IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam Question and Answer  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam Question and Answer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 10:07pm
Thanks for your continuing support of information.
I will continue my research with Islam and Christianity. I greatly appreciate everyone's help for my quest for the truth. From everything that I have read, there definitly are many parallels / similar truth between the two religions and nobody want's to be proven wrong. God is god and Jesus is Jesus the son of god. I am still struggling with if Jesus was just a prophet, how could his death cause a great earthquake that destroyed the great Jewish temple to be torn in two as it was pre-written? How could the Jews hate/kill just a prophet as he rose back on the 3rd day for all to see who he really was? Is there any other religion or belief showing the dead coming back to life? It is amazing that the year is 2007AD after Christ's death and their are many "new" findings / modern interpulations of the truth. Is it possible that both religions (Islam and Christianity) have the same truth and interpulation is the biggest problem?

Sorry to be confused, but I really am trying to understand and find salvation either in Islam or Christianity.

World Peace
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

As Salamu Alaikum

Jazakallahu Khairan Br Andalus for your explanation. Personally I will not listen to what non believers tell me about Muslim scholars.

You are correct sometimes we do jump to the wrong conclusions, and �One thing does not follow from the other.�

As far as scholars are concerned there is a lot of scholar bashing these days and we are judging scholars by what others tell us about them. It is the same with great scholars like Imam Abu Hanifa and Sayid Qutb, and others who are called��� Audho Billahe minash Shaitanir-Rajim! May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our ignorance. Ameen!

Assalam Aleikum Brother.

I agree that scholar bashing is not healthy, but the point is this: How do we determine who a scholar is?

As an example, Sayid Qutb is not a scholar, not in the definition of Ahl Assunah. Having a degree (in a topic far from theology)  and being able to speak and write Arabic does not make one qualified to write a tafsir.

If I want to learn engineering, I seek out the best school to learn it (not from someone I know who has studied it with a friend that they know), and a nation will prevent faulty knoweldge by requiring a a standradized professional lisence through examination. This allows employers and builders and those who dwel (work and live) in their designs to make "taqlid" and not worry that the engineer had faulty knowledge or made errors, etc, etc, because we have the system in place to grant us "confidence" in the positions of engineers. The schools have also been "certified". Would you trust an engineer who some friends told you was really knowledgeable, had a degree in journalism, and good grades in sophmore Algebra, to design and over see the contruction of a bridge you and your family would use? Of course not. Not even a fool would take such a person as a qualified engineer. So why do so many of require so much less in terms of our spiritual growth and Iman? The things we require the best for are the things we covet. How much more important is our Iman?

jazakallahu khair Br.   

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 1:34pm

Originally posted by peterpaul peterpaul wrote:

Thanks for your continuing support of information.
I will continue my research with Islam and Christianity. I greatly appreciate everyone's help for my quest for the truth. From everything that I have read, there definitly are many parallels / similar truth between the two religions and nobody want's to be proven wrong. God is god and Jesus is Jesus the son of god. I am still struggling with if Jesus was just a prophet, how could his death cause a great earthquake that destroyed the great Jewish temple to be torn in two as it was pre-written? How could the Jews hate/kill just a prophet as he rose back on the 3rd day for all to see who he really was? Is there any other religion or belief showing the dead coming back to life? It is amazing that the year is 2007AD after Christ's death and their are many "new" findings / modern interpulations of the truth. Is it possible that both religions (Islam and Christianity) have the same truth and interpulation is the biggest problem?

Sorry to be confused, but I really am trying to understand and find salvation either in Islam or Christianity.

World Peace

Hi Peterpaul

To Muslims Jesus (Isa (Alayhi Salam)) is not just a Prophet. He is a great Prophet. As sister lovesakeena already stated we believe in his miraculous birth, he cured the leper and the blind, brought the dead to life and his return before the Final Hour is established.

Unfortunately I don�t know much about the Christian faith and thus cannot make any comparisons. Maybe some of our members who were former Christian can help. You can check the Interfaith section too.

I will quote this Verse from the Glorious Qur'an:

�No son (or offspring) did Allah beget, nor is there any god along with Him. (If there had been) then each god would have taken away what he had created and some would have tried to overcome others! Glorified be Allah above all that they attribute to Him!� (Surah Al-Mu�minun 23: 91)

I would also advise you to read English translation the Chapter 19 of the Qur'an entitled �Maryam�

Cry unto your Lord to guide you, I pray you find Salvation.

Peace.

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Andalus Andalus wrote:

With all due respect Br, such a conclusion does not follow. Some "salafis" do not like the site, does not mean that the site is the "middle path". One thing does not follow from the other. The site promotes self appointed clerics who have dismissed methodologies that are at the foundations of Islam for centuries. From what I have seen, none of them (clerics) represent any of the established schools of fiqh. There are only four schools of fiqh. This is why I presented my input. I have had several conversation with non believers who quote deviated fatwas from the likes of bin baaz as if it is an accepted ruling in the general context of Islamic fiqh. Some one presented such men and views to them as if it was the "official" view, and I simply explained that some do follow them, but it is far from the accepted view. 

assalam aleikum 

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala reward you brother for bringing up a very good point. Ameen!

So how do we determine who is a scholar. What criteria do we use?

I see now it was an error on my part to name Sayid Qutb with the great Imam Abu Hanifa. In recent months I have seen many articles criticising Imam Abu Hanifa, Shaikh ibn Baz and Sayid Qutb, so these names are fresh in the memory. Even if Shaikh ibn Baz and Sayid Qutb are not regarded as scholars, I am still trying to find out why they are being bashed. Imam Abu Hanifa is one of the greatest scholars and he is being called by so many terrible names. Why?

You mentioned about Shaikh ibn Baz�s deviant Fatawas. I am familiar with some of this works which are available in English and I don�t find anything deviant about his Fatawas. He keeps quoting Imam Ahmad Hanbal. I ask myself; �Am I missing something?� Maybe he made some mistakes which I have not come across yet but then everyone makes mistakes. We are all human.

What we have today is a �Cold War� situation between the Ahlul-Sunnah and Salafi. And who are the victims? We the common masses! Allah bestowed only on a selected few; the ability to understand and comprehend His Message and we the masses look to them for answers. Who are they? How do we find them? Where do we find them? During my search for knowledge at every turn I found confusion and more confusion. I pray things were simple and straightforward, like your explanation about the engineer. But it�s not, is it?

Alhamdulillah! Today I am not confused any more, as I took the best from what anyone had to offer. You see I am not fussy where I get my information, as long as the information I get is correct.

So how do I know if the information is correct? I don�t know. The only yardstick I have is: if the scholar or �scholar� quotes any Ayat from the Glorious Qur'an or a Hadith from the Six authentic sources or a ruling of one the 4 Imams of Fiqh (Madhhabs) to support his statement, I accept it as correct.  Not the best way to go about things especially in matters relating to our Deen, but it was the only way that worked for me.

Maybe we should start and new thread and share with each other how each of us goes about seeking knowledge.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive us for our shortcomings and keep us on the straight path. Ameen!

Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Btw I am a sister.

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic