IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The True Flag of Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The True Flag of Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The True Flag of Islam
    Posted: 14 July 2007 at 9:18am

Many non-muslims and muslims are not aware that Islam at least currently does not have a representative flag. As was discussed before the "crescent" that you see on various depictions is not a representation of Islam and unfortunately, many trolls have used their limited knowledge to spam unfound assertions by correlating the crescent with some moon god deity. Let me remind those who have just joined the forum that there is no physical representation of Islam or our Creator (Allah). Allah has no physical likeness nor is Allah compared to anything he has established.

The Crescents found on various flags such as: Turkey, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Baluchistan, Bosnia, Dir, Egypt, Turkestan, Islamabad, Kalat, Malaysia and others do not represent Islam, but simply representing the countries that bear them. As far as the crescent moon and the star goes, they represent concentration, candidness and triumph, as well as sovereignty and divinity.

The symbol of moon in the Islam is derived from the Arabs and their geography. The "Fertile Crescent" includes modern day Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine and Egypt. The following is an interesting analysis on the flags of Muslim countries:

From an article at a website called "At The Edge" is an article on The Black Stone, by Bob Trubshaw and he makes references to the possible origins of the Crescent moon and stars on many Muslim flags.

"Returning to the geometric significance of the Ka'bah, Professor Hawkins has argued that it is exceedingly accurately aligned on two heavenly phenomena. These are the cycles of the moon and the rising of Canopus, the brightest star after Sirius. In a thirteenth-century Arabic manuscript by Mohammed ibn Abi Bakr Al Farisi it is stated that the alignment is set up for the setting crescent moon - an ancient symbol of the virgin-goddess which still appears in the national flags of many Islamic nations. In some flags - Algeria, Mauritania, Tunisia and Turkey - the crescent is accompanied by a star, perhaps representing Canopus."

T Funari, 12 May 1997

But if there were ever to be a true flag of Islam I would definitely nominate the Saudi Arabian Flag as the true flag of Islam.

Edited by Israfil
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2007 at 7:40pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

Take out the sword and i wouldn't object.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:51am

as far as i am aware the cresent only appeard in ottoman times and not beffore, shaykh hamzah yusuf suggests [if i remember correctly] the symbal was a gift from the greeks which was then addopted by the ottomans. allahu allam.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 8:46am

The Crescent actually appeared before the Ottomans, however there is Greek influence in the symbolism of the flags:

"The crescent moon and star symbol actually pre-dates Islam by several thousand years. Information on the origins of the symbol are difficult to ascertain, but most sources agree that these ancient celestial symbols were in use by the peoples of Central Asia and Siberia in their worship of sun, moon, and sky gods.

There are also reports that the crescent moon and star were used to represent the Carthaginian goddess Tanit or the Greek goddess Diana.

The city of Byzantium (later known as Constantinople and Istanbul) adopted the crescent moon as its symbol. According to some reports, they chose it in honor of the goddess Diana. Others indicate that it dates back to a battle in which the Romans defeated the Goths on the first day of a lunar month. In any event, the crescent moon was featured on the city's flag even before the birth of Christ.

The early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), Islamic armies and caravans flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. In later generations, the Muslim leaders continued to use a simple black, white, or green flag with no markings, writing, or symbolism on it.

It wasn't until the Ottoman Empire that the crescent moon and star became affiliated with the Muslim world. When the Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city's existing flag and symbol." (See Ref:http://islam.about.com/od/history/a/crescent_moon.htm)

Brother Rami, by the way here is the flag you were referring to without the sword, which, I may add I totally agree with you:

Edited by Israfil
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 8:48am

Here are flags of other Muslim countries just to give people an idea, please let me know if the picture does not show for you so I can put links down:

Turkmenistan

Uzbekistan

Tunisia

Turkey

Mauritania

Pakistan

Malaysia

Maldives

Comoros

Algeria

Azerbaijan

May I remind the Muslims (and non-muslims) that the above flags are representations of those countries but are not representatives of Islam or Muslims. The following flags could be representatives of Islam ( as per in compliance with Islamic mandate):

Image:Flag of Libya.svg

The above flag is the flag of Libya. In early times the flags of Islam were of solid colors and this could be consistent with that tradition and therefore, would be considered as a representative of Islam. The following is another consideration of an Islamic flag:

Image:Flag of Iraq.svg

The above flag is the flag of Iraq with the Arabic inscription "Allahu Akbar" or, "God is Great!" the only problem with this flag are the colors since they signify some relationship with a nation (and not Islam specifically) it couldn't be a representative. The red in most countries signify nationalism and nationalism being specific only to Arab countries that bear this color has no relevance to Islam.

Edited by Israfil
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 9:17am

I would say this is our flag:

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:19pm

It wasn't until the Ottoman Empire that the crescent moon and star became affiliated with the Muslim world. When the Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city's existing flag and symbol." (See Ref:http://islam.about.com/od/history/a/crescent_moon.htm

this is what i meant it was only adopted by the muslims in ottoman times.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:55pm
Correct
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic