IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is Sufism?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Sufism?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Sufism?
    Posted: 17 June 2007 at 5:58pm
What is Sufism?  ( tasawwuf )

Al-Hamdu lillah was-Salat was-Salam
`ala Rasulillah wa Alihi wa Sahbihi wa man Walah

"Before asking what is Sufism, we should ask what is Religion."
(Shaykh Nazim in an interview with the BBC, London 1991)

Shaykh al-`Arusi said in his marginalia
titled Nata'ij al-Afkar al-Qudsiyya (Bulaq, 1920/1873):

�Religion (al-d�n) is an orchard of which the fence is the Law (al-shar�`a), the inner grove is the Path (al-tar�qa), and the fruit is the Reality (al-haq�qa). Whoever has no Law has no Religion; whoever has no Path has no Law; and whoever has no Reality has no Path ... �

"The way of the Sufis consists in ten items:

(1) The reality of tasawwuf which is defined by truthful self-orientation (sidq al-tawajjuh) to Allah Most High.

(2) The pivot of truthful tawajjuh is to single out the heart and the body for [obedience of] Allah Alone.

(3) Tasawwuf in relation to D�n is like the soul in relation to the body.

(4) The Sufi examines the factors of perfection and deficiency.

(5) The Jurist examines whatever discharges liability (m� yusqitu al-haraj) while the scholar of juridical/doctrinal Principles (al-us�l�) examines whatever makes one's faith valid and firmly established. Therefore the Sufi's perspective is more specific than both of theirs, consequently their criticism of him is valid, while his criticism of either of them is invalid. Hence 'the Sufi among Jurists is better than the Jurist among Sufis.'

(6) To display the nobility of tasawwuf, its evidence being both by demonstration and by textual precedent (burh�nan wa nassan).

(7) Fiqh [jurisprudence] is the precondition for the validity of tasawwuf and that is why it has precedence over it.

(8) Terminology and its specific applicability to each discipline exclusively of others.

(9) The keys of spiritual opening concerning which there are four rulings: first principles; truthful aspiration towards attainment; longing for spiritual realities; and quitting the guideline of what is transmitted (al-manq�l) once one obtains self-realization (al-tahq�q).

(10) It is a wonderful and strange path built on the permanent following of what is better and best: in doctrines it consists in following the Salaf; in rulings, fiqh; in meritorious deeds (al-fada'il), the scholars of hadith; and in high manners (al-�d�b), all that is conducive to the wholeness of hearts."

Some definitions of tasawwuf:

Tasawwuf: Purification of the self from all that is other than the remembrance and obedience of Allah; the realization of ihs�n (excellence); zuhd (asceticism) combined with ma`rifa (knowledge of Allah); the attribute of the Sufi. "Ceasing objection" (al-Su`luki); "Abandoning the world and its people" (Ibn Sam`un). "Tasawwuf is neither knowledge nor deeds but an attribute with which the essence of the Sufi adorns itself, possessing knowledge and deeds, and consisting in the balance in which these two are weighed." (Ibn Khafif)

Some definitions of the Sufi:

S�f�, pl. S�fiyya: One who follows the path of tasawwuf, "He who gazes at the Real in proportion to the state in which He maintains him" (Bundar). They wore wool (s�f): "I found the redress of my heart between Makka and Madina with a group of strangers ­ people of wool and cloaks" (ash�b s�f wa `ab�'). Sufyan al-Thawri as cited from Khalaf ibn Tamim by al-Dhahabi, Siyar A`lam al-Nubala' (Dar al-Fikr ed. 7:203).

Hajj Gibril

GF Haddad �
[2000-09-29]

http://www.livingislam.org/fiqhi/fiqha_e50.html

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
abuzaid View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuzaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 10:06pm

Many sufis believe in Pantheism, Wahdatul Wajood

Many believe that Prophet Mohammed PBUH taught sufism to Ali Ibn Abi Talib secretly and Ali RA taught it to Hasan Basri secretly and he taught to others secretly and thus this secret order continued.

Almost all sufis perform Ibadat in a fashion which was not taught by Prophet.

You may give hundreds of justification for sufism, but how do you relate it with Prophethood??

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2007 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by abuzaid abuzaid wrote:

Many sufis believe in Pantheism, Wahdatul Wajood

You are generalizing from the particular. I simply reply, many do not, and any Sufi that believes in Pantheism is outside the folds of Islam.

Imam Anawawi was a sufi, but he was not a panthiest. Why not focus on Sufism, as described in the science of tasawuuf, and not by bad examples of those who have gone astray?

Imam Malik said:

man tasawwafa wa lam yatafaqqa fa qad tazandaqa
wa man tafaqqaha wa lam yatasawwaf fa qad tafassaqa
wa man jama`a bayn al-ithnayn fa qad tahaqqaqa

He who practices tasawwuf without learning Sacred Law
corrupts his faith, while he who learns Sacred Law without
practicing tasawwuf corrupts himself.
Only he who combines the two proves true.

A true sufi is a faqi, which is why I laugh when someone calls me such a name. I wish I had their patience and knowledge. Some of the greatest Sheikhs that have ever lived were Sufis, as Sufism was taugh as an integral part of Islamic sciences, and it is only in the 20th century that some deviated groups have tried to challenge this accepted discipline of knowledge. Imam Nawai, Qadi Iyad, Ibn Hajar Asqalani, Imam Ibn Jawzi, the great man known as Hujjat al-Islam, Abu Hamid al Ghazzali, all were Sufis.

Many believe that Prophet Mohammed PBUH taught sufism to Ali Ibn Abi Talib secretly and Ali RA taught it to Hasan Basri secretly and he taught to others secretly and thus this secret order continued.

Imam Ahmed (Rahimullah) narrates in his Musnad with a Sahih Isnad

"Abu Bakr does not surpass you for fasting much or praying, but because of a secret that took root in his heart."

Imam Suyuti (Raimullah) states in his al-hawi li-l-Fatawa and Imam Bukhari (Rahimullah) in his Sahih;

"Whatever Allah poured into my breast I have poured into the breast of Abu Bakr as-Siddiq."

"Allah has expanded my breast for what He has expanded the breast of Abu Bakr and Umar to receive."

"I am the City of Knowledge and cAli is the Door." related by Tirmidhi

So why not?

Almost all sufis perform Ibadat in a fashion which was not taught by Prophet.

You may give hundreds of justification for sufism, but how do you relate it with Prophethood??

Almost all Muslims study Islam in a way that the Prophet (saw) nor his companions learned the deen, knowledge broken down into systematic classifications of sciences, how do you relate that to prophethood? Tasawuuf is related to prophethood by a given means that allow one to become closer to Allah withint the boundaries of the shariah, through the cleansing of ones heart and character.  

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
abuzaid View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuzaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 2:04am

OK that's great, here it boils down to principle differences.

Point1: I totally agree that there are many sufis who does not believe Pantheism, yet many of the them respect and call them "Shaikhul Akbar" There are very few who condemn the pantheism. because Many do not believe in patheism I never considered all sufis as evil.

Point 2: Source of Sufism.

"Abu Bakr does not surpass you for fasting much or praying, but because of a secret that took root in his heart."
It does not say some secret was taught to Abu Bakr by Prophet PBUH, some "that took root" can't be considered secret knowledge. Its simply strength of faith or "sharh sadr"

"Whatever Allah poured into my breast I have poured into the breast of Abu Bakr as-Siddiq."

"Allah has expanded my breast for what He has expanded the breast of Abu Bakr and Umar to receive

Sharh sadr is a Quranic term, not a secret knowledge. You have to check tafseer to know meaning of Sharh Sadr and sufis.

"I am the City of Knowledge and cAli is the Door."

Where does it say about secret order.

Point 3:Innovation:

In general, anything is allowed excpet what is prohinited in Shariah. But Ibadat (religious ritauls) is an exception. Here everything is prohinited except what is allowed in shariah.

If you do not agree with this principle than you can make any modification or addition is Deen without any limit. A hindu Worship creater of universe by keeping a stone just for concentration. would you say this is acceptable for muslims also. Or would you allow sacrificing a chicken on Eed ul Adha, or would you allow someone to fast noon to noon?

abuzaid View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuzaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 6:18am
Would you give me some hint about Four Imam of fiqh if they were sufi or endorsed sufism.
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 11:55pm

OK that's great, here it boils down to principle differences.

Point1: I totally agree that there are many sufis who does not believe Pantheism, yet many of the them respect and call them "Shaikhul Akbar" There are very few who condemn the pantheism. because Many do not believe in patheism I never considered all sufis as evil.

Again, I want to get away from a superficial discussion that uses semantics and sweeping generalizations. When I speak of Sufism, there is only one kind of Sufism, used to denote an established and accepted science in Islam that was taught without question in all of the classical insitutions of learning for centuries. This science taught the methods to deal with spiritual maladies of the heart, in order to bring a beliver into a closer relationship with God, and to better oneself as a Muslim, within the boundaries of the Shariah.

If you say, "such and such person was doing such and such heretical thing and was a sufi", then they were not a sufi, much less Muslim.

In these discussions, we must be clear as to what we are talking about to guard against equivicational mix ups.

Point 2: Source of Sufism.

It does not say some secret was taught to Abu Bakr by Prophet PBUH, some "that took root" can't be considered secret knowledge. Its simply strength of faith or "sharh sadr"

So if it is that simple and straightforward as you simply assert, then why not say it as the Prophet (saw) normally did when speaking of such mundane and "straightforward" subjects? The hadith does not say that it was strength of faith. The "secret" was something granted to him by Allah. 

"Allah has expanded my breast for what He has expanded the breast of Abu Bakr and Umar to receive

Sharh sadr is a Quranic term, not a secret knowledge. You have to check tafseer to know meaning of Sharh Sadr and sufis.

Terms can be both "Quranic" and strictly defined according to Allah, and can be defined by context. The above is not strictly defined in the Quran. The hadith is related to the first I provided, and if you want to believe they are not, then you are reaching, and we can all play a strict "sketpical" role and rule out a great deal of our faith. I see no compelling objection to view these as other than I have provided.

"I am the City of Knowledge and cAli is the Door."

Where does it say about secret order.

That is a strawman, no one claimed that it stated anything about a "secret order".

Point 3:Innovation:

In general, anything is allowed excpet what is prohinited in Shariah. But Ibadat (religious ritauls) is an exception. Here everything is prohinited except what is allowed in shariah.

You are asserting, assertion is not proof, it is an empty claim.

Show where Sufism is a concept that is prohibited by the shariah? I find it interesting that you do not claim to be a wahabi, yet your objections are verbatim.

Do not take this the wrong way, but I find it a bit funny that somehow the greatest minds that graced our deen instituted this idea, and somehow your objections did not ever cross their minds.

If you do not agree with this principle than you can make any modification or addition is Deen without any limit.

Your point as an unproven assumption buried in its premise: Sufism (tasawuuf) has exceeded the limites of the deen.

A hindu Worship creater of universe by keeping a stone just for concentration.

Thats very interesting but irrelevant. If it is relevant, then please argue how it is relevant.

would you say this is acceptable for muslims also.

I am not a faqi. That is a question for a scholar, not me.

Or would you allow sacrificing a chicken on Eed ul Adha, or would you allow someone to fast noon to noon?

Again I find these to be irrelevant. As for the question, ask a faqi, and if they are relevant, please argue.

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 12:08am

Would you give me some hint about Four Imam of fiqh if they were sufi or endorsed sufism.

Muhammad ibn Ahmad al-Saffarini al-Hanbali (d. 1188) relates in his Ghidha' al-albab li-sharh manzumat al-adab from Ibrahim ibn `Abd Allah al-Qalanasi that Imam Ahmad said about the Sufis: "I don't know people better than them." Someone said to him: "They listen to music and they reach states of ecstasy." He said: "Do you prevent them from enjoying an hour with Allah?"

al-Saffarini, Ghidha' al-albab li-sharh manzumat al-adab (Cairo: Matba`at al-Najah, 1324/1906) 1:120

Be both a jurisprudent and a s.�f� - never just one of the two.
Truly, by the Divine Right, I am advising you sincerely!
For the former is hardened, his heart tastes no Godwariness,
While the latter is ignorant - of what use is the ignorant?
Al-Sh�fi`�, D�w�n (p. 177 #45).

Imam Malik said: �He who practices tasawwuf without learning Sacred Law corrupts his faith, while he who learns Sacred Law without practicing tasawwuf corrupts himself. Only he who combines the two proves true.�

`Ali al-Qari, Sharh `Ayn al-`Ilm wa- Zayn al-Hilm (Cairo: Maktabat al-Thaqafa al-Diniyya, 1989) 1:33; Ahmad Zarruq, Qawa`id al-tasawwuf (Cairo, 1310); `Ali al-`Adawi, Hashiyat al-`Adawi `ala Sharh Abi al-Hasan li-Risalat Ibn Abi Zayd al-Musammat Kifayat al- Talib al-Rabbani li-Risalat Ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawani fi Madhhab Malik (Beirut?: Dar Ihya' al-Kutub al-`Arabiyah, (n.d.) 2:195; Ibn `Ajiba, Iqaz al-Himam fi Sharh al- Hikam (Cairo: Halabi, 1392/1972) p. 5-6.

allahu a'lim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic