have your answer now, and that you have made a good decision.

Sister, my personal advice to you, being myself of African origin, yet not quite considered African or black here, but having grown up amongst the Muslims, would be: if you are going to come to South Africa then find out where the Salafi communities are and join them, as any other community you go to will be just completely saturated with racism, tribalism, nationalism, and many other isms. Mainstream Muslims (mostly Hannafi)do not make Muslims out of black people, but try to make Indians out of them. The more Indian you strive to be, the more accepted you will be amongst them.

The Shafi-ee Muslims (mostly coloured and of Malaysian descent) are just as racist as the Indians but of course, don't like Indians and also have their stereotypical reasons.

The best thing I ever did in my life was to learn about my deen away from all of these groups and join the Muslims who had a similar view. These people are of a vast range of races and backgrounds but we stick together through thick and thin, the men with the men and the women with the women. We love each other purely for the sake of Allah and we are all either Arabic speaking, or learning Arabic, the way Islam is MEANT to be practiced.

We have sisters who have undergone the worst kind of traumas and brothers with similar stories, but we come together for the pleasure of Allah and part for the pleasure of Allah, all the while learning about our Deen. No racial barriers and no exclusivity due to race or lineage. Alhamdulillah! Please post and let us know what you have decided. Maybe we could hook up in sha Allah. May Allah make your matter easy for you! Ma assalamah.

Taalibah
adeeliqbal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adeeliqbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:02am
You must stay strong and trust on Allah. He will help you definitely. Just follow the Sunnah and Quran. Allah will protect you. Wear Hijjab without any hesitation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic