IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Not only for Whisper  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not only for Whisper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
syed123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 8:15pm

Israfil has  raised a very valid point about the  psychology of victimization.

If the Japanese had regressed  and retreated into the victimization mode after their humiliating loss after the second world war including the hiroshima and nagasaki bombings they wouldnt have achieved even half of what they have done today.

After the Jews in Germany lost everything they had during the holocaust they did not shelter themselves under the umbrella of victimization.   Instead they worked hard and using their brawn and brains control a large portion of the world's wealth,power and prestige.

Muslims in the conflict areas like afghanistan or palestine are doing exactly the opposite . They are being misled by their leaders and clergy in adopting a path of  blind confrontation  with the West without using their gray matter(Brain) which allah has provided them.

Until this policy is reversed by muslims themselves the sufferings, death and destruction in  areas like palestine and afghanistan will continue.

Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 5:11pm

The matters of global injustice hold different dynamics and in such situations, the search for justice requires external struggles, backed by active support, not just some philosophical introspection.

I disagree....

Yaar�em, do you just disagree with me?

Or, do you disagree with the simple universal principle that in global injustice situations, justice is achieved through actual effective external struggles?

If just the internal worked then those millions of Indians shouldn�t have beaten the hell out of their masters, our good old Mohandas Karamchand Ghandhi should have squatted in his Ahmddabad prison cell, just on his own, and they would have got their Tricolour, without moving a finger.

Most disadvantaged cultures can be socialized into a pattern of thinking of feeling like a "victim."

Yes, I agree, but this applies only to disadvantaged cultures.

Where, when and how a culture comes to feel disadvantaged is unfortunately not the same for all peoples of our world. Our sense of our advantage and our disadvantages very much depend on our desire shopping lists and also on our psyches.

The African American was thousands of miles away from even the faintest memories of his homeland leave aside any possibility of ever getting back there. He had no rights. Thanks to the plantation owner�s greed that kept a roof over his head and some food in his stomach.

Pure survival forced him to accept his situation and, over the generations, he graduated into a disadvantaged culture.

The African American example doesn�t fit the Palestinian or some 14 years old Afghan lad with one leg blown off by some landmine. He is in his homeland. There is a very interesting Punjabi saying: apni dheri tay kutta wi sher hunda � even a common stray dog is like a Lion on his own patch.

This saying almost says it all.

I sometimes pity the NATO forces for not knowing Punjabi or, at least, some its very old and applicable idioms.

My friend, the Afghan or the Palestinian dog has been standing on his patch for a little over a few thousands of years. Plus, unlike our African American, he doesn�t feel like a victim. If someone has told you that these chaps are ready to kill and get killed out of some victim mentality then please do pass this chap my phone contacts, I will normalise his mental reset for free. And, it�s some Chapie, I will also throw in a candle lit dinner with it!

Just fables. Mere stories. About people we have never met seen or experienced and as if the whole world does, feels, reacts and behave just in our own image!

A 14 years old Afghan lad sat sipping qahwa a Qissa Khawani Bazaar tea stall, in Peshawar.

One of his legs was amputated after a little date with a landmine. I asked him what he was going to do next.

The blighter looked at me with a calm smile and answered my question with a question:

You are a Khan, don�t you know?

I confessed, I was sort of an Export Quality Khan and I didn�t really know what the Kandhaar lads get on to these days.

I know you are kidding, but I won�t argue with such a silver head� �when I can run again, I will run back to my mates and we will find the chap who sows the devil seed in my land�.

We both sat in silence sipping tea.

I watched him for a while. He had a strange deep resolve in his hazel brown eyes. He was a mere kid, a strange kid, with a strange regal look, of still dignity and that kind of strange power we can find playing on the face of some Flamenco singer, at the zenith of her performance.

I told him that right now he had only lost just a leg and what he now plans on doing could lose him his life. He placed his empty cup on the tray, lifted his metal crutch and came and stood opposite me, he offered his hand for me to shake. His break had finished and he had to go back to his bus cleaner boss.

He told me that he would win whether he lived or he died.

Yaar Israfil, this Masha Allah, Insha Allah, Allah o Akbar scenario is not a victim mentality based scenario. My friend, when a dog is fighting for his patch, he doesn�t feel victimised, he feels aggressed against. He fights for his land, he fights for his rights, he just fights for his freedom or whatever, but he fights with a spirit not just out of some pity for himself or his grandfathers� plight.

The African American model fails to fit here.

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Some commit crimes with the emphasis that "the man is holding me down"

I would think that substance abuse is the main reason for crime and not the "man".

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 8:58am

The matters of global injustice hold different dynamics and in such situations, the search for justice requires external struggles, backed by active support, not just some philosophical introspection.

I disagree....

Victimhood is not necessarily an individual thing. Most disadvantaged cultures can be socialized into a pattern of thinking of feeling like a "victim." I've pointed to the Palestinian for instance to prove my example but since some members are too sensitive in my examples I'll use blacks and women. Blacks have been a disadvantaged grouped for as long as our ancestors arrive. Our socialization started since the ancestors toiled in American lands. However, centuries old abuse and stigma's placed on us have caused us to become self-victims due to the unfair system created by America. Since, the system is unfair this has cause some members in the black community to not try. Some commit crimes with the emphasis that "the man is holding me down" quite funny since they are the ones freely not looking for work or committing jobs.

Similarly some women have been socialized into thinking they are second to men of course it is changing but there are women who behave as if they are victims as well when there are opportunities for women. I acknowledge that there are real injustices and although there are victims of such injustices how long are we going to remain victim? So far foreign Muslims have not shown me that they can arise out of their own trials. American blacks have done it and some continue to do it (mind you, we have been disadvantage since the 1600's so this is longer than any current Muslim strife) women are doing it and are doing well and better than before. So in reality there is no excuse.

Yes I acknowledge there are war zones and children dying and all that but this is no different than what I face everyday and trust me, I can tell you stories.\

Brother, we are here, discussing present atrocities, specially, in this thread. We are not holding some symposium on the Global History of Mankinds Tortures in various ages. The U S plays a handsome part in almost all the globe's tragedies of our here and now.

I agree that the U.S. is responsible for a lot of tragedies but there are other countries that have played into the suffering of others. The U.S. is not alone and no, its not just Britain. When soviets sell Kalashikov rifles to Arabs they contribute suffering so I would think there is a huge playing field of contributors it just so happens the U.S. is openly the antagonist.

Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2007 at 1:06am

Either way, if I didn't know better, I would swear that women were responsible for these last posts!

For a whole moment you had me thinking as if one of us, from the limited abilities gender, had actually posted something resembling like our women's (won't mention any names, the list is running too long) posts, even with just a fraction of their wisdom or some other finer touch.

Promise, I really did.

But you can easily see, from the only response to your post, that we fail to see wimins deeper endowments just beyond the fact that they don't brawl like us!

But thanks for your encouraging pat on the poor Homo Sapianos' backs

Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 6:34pm

Is this something too much to ask or expect?????

We can achieve anything in our lives, specially, in this electronic age, but justice refuses to hug us when we fail to take all her violaters to task.

My friend, even otherwise we need a balanced approach for solving any problem and, at times, we have to rise above our flags just for the sake of Justice.

Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 6:28pm

However, I don't know if any of you covered this, but, in order to have an effective dialogue with the emphasis of understanding the Muslim faith, religion, mind etc we must first battle what is internal. I have constantly said it repeatedly and unfortunately, not most of the Muslims online commented on which I call "psychology of victimhood."

Yaar'em, you have been with us for almost as long as I have been here. Have you once seen me waving any flags? Or, even, claim to be a Muslim at any point?

Brother, I am a secularist. I love my Cardhu with a cigar in the Mediterranean sunset. I was raised by a man who was a Founder Member of the Communist Party of Great Britain.

We both grew to rate Islam and its system as the best for mankind. I stand for nothing other than universal justice, the person's faith or orientation doesn't concern me, even for a mere breath.

The Psychology of Victimhood does apply well in personal matters and, if I am correct, this term gained currency since of those David Whatshisname? self-help books and tapes that most of my friends used to listen, on their way to their workplaces.

I have constantly said it myself that it is quite easy to blame the U.S.

Brother, we are here, discussing present atrocities, specially, in this thread. We are not holding some symposium on the Global History of Mankinds Tortures in various ages. The U S plays a handsome part in almost all the globe's tragedies of our here and now.

But, if you insist, I would start taking all the 172,000 Tuvalu Islanders to task for all the blood shed in our world in the past few years? Like, if you had ever noticed, I had done for a few weeks last year.

Justice requires us, just at times, to rise above our flag infatuations.

Edited by Whisper
syed123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2007 at 11:39am

Point by Israfil well taken.

Also to Cassandra, i think the trend is changing ,nowadays its the men who are mostly the milder,cooler  and less stubborn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic