IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Imam Hussain’s going against Yazid  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Imam Hussain’s going against Yazid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Zaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 6:58am

Salam alakum Softheart,

Briefly, The Shia argument for the Imam Ali (a.s.) being the rightful successor to the Prophet is based on the fact that the Prophet (a.s.) nominated (named) him as his successor EXPLICITLY (see Hmmmm topic in this forum, begining on page 5 for details). As a result, other selection criteria are not needed. Based on this same principle, Imam Ali (a.s.) nominate his successor in the same manner as the prophet, naming Imam Hassan (a.s.), etc.

Speaking for myself, I use the predicate (a.s.) (alayhim as-salam) because this is the tradition among the Shia when refering to the 12 Imams, although Imams are Imams and not Prophets. I have seen, however, this term of respect (i.e., a.s.) used (in Shia literature) even with highly respect persons who were not Prophets or Imams (such as the prominant companion of the Prophet (a.s.) Salman Al-Farsi).

"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic