IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Coming to Islam in Morocco  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coming to Islam in Morocco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coming to Islam in Morocco
    Posted: 09 July 2007 at 7:12am
I will just do this in vignettes to compliment my schedule...

When I moved to Morocco, I did so strictly to learn more about Moroccan
spiritual music. Full stop. While I had learned the oeuvre of the Gnawa
fraternity, I hadn't touched Islam. The master musician of the Fes
fraternity said, "You will never understand the power of this path if you
don't understand Islam."   So, I began Quran studies as well as adjusting a
great deal of ingrained behavior antipodal to Islam.

Soon, I was praying and learning the Sunna.
I told my teacher, before I was going to mosque for the first time, if I feel
nothing after this episode, I will likely turn away.
It was among the most incredible experiences for many reasons, but I will
list one for now:
On leaving the mosque, I was another man. I had no concept of how to
return to petty thinking, to sustain fights with my neighbors at the time.
I didn't want that feeling to ever leave me...a feeling that I had connected
with something so magnificent that the minor headaches became
nominal, manageable, even charming in their harmless smallness.

More...
abuzuhri View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuzuhri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 10:56pm

Dear Jamal Morelli, I would like  to share your unfolding of islam in Maghrib with another first hand account of a faqir named Sidi Khairudin al-Johori who stayed more than 20 years in England when he befriended with this seeker recently :

Anticipating A Future Shaykh in Morocco From The West

As we traveled in my 15 years old car to the ribat at Ukay Perdana Heights, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia one Saturday night of 19 June 2005, a strange story unfolds. This happen many times to the newcomers by the baraka of keeping company and traveling with any fuqara of sidi shaykh will reveals unexpected wisdom from their encounters. A faqir who spent many years in Europe cannot contain his share of amazement unloaded from sidi abdal aziz redpath of Norwich.

Here the story  starts:

A great sufi many decades ago in Morocco was given a dream that 2 men and a woman from afar will one day visit his little zawiya village near Fez. One of them is destined to be a great Shaykh or Wali. But all this will be happen in the future. He may not lived long to witness it.

Before he died, he told this dream to his young servant girl : Bury me here and give food-feed the poor everyday who visited my tomb. When you saw two strangers men and a woman traveling from Europe stop at my tomb, make them stay 3 days as my guest at this zawiya and then told them my vision and wishes.

So for a long time had passed and this young servant grew to old age but still no signs of that encounter as told by his master. She keep feeding the poor as the Sunna of Rasul, may Allah bless him and grant him peace.

One day- three peole from England travelled to Morocco in search of a sufi Shaykh. They are Sidi Abdal Aziz Redpath and his wife Rabea and another man. They were suppose going to the ancient city of Fez, passing this little village and paid a visit to the shrine of this wali. Immediately this woman guardian recognized them as predicted by the vision of his master. They wanted to go after this brief stopover but this lady forced them to stay longer. Despite strong protest, she said you must stay 3 nights as my guests.

After 3 days, the old woman told them the dream and the instruction on this wali and how she had fulfilled the wish. Now off you go � to see the Shaykh you want. They were told to meet Shaykh Muhammad ibn alHabib (SMH)  at Fez or Meknes where he has zawiyyas. That was somewhere 35 years ago in 1968.

So in retrospect, this faqir commented that Allah Taala in His knowledge and Decree, many years ago will cause the Shadhiliyya Darqawi Tariqa to be revive by a man from the West. But we must strive ahead to meet our destiny, not sitting still. SMH was also expecting this future murid who will a future Shaykh by asking Allah Taala to send him to sent man  to receive this tremendous sufic wisdom.

Alhamdulillah, do you see the baraka of this many layers of  people and journey to Him ? No doubt that sidi abdal aziz redpath who keep constant company with this man knew a lot of this early secrets and karama. We had met him twice when he traveled to Malaysia in 1990 and 2001. His wife rabea redpath also had wonderful expereinece living among the wives of SMH in Meknes when they just embraced islam and learns from him and his fuqara and faqirats. SMH passed away 3 years later.

That man predicted and the future Shaykh is none other than our Master, Shaykh Abdal Qadir as-Sufi of the contemporary Darqawi tariqa in the West when he completed the suluk and opening by the blessed inheritor of Shaykh Alawi, Shaykh al-Fayturi of Benghazi, Libya sometime in 1976.

Masya Allah, wa ma taufiqi illa bi�llah. We thanks Allah tabaraka wa taala for the gift of islam, iman and ihsan conveyed thru His Prophet, Companions and Awliya. May Allah give us a tasting of a moment of their glorious lives.

Rumi said:

Only the perfect wali is beyond

Air, earth, fire and water

For he lives already here

In the world of spirits

(page 264 The Triumphal Sun)

by Annemarie Schimmel

Edited by abuzuhri
abuzuhri shin
abuzuhri View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuzuhri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2007 at 6:28am
Salam my jamal and beautiful secluded fez
we have not heard from you over this summer
love to hear your twisty encounters with all
kind of muslims, strangers and tricksters
may your morelli spirit grow stronger
each passing of ramadhan and idul adha
may allah bless you with the hajj journey
in the nearest possible time !

abuzuhri shin
Farooqui View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Farooqui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 7:30am
Assalam alaikum Jamal,

I am intrigued by your vignette and wonder, since this was posted way back 9 months ago, whether you have any more. Postings like yours inspire, Alhamdulillah.

Wasalam
SaaDibnA.Waqqas View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaaDibnA.Waqqas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 7:08am
This Sufi stuff sounds like a lot of none-sense.
A man having knowledge of Ghaib, before he dies? Somethign is wrong with their Aqeedah.

None has knowledge of Ghaib, except Allah SWT  and whatever was revealed to Rasul Allah SAW.

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 12:34am
Originally posted by SaaDibnA.Waqqas SaaDibnA.Waqqas wrote:

This Sufi stuff sounds like a lot of none-sense.
A man having knowledge of Ghaib, before he dies? Somethign is wrong with their Aqeedah.

None has knowledge of Ghaib, except Allah SWT  and whatever was revealed to Rasul Allah SAW.

It is wrong to think like that. The saints of the Ummah did very well in spreading the message. It is true that the Sufism has also gone down and went astray. There are any pseudo-saints today who dance at the tone of the music (beat of the drum). They are not real saints. Think of Al-Ghazali, Shaikh Akbar Mohiyuddin of Undulus, Sh. Abdul Qadir al-Geelani, Mujaddid Alph al Thani Sh. Ahmed Sarhindi.

On the other side we only have some hardline  maulvis who would like the apparant rules of Shariyat to be harshly applied on all people, and they would kill and punish those who do not abide by the Sharia. A good example of those in recent days is the Taliban of Afghanistan, not having the real knowledge of Islam.

Please start off with the group who used to be close to the prophet in the Mosque of the prophet at Madinah day and night just waiting to hear some word of the prophet s.a.w.s. They suffered some hardships too but were patient. hazrat Abu Hurairah was one of them. (More later if required.)

Edited by minuteman - 09 September 2008 at 12:36am
zhou View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2009 at 9:52pm
Ramadhan and winter is coming, I wonder any new post from our
great moroccan traveler sidi morelli ! Fez is cooler now and please
serve us the green tea from China !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic