IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Eastern Muslims Vs Western Muslims  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eastern Muslims Vs Western Muslims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eastern Muslims Vs Western Muslims
    Posted: 25 May 2005 at 9:17pm

There is the impression that Muslims from eastern countries have a certain perception of Muslims from the west. Of course, the cultural customs are different and the amount of rteligious impression has on the people. But from personal experience there is some sort of hypocrisy from Muslims who immigrate to America from Middle Eastern countries who criticize American politics and policies. I have to challenge those who criticize the American society and its government yet, partake in its system of taxpaying and jobs that America has provided. This is not  some poor attempt to create an apologetic tone for American society because America has its skeletons. but my point is to set the record straight.

Another impression I get from Muslims from eastern countries is that Islam rather a duty, is more of a habit. there are some Muslims who grow up in Islam not knowing Islam truly yet partake in its practices out of cultural habit rather than religious duty. I have seen when the words "Insha'allah" or "Alhamdulilah" are said to them their eyes lit up with wonder and the usual response that follows (at least from my experience) is, "what country are you from?" as if one recites Qur'an or greets in Arabic must be from some country other than America.

It is true that those from western countries who convert to Islam tend to practice Islam more consistently than those who grow up in it. The reason being is because if Islam is not as strong in the family it tends to dissimilate into being an habitual practice rather than a religious duty. On the other hand Western Muslims are no better because some Muslims who are westernzed and who, not understanding Islam to its fullest extrend tend to be overwhelmed by practices that seem too foreign from their own. thus we have seen the slow intergration of those from western countries who practice Islam and seem to be out of place due to not understanding Islam and its adherents.

I for one believe that these issues must be address not only in Jummah, but also to those who immigrate into American society who are unfamiliar with American culture. There are those Muslims however who have intergrated into a foreign society with ease and have not lost their sense of duty in Islam and have continually have practice Islam with consistence and with honor to those who fit in this category I salute you.

firewall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

there are some Muslims who grow up in Islam not knowing Islam truly yet partake in its practices out of cultural habit rather than religious duty. I have seen when the words "Insha'allah" or "Alhamdulilah" are said to them their eyes lit up with wonder and the usual response that follows (at least from my experience) is, "what country are you from?" as if one recites Qur'an or greets in Arabic must be from some country other than America.

Assalamu'alaikum Israfil... honestly, i don't know what you mean. yes, i guess when we see an American man saying "Insha Allah" or "Alhamdulilah", some are surprised. but that's just because we rarely ever meet such people. it's unexpected. i do admit, when i see a blonde man, i don't always assume he's muslim. he might be muslim, so when he said "insha Allah", i'd be surprised. but it's a good surprise. our surprise is not of being "what is insha Allah means???" but rather, "wow, this man is a muslim!"

that's all. & some eastern muslims might be offended when you say we practive Islam out of cultural habit. don't you think that's looking down on our faith? i hope you meant well, because as like all muslims, we practice Islam because of Allah.
unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 4:00am

Asalam Aalaikum

I do agree with Brother Israfil to an extent,muslims who live in the muslim communities of the West are aware of the teachings of Islam and are in touch with Islamic values and traditions.Being an Ex-resident of California ,L.A, I have seen with my own eyes how Islam is spreading there. When I use to travel in a car there, on almost every bench, I have seen written in bold letters:
"Islam is not just a religion, its more than a religion, its a complete way of life, Come to Islam come to truth"

On every Eid Namaz, atleast one non-muslim use to embrace Islam.

What actually attracts the westerners to Islam is the Islamic methodology. The way we perform our religious duties does have an attraction power for the non-muslims especially for Christians.

In West, especially in North America, more than 5000 people embrace Islam per annum and this ratio of growth increased after sep11th attack when Qur'an(the ultimate guidance from Allah)became the most selling book in North America.

It is true that the muslims of East especially those muslims who live in Muslim Countries have certain misconceptions about muslims living in the west.
It is not true that all the muslims living in the West are spoiled and away from the teachings of Islam, those muslims who live in the muslim communities of the West are very much close to the teachings of Islam and according to my understanding and knowledge they have much better understanding of Islam than those muslims living in Eastern Countries especially in Muslim Countries.

Most of the Muslim Scholars and orators (not all) in the West are doing a wonderful job for Islam and they are actively involved in "Dawa" activities and debate with several Christian, atheist and Hindu Scholars but on the contrary most of the Ulemas of the Muslim Countries donot encourage such debates and donot attempt to clarify certain issues properly in the light of Qur'an, Sunnah of the Prophet(pbuh) and Scientific reasoning.

Regards,

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
unity1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unity1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 4:42am

Additional information.

Their are certain aspects of the Western Countries that we should accept with an open and unbiased mind.
Not all the features of democratic system of Western Government are in harmony with the teachings of Islam but the certain features of their democratic system are not even in conflict with the teachings of Islam.

The citizens of the West have religious freedom as well as freedom of expression. They have created a platform for all the religious scholars and orators who are interested in debates and people from all faiths are allowed to attend those debates. These debates between scholars of different faith surely increases the knowledge of the people and improves their misconceptions if they have any.

Unfortunately, in most of the Muslim Countries we donot have such facilities for scholars of different faith and this is the reason why the concepts of muslims is not clear there.

Regards,

who call themselves superior are actually inferior in the eyes of Allah.Those who call themselves slaves of Allah are superior not only in the eyes of Allah but also superior in the eyes of man.
ummsalam View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsalam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 5:28am
asalamu alaikum.
I actually agree with Israfil, i found that people who practice here in the US (i'm not saying everyone here that is Muslim practices, but at the same time not everyone over seas practices) does it solely for the sake of Allah, or at least tries to.
I grew up in Mass, and mostly all of my friends are, alhamdullilah, practicing Muslims. I've also lived in Syria before (in 4th grade) and i go and visit there almost every other summer. Alot of the people i met there, really don't know why things happen in Islam. Like why some one would say inshaAllah. Not just a figure of speech. Alot of the girls there are  peer pressured into wearing hijab.
I mean its a good thing to have consistent habits if they are good. I mean theres nothing wrong with saying Alhamdullilah, instead of YEAHH!!!. because (im not sure how authentic this is, but i heard it recently) that a idol woshipper was praying to his idols and made a duaa to the idol, but accidently said one of Allah (swt) 99 names, and Allah (swt) accepted his duaa, and the Angels said to Allah (Swt): Why did you accept, he wasnt really asking you? and Allah (swt): he called to his lord using my name, so i responded to my creation. Basically, you can get from this that its good to use Islamic terms.
To be raised in the West you have a good chance of coming out really bad or really good. And ultimately its completely your choice and you get rewarded completely for it. But in the Middle East, for example, you are kinda forced into learning things, and you just grow up with it, but if you turn out good, then its good, but if you turn out bad, that was turning away with complete knowledge.
I mean with Islam in the west, to learn it, you need the extra effort for gaining knowledge and wisdom. Islam in the east is like knowledge and effort for wisdom.
I dont know if that made anysense
Please forgive me.
Jazakum Allahu khairan
asalamu alaikum
-umm salam

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 4:53pm

Firewall said:

Assalamu'alaikum Israfil... honestly, i don't know what you mean. yes, i guess when we see an American man saying "Insha Allah" or "Alhamdulilah", some are surprised. but that's just because we rarely ever meet such people. it's unexpected. i do admit, when i see a blonde man, i don't always assume he's muslim. he might be muslim, so when he said "insha Allah", i'd be surprised. but it's a good surprise. our surprise is not of being "what is insha Allah means???" but rather, "wow, this man is a muslim!"

that's all. & some eastern muslims might be offended when you say we practive Islam out of cultural habit. don't you think that's looking down on our faith? i hope you meant well, because as like all muslims, we practice Islam because of Allah.

Firewall said:

"that's all. & some eastern muslims might be offended when you say we practive Islam out of cultural habit. don't you think that's looking down on our faith? i hope you meant well, because as like all muslims, we practice Islam because of Allah."

First and foremost to comment on a culture does not reflect on Islam, because the culture I may refer to could be German, Irish etc to say that looks down on Islam would be an illogical statement I do not look down on anyone. I also do not worry about offending anyone because these are my experiences and I have not generalized anyone I repeatedly said these were my experiences. You have to understand certain cultures from Middle Eastern countries feel as if they own Islam by the way they behave and yes there are cultures who act not according to Islam by practicing Islam as a habit and not as a duty. I never implied "all" act this way I merely said some do. This is the impression that I get.

MOCKBA View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOCKBA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2005 at 9:27pm

Assalamu'alaikum,

Firewall and all,

You'd be surprised to find out how many Muslims are practicing Islaam out of a cultural habit (Folk Islaam) and how many are practicing it out of sincere conviction and fi sabili'llah.

Folk Islam, is unfortunately dominating in the so-called Muslim countries of the world. In the West, people seem to be embracing Islam because of sincere belief, strong conviction achieved through much reading, research and understanding. Which is different from the East, where many people are Muslims only because they were born to Muslim parents and with Muslim names... and taking it easy.  

This however should not make one better from the other only because of his geographical location or cultural background... people are distinguished by their piety. Whether you are an American, from Middle Eastern or from the largest by population Muslim country in the world - Indonesia... it is your piety that matters most. It is your awareness of the Qur'aan and Sunnah and its application in life and not adherence to your grandfather's customs and traditions. 

"All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly." From the Last Sermon of the Prophet Muhammad [Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him]

Edited by MOCKBA
MOCKBA
ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2005 at 11:48am

What actually attracts the westerners to Islam is the Islamic methodology. The way we perform our religious duties does have an attraction power for the non-muslims especially for Christians.

They (Western Muslims) are too few to deserve the attention they are getting. Its unrealistic for anyone to believe that entire West will revert to Islam just because they have  reverted to Islam.

An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic