IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - prove the truth  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

prove the truth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quraysh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prove the truth
    Posted: 26 June 2007 at 11:15am

A Christian friend asked me this, how should i reply ?

As to further discussion: Sure we could talk more, but for it to be constructive, one of us must be able to prove the truth, and one of us must be willing to accept the proof. How is that going to happen? We are both locked in our paradigms (ways of understanding/interpreting things) with no hope of going outside of them. That is, without something that will enable one of us to break free. Do you have something like that? Mere ideas, opinions, and confident declarations are not enough. We�ve gone �round and �round with this stuff long enough to know that!

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 9:37pm

I feel that the proposition is good and reasonable and should be accepted. That is how it should be. But there should be some restrictions on the material presented. The material presented should be from the original books and not something from own mind.

It should not be that the original book of the debator is quiet on the subject and the debator starts advocating things on behalf of his/her belief from self, no where to be found in their books.

Also discussion should be gentle. Every one should present the good things of ones own belief and should not attack the beliefs of the other.  And so on.  Am I on the right track?? Please inform me...

Delta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 1:02am
Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

The material presented should be from the original books and not something from own mind.

Books ? what books if there is anti-christian books, and anti-islam-books ? anti-Islam sites and anti-christian sites ?

I think you are rejecting the only thing that can lead you to the full truth : your mind

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Quraysh Quraysh wrote:

A Christian friend asked me this, how should i reply ?

As to further discussion: Sure we could talk more, but for it to be constructive, one of us must be able to prove the truth, and one of us must be willing to accept the proof. How is that going to happen? We are both locked in our paradigms (ways of understanding/interpreting things) with no hope of going outside of them. That is, without something that will enable one of us to break free. Do you have something like that? Mere ideas, opinions, and confident declarations are not enough. We�ve gone �round and �round with this stuff long enough to know that!

What has happened to just sharing instead of being at logger heads who is proving/showing truth.

To be constructive i think you need to get away from who's going to back down and say yes to the other in order to move on.

You have your faith and he has his faith, tell him why does one need to prove the truth and accept it (if its truthful at all) in order to continue with constructive talk.

Also, if neither of you cannot move on because your understanding/interpreting has ended or no more to go because you don't have any extra knowledge/interpration to put forth, then basically you cannot really continue until you learn more.

maybe move on to another subject.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Delta Delta wrote:

The material presented should be from the original books and not something from own mind.

Books ? what books if there is anti-christian books, and anti-islam-books ? anti-Islam sites and anti-christian sites ?

I think you are rejecting the only thing that can lead you to the full truth : your mind

Actually minuteman is right, it needs to be from original books or authorative book.

Yes, use your mind is another thing - after you have gathered information.

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 2:53am

By the books is meant the Torah and the Bible Ot and NT and the Quran etc. Same for other religions that they may have their books.

One should not use his mind or try to advocate something which is not in the book of his belief. That will be overdoing it.

I had stated that every one should present the good points of their books and not to attack the other faiths.

Now I add another one here. No one should try to attack the others faith with something bad that may be present in his own faith too.

Delta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 5:25am

By the books is meant the Torah and the Bible Ot and NT and the Quran etc. Same for other religions that they may have their books.

One should not use his mind or try to advocate something which is not in the book of his belief. That will be overdoing it.

I had stated that every one should present the good points of their books and not to attack the other faiths.

Now I add another one here. No one should try to attack the others faith with something bad that may be present in his own faith too.

You're allegations are based in the fact that the QuRan and Bible are compatible, or Islam and Christianity, which they are not. They are the opposites

FIRST :

Nowhere in the Quran or Hadiths is saying which Bible's verses are trustful

So you cannot quote nothing from the Bible

SECOND :

You don't know how to interpret 90% of the Koran without Hadiths.

I'm laughing every time some muslim asks :

"Please can you put a hadith in these ?"
"Please can you put a Hadith in that ?"

That's nonsense, illogic

Quraysh View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quraysh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 6:31am

thanks for the feedback, I like Angels point, which is very valid, i think having further knowledge and a better understanding will move this conversation further..

any other ideas suggestions etc would still be appreciated.

thanks!

how is this book Misquoting Jesus ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic