IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sister-in-law  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sister-in-law

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sister-in-law
    Posted: 16 July 2007 at 9:31pm

My husbands family is a joint family my in-laws, my husbands brother and sister(divorcee with 3 kids)stay together both are married.My  major problem is my sister-in-law , who does not do any housework , she is  now re-married and has gone out of the country with her second husband and has left her 3 kids her responsibility at our home. mY mother-in-law is involved with them and expects the daughter in laws to take care of them even though its her daughters responsibility.
  Even when she was at home she never took care of her kids, all know this .  But no one tells her anything. The kids have are becoming very ill-mannered as they do not listen to thier grand-parents since they have been pampered extensively since they know they dont have both parents to control them.

They have a belierf that only if i do housework im a pious and dutiful daughter-in-law ,  otherwise iam not worthy of their house.Even   though they can afford to keep a maid they want  only the daughter-in-laws to do housework regardless of the fact that i work and come home   and  may be tired sometimes, my work is not appreciated and mean things are said and done indirectly, which hurt.

My in-laws are to a certain extent financially dependent on my husband , we stay in a rental 2 bedroom flat with 9 members.The main   solution i could suggest was to stay seperate so that i dont have to be emotionally depressed all the time as i do not feel a part of the   family they always single me out no matter how much i try. They do not like me, to a certain extent i feel they are jealous of my parents   been financially stronger or may be im imagining things .

Please suggest how to solve this problem ,as these matters are strainig r relations.

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2007 at 6:10am

Aslaam Alaikum,

Welcome to the forum Nikky. I m sorry to  hear about your struggles.

What does your husband say? Have you talked to him about it? As a Moslem it is his responsibility to support you. You are his wife. Not a servant in the house.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
nikky View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 1:13am

Walaekum Assalaam ,

First of all i would like to thank you Hayfa for taking ur time and to read and answer my query.

I thank Allah for the supportive and loving husband he has given me , i understand that he has a reponsibility of his parents. I have spoken to him and although he understands my problems , he says he cannot tell his mother or sister directly to stop doing things they do or stop commenting etc, etc.

Since they uneducated he says they will taunt him by saying that "u favour ur wife and ur completely fallen for her fmaily , u dont care for us any more . etc, etc"... He says whenever he has tried to discuss something that has gone wrong , he was put into the mess as if he created it , he was also blamed for his sisters divorce as well , which all know was only his sisters fault.

i made him understand that i cannot live like this, u have to seperate from here , we can still provide for then financially but at least we can seperate and have peace.

MAy ALLAH give me strenghth, he is not ready to seperate and i dont know how to convince him.

lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 10:55am

As-salaam alaykum nikky

It was as if I had read what hayfa posted because believe me,i was going to ask you if you've discussed it with your husband before making further suggestions.

I've seen these things happen a lot especially from where I come.People can't differentiate sentiments from facts.Expectations are not the same as responsibilities/duties.Don't be confused about that!So firstly,I need to remind you that if you are certain you have done your part,then you need to take the bulls by the horn.If your husband truly loves you as you stated,then he should get you out of this mess.He's the one that has to talk to his family members.If he doesn't make them respect&treat you fairly,no one would.Obviously,they could be suffering from inferiority complex because of your background.It happens.And did you say you work?Islam teaches us good relation with our in-laws,but this has gone way out of line.You need to get out of that place.You don't have to live together to help them.I would still insist you have a very serious talk with your husband& make him see reasons you need to be distant from these people.Your husband obviously didn't draw the line.He seems to have a soft spot for his folks.Yeah!Some men're like that & it's usually difficult to make them see things your own way.Also,never hesitate to pray that Allah softens your in-laws'hearts towards you.Believe me,I've been ther & know what it's like.Perhaps,I'd share my ordeal with you later,& you'd see what I mean.Talk to your husband my sister.Appeal to him & let him realise you don't hate his family,but that their attitude towards you's unfair & it's straining your relationship with him.

May Allah give you peace of mind & tranquility.

Sorry,but have you any children together yet?

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
nikky View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 1:54am

asak,

all of u , first of all i wud like to apologise for not replying earlier, things have been going on reallt fast in my like , thank allah for his blessings , and for my patience and belief in him has paid of.

i spoke to my husband re my problem , he seems to have realised due to certain problems dat happend. and has agreed to seperate , we were busy looking fro a new house for us, before we did that we had to buy a new house for his parents as we were in renatl house together. so we bought for them , and thye will be shifting there soon , while we r looking a new house for ourselves only. im so happy and releived now. hew still has to tell his parents. he agreed its best this way . he initiated this talk. so it feels even more better, i wud like to thank all sisters for replying to me and lovesakeenah i wud luv to listen to ur story , im sure i may get inspiration from  it. thx again for ur advise. take care , ahz.

lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 2:20am

As-salaam alaykum nikky

Am so happy to hear things turned out well afterwards.Alliamdulillah for His mercies.Am sure there would be a lot of positive changes now&your husband would appreciate the time you spend together in the future,insha Allahu, because you'd have more privacy.I pray you find a New Home soon. Alliamdulillah!As for my story,i'd pm you,insha Allahu soon!

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 4:04am

Hey Nikky,

this is great news.

I pray it continues to go well for you.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
nikky View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 10:10pm

asak ,

thx for ur good wishes , i truly thank allah , for giving me strength for sabr , it surely is rewarding , all u sisters in problems , i wud just say , keep the faith and never forget to pray and seek guidance from allah , thanks all of for ur good wishes.my email id is [email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic