IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Radio, TV & Film
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My Opinion of "Paradise Now"  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Opinion of "Paradise Now"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Opinion of "Paradise Now"
    Posted: 27 March 2006 at 6:31pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

I watched the movie "Paradise Now" over the weekend and I would like to ask if anyone else on the forum has seen it.

Because of all of the controversy surrounding it, I didn't know what to expect, but I have to say I was surprised. The film was quite disturbing. There were no bloody scenes of bombings or anything of that nature. It just shows two days in the life of two Palestinians chosen for a suicide bombing mission. There are Palestinians who voice both sides of the issue, pro and con. The religious aspect is not focused on very much, it is more of a political statement.

The most devastating part of the film for me was the contrast between how the Palestinians live in virtual ruins in Nablus, and how the Jews live in Israel which is a typical modern country and quite beautiful. How can anyone look at this film without seeing the utter hopelessness that surrounds the very existence of the Palestinians. I think this was perhaps why the Israelis lobbied so hard against this film, not so much for what it says as for what you witness with your own eyes, and how it leaves you feeling.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 8:41pm

Bismillah,

No; it hasn't been available in our area that I know of.

Did you see the poverty report on Israeli Jews?  One in five are reported to live in poverty with food coming from soup kitchens, very little healthcare, no heat in winter, no air in summer.

My son said that they were reporting it in a way as if to blame the Phalasteeneeyeen saying that the money was being spent on the war effort instead of the poor.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 8:53pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

The per capita income in Israel is approximately $23,000 U.S.

The per capita income for Palestinians is approximately $1000 U.S.

Given that they live in the same area and probably pay the same prices, well, need I say more?

At least the Israelis have soup kitchens to go to. Since most of the Muslim charities have been closed, and Palestinians unable to get very little aid, they don't really even have that option.

P.S. The movie is on DVD now...

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 9:01pm
I watched it like month ago.

It was the first movie I watched about this conflict. I saw the trailer in the Canada and all I wanted was to see this movie. Back home I had to search for a cinema that actually showed it (but in the end I got it of the net).
It was different to see the Palestinian side of the story, because in the news it's usually the Israeli side in the centre of attention.

Thanks to "Paradise Now" I started thinking about the conflict and I allowed myself to look at it from the Palestinian point of view for a moment. Perhaps there is no right or wrong. It takes two after all and probably both sides made mistakes.

also I noticed that, ppl in pals were poor, driving 20 year old cars, with cab driver no $$$ to repair the window. They have almost no entertainment and lack basic facilities, on the other side of the fence Isrealis driving in new cars and clean roads. The diffrence is of few Km's, but its so huge.

Edited by ak_m_f
Pure View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 11:27am
It can be watched here:
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article12978.htm

I personally thought it was alright. Wasn't too happy about it overall, but it just gives a different perspective of it. That's all.

wassalaamu alaikum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic