IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alexander or Cyrus in the Quran?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander or Cyrus in the Quran?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander or Cyrus in the Quran?
    Posted: 17 October 2007 at 6:39pm
Hi everyone,

Salaam Alaikum. I have another question. There are sources that say that the ruler Dhul Qarnayn mentioned in the Quran who built the walls of God and Magog and was a righteous ruler was either Alexander the Great or Cyrus the Great.

Would you say this is true, or a false theory?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhul-Qarnayn
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_in_the_Qur'an

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_the_Great

Thanks.

Cristo Vive!
     - Tomasz
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2007 at 7:02pm
Bi ismillahi rahmani raheem

Hi,

Its a theory, no one can prove who it was either way. Personally i wouldnt say it was Alexander as there is nothing to indicate his was a moral person.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 3:09pm
I agree with brother rami.  The theories about Dhul-Qarnain's identity are just that: theories.  There is nothing in the Quran which indicates the actual identity.  Therefore, it is useless to speculate, as the answer will never be certain.  
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 8:28pm

Salaams, Tom

I agree with Rami and iip. ZalQarnain could not have been Cyrus or Alexander.

The message, of the verses 83-101 of Surah 18 Al-Kahaf, is:

This, in reality, is a message to those who hold power, for example the rulers, the judges and the kings that they must do the right. The verses tell us that this king was a powerful man, possibly a king and had all the resources in his time and he went into various lands of different people. He did not attack everyone and instead of making them fight a war with the two warring factions, the Yajooj and Majooj, he built a barrier for the safety of the people and he did it for the pleasure of the Lord Almighty. In an earlier verse, he even went into a land and just left the people alone without attacking them or interfering in their affairs. He did all good as he was blessed, which he acknowledges by saying, "Haaza rahmat-um-mir-rabbi", which simply means "I have been blessed by my Lord.", therefore, he did the best he can.

It is thus an exhortation to all rulers and judges. Unfortunately, on a lighter note, the modern-day rulers of Muslim countries have never understood this passage, even though they might have recited or heard it many times.

BMZ

Edited by BMZ
Shasta's Aunt: "Well, there's the difference you see. The Bible was written by man about God, The Quran was revealed to man by God."
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 10:40am

Assalamu Alaikum and hi everyone,

I see here good responses, Masha Allah, and would like to add something that may be relevant to the moral of the story.

Many issues of morality, in general, are known to almost every person whether or not he/she is a Muslim; for example, everyone knows, regardless of one�s religious affiliation, that stealing, cheating and treachery are immoral acts; despite having the knowledge, many people commit these crimes at all levels.

Well, everyone will be held accountable for his/her actions on the day of judgement as no soul shall bear the burden of another.

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

Edited by peacemaker
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 6:40pm

There are many contradictions, regarding this theory.

Dhu�l-Qarnayn who is mentioned in the Qur�aan is not Alexander the Macedonian or Greek who built Alexandria. This Alexander is the one who died at the age of 33, as mentioned in the Christian books. He lived 323 years before the birth of the Isa (peace be upon him).

Dhu�l-Qarnayn who is mentioned in the Qur�aan lived at the time of Ibraaheem (peace be upon him), and it is said that he became Muslim at the hands of Ibraaheem (peace be upon him), and he went on pilgrimage to the Ka�bah walking. The scholars differed concerning him, as to whether he was a Prophet or a righteous slave and just king, but they agree that he was a Muslim, a monotheist (believer in Tawheed) and one who was obedient to Allaah.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic