IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Marijuana to help aid sleep??  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marijuana to help aid sleep??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nabil1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marijuana to help aid sleep??
    Posted: 04 June 2007 at 10:47am

Salaam

Im new here. I have been a smoker of marijuana for 7 years and have tried to quit, i have not smoked for two weeks now. The problem is that the only reason i smoked marijuana was to aid me in my sleep, since i have stopped i have had problems in sleeping. I have tried taking conventional medicine like Nytol and others but with no luck.

Is marijuana still haram if i wish to smoke it for aiding me in my sleep?

I have read various online forums that state any intoxication is haram except for medicinal purposes.

I will apreciate all advice on this situation.

Salaam.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 2:32am

The reason why you are having trouble sleeping after stopping after 2 weeks is because your body is going through a withdrawl, this is natural.

If you want help with sleeping there are natural remedies that are better than marijuana.

Perhaps there is an underlying cause of why you cannot sleep, therefore it maybe better to seek out a doctor, but not one that will simply prescribed sleeping medication, a doctor that will going through your history thoroughly - takes time for you.

They say warm milk and honey is supposed to help with sleep.

If you are busy, it is wise to relax before going to bed, perhaps have some relaxing essential oils, like lavender burning -just DON'T burn awhile asleep, don't want to burn your house down.

And/or listen to relaxing music, not to loud and you could just leave the music going and let yourself fall asleep.

Some herbal remedies, and it would be really beneficial to go to a qualified and licensed natural practioner who can advise you on the proper usuage.

Chamomile, you can get these in the supermarket in tea bags.

Lavender

Valerian  root, health shops do have these on the shelf but to me i think its better to go to a practioner in natural remedies.

Kava, same thing as above.

Lemon Balm - not sure how this is taken but its also in essential oils to burn.

Passion flower - same thing for lemon balm.

As far my learning in islam goes, natural remedies are good, except marijuana as it alters your mind somewhat. I know it can be used for pain relief but that would be under supervision.

Try to get off the marijuana, continue with not taking it, also your body has probably gotten accustom to it so it won't work as effectively anymore.

Well i hope this helps.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
shoe ba View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoe ba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2007 at 10:26am

Angel is right.  When you use an aid for sleep, you rebound to not being able to sleep when you go off it.  Here are some other tips we give as nurses:

• Don't exercise 4-6 hours before bed
  • Don't drink fluids 2-3 hours before bed
  • Don't use your bed for anything other than sleep and sex
  • DO stretch achy muscles out
  • DO have a bedtime routine (cleaning, reading, medidating, thinking about your day-yer choice).  This lets your body know sleep time is coming
  • DO go to bed and wake up at the same time every day
  • DO have your bedroom free from noise and light (get dark curtains if need be)
  • DO have adequate pillows for comfort (I use one between my knees and one behind my back)

Good luck re-teaching your body how to sleep naturally!! 

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 2:16am
another tip is air your bedroom out during the day - ventilate, have windows open for a few hours (unless it is raining or if the rain is not hitting the windows still open for a bit, just keep an eye out).
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
shoe ba View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shoe ba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 10:46am
There you go!!  I also forgot that you SHOULD definitely exercise every day--just not close to before you go to bed.  If you start biking or running or even just taking walk every day for 30-60 min, you will likely start sleeping like a baby.   And I misspoke (mistyped?) earlier: avoid exercising within 3 hours of going to bed.
Slot View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2007 at 1:54pm
I had this same problem when I quit smoking when I reverted to Islam. Just have faith in Allah(swt) and know that it is Allah(swt) who can guide you through this hard time. Try burning incense and throwing out all of your pipes and smoking utensils. Also, SEPERATE yourself from those who still smoke and find comfort in your local Masjid or in the Holy Qu'ran. Let me know if I can help brother, may you find peace in Allah(swt) and the Prophet(saw). :)
abdullah123 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdullah123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 12:52am
you may use marijuana if you like... because it has never caused a single death in history and it has never been found to cause cancer or any other disease... i have spoken to almost a dozen scholars on this issue and they have all said that marijuana is in that gray area and it is up to the muslim (in there honest opinion) if it causes health problems or not... for now i believe (even though im not a user) that it does not cause any health problems because this has never been proven...

so basically you can use marijuana to help you sleep if you want.
Clayton View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 6:36pm
Marijuana is a natural plant that cures many ailments and cannot cause death therefore it is okay to use it but you can't smoke it because the smoke can cause lung cancer and it is haram to do anything that could cause you to die by your own hand so use a bong, pipe or atomizer, hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic