IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to NOT categorize women  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to NOT categorize women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:21pm

Well, there has to be a reason that Revelations says so few will be saved.  But to lay the blame of wickedness on women is wrong. 

You would love to demonize every western woman.  But, guess what....that single mother didn't get there on her own.  There was a man involved...very involved.  Why didn't he step up?  Why is she single? 

You point out divorce rates.  Where is the cliche?  The man who leaves his wife of 15 years for a younger woman.  Not the woman running out on the man. 

The guys in at my college had a competition on how many freshman girls they could get.  Most of the girls are relative innocents, yet its the guys who are actively hunting them.

In India, they are having serious problems with the youth wanting to date and avoid arranged marriages.  But, more than that, they are having problems with men marrying women and then killing them when their families fail to pay the dowry.  Or after the dowry is paid, leaving never to be seen again.  Women are forced into abortions of female fetuses and there is really no way for them to escape abusive husbands. 

YET, they flipped a gasket when Richard Gere kissed a friend on the cheek.  Now, may I ask where their priorities are?  There is a society that supposedly focuses on chasity and morality, yet huge abuses are happening.

Its not western women that are evil.  I get the impression that you have a huge problem with women to begin with.  I often wonder what it is about women that scares men.  Paradise is at a Mother's feet.  Yet, the idea that a woman can be strong and intelligent absolutely scares men. 

In the end, it was women who were the greatest support to Muhammed (pbuh).  Khadijah, Fatima, Aisha...  It was a woman who was the first martyr.  Many of the hadiths begin with women approaching the Prophet and asking questions.  How could they have done this if they were locked away?????

You seem to lack a basic respect for women.  Its not the woman, its the environment.  Who created the environment?????  Women have only had the right to vote in this country for 88 years. 

Slavery, oppression, war... taxes, interest, poor being paid little...

Its not the 3ft piece of cloth on a woman's head that makes her pure.  Its not the length of a man's beard or his kufi that makes him pious.  Its whats in a persons heart. 

The women are forced to deal with the mess, and often the only way they can.  How many of us know grandmothers who are raising the children of their sons and daughters.  How many women have husbands behind bars?  How many women find themselves without support after their husband leaves? 

What happens to the widows of war?  If you are in an environment that forbids absolutely the mixing of sexes then what happens when the husband dies?  The woman has to beg for charity or become a burden to her aging parents... or worse her child must work before they are grown.

I don't think the answer is forcing women into Abayas and forbidding all kinds of contact.  I think men need to learn to control themselves and not be such pigs.

crasss View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

But, guess what....that single mother didn't get there on her own.  There was a man involved...very involved.  Why didn't he step up?  Why is she single?...You would love to demonize every western woman.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 9:58am
When I started this thread I did it with the intention of not discussing sociology, rather, discussing specifically not to categorize women in the West.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 10:04am

Sorry Israfil, but where do you think stereotypes come from?

Stereotypes are a product of the perceptions of one groups social order by another.  They are often false and oversimplified.

Non-Westerners see the Big Cities and Hollywood productions and think that is what all americans are like.  Yet they never see the small towns and average americans.  

I noticed the response to your statement about prejudice towards black reverts.  Why do you think that is?  I have known alot of very wonderful Black Americans who live in a variety of areas.  None of them were anything like the stereotypes of young black americans.  They were not hiphop.   

Just like you not wanting Rappers to represent you, I don't want Victoria Secret models to represent me.  Its all about sociology and prejudice.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 2:00pm

Angela I agree with your definition on stereotypes, and yes most foreigners assume that America is about "John Wayne" movies and glamor when its more than that. Although your definition of stereotypes is quite correct I believe stereotypes stem from not just what people perceive from media but from her say from others of the same group based on experiences. Now as far as the black reverts are concerned I don't think I made any references of that in this thread although I did make the example of the gentleman I spoke with who assumed I listend to rap.

I used that example because it was a similar remark a few threads made by Crasss. It was to show how dumb assumptions are especially when you classify one group in one box according to your experiences. I find categories of any kind (even religious) unfair and inaccurate. This is why I don't [for the purpose of maintaining the belief that God is beyond my own senses] do not assign attributes to God save what is accorded by religious tradition.

Angela because you asked the question about the black reverts I will answer it and I ask for forgiveness for slightly derailing the thread. I'm glad you asked because I want people to know what I think. Aside from black being the "black sheep" in Islam and other religions I find blacks globally to be the most disadvantaged [notice as I said before my opinion is biased so obviously others will disagree]. The reason I say this is because there has been no other ethnic group historically recorded to ever have been taken advantaged  for their physiology [because they took the best and strongest slaves in West Africa] and use that to take advantage of them. No other group has ever lost a culture, language, tradition, like Africans.

In the United States one can make the argument for Native Americans and that would be a good argument, however Native Americans regardless of tribe, have a culture, have a language and have a tradition so few members know. Black Americans don't. They talk about Jews being massacred when over 400 MILLION [as some estimates put it] blacks were enslaved. Languages of tribes were lost and replaced with colonial tradition so for some of us we call this the "Black Holocaust." As far as the world is concerned, being black not just simply being dark skinned but being black is looked at in a negative way. Blacks historically have even been coerced to hate their own skin tone during slavery. Even in the world Black Africans were not seen highly in other cultures and in their religions. Speaking of religion this reason was used to justify taking blacks into captivity. I've even read that Arab Muslims, when travelling in the North African region did a similar thing. Some Moors didn't willingly adopt Islam and fought against the travelling Arab Muslim army of course you won't hear that.

Now when we come to religion why do think black reverts get worse treatment? For the same reason why I think Blacks historically have been mistreated.

Edited by Israfil
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 3:50pm

I agree with you on the horrid conditions that many blacks have felt over the millenia.  Religion has been used as an excuse for racism.  There is no one worse off than black women.  Sadly, many of the single mothers Crasss is so quick to blame are poor black women with little community and little hope.

I am a big proponent of marriage.  But, to blame single mothers for their situations is short sighted.  I have a good friend who is an attorney in New York now.  She was raised by a single mother.  She's hardworking, dedicated and loves to serve.  We were in Alpha Phi Omega together.  APO is a coed community service fraternity.  I remember her leadership skills quite well.  Her mother did a fantastic job instilling morals, values and accomplishments.

I also remember the girls in the school who partied the hardest.  They came from married, wealthy families that had little time to concern themselves with religion, children or responsibility. A former roommate of mine intentionally broke her $2000 laptop because she wanted a new one. 

There are many hardworking moral women in this country.  And a lot of hardworking Latinos, Blacks, Asians, Arabs, Eastern Europeans and Polynesians. 

I get upset when people judge anyone based on media or even cultural perceptions.  You can see my hair and elbows.  But that does not make me an adulteress.  Nor would I ever cheat on my husband.  The idea that because I was born and raised in the west that I'm somehow morally bankrupt bothers me.

Same with the idea that single mothers are somehow less moral.  Not all of them started out single.  Some were married, or had long lasting relationships.  Some were young women taken advantage of. 

With divorce rates of 52%, there are lots of single mothers who had their babies in wedlock. 

Even of those that didn't.  Not every one of them subscribes to Judeo-Christian religions.  We are a society of many faiths.  You cannot force the values of one on all.

To be truthful, men (and women) who want to catagorize a group based off of their shortsighted and bigoted viewpoint will do that no matter what the reality.  Its mankind's natural arrogance that leads them to think their way is always right and they are superior because of it.  If we didn't have this arrogance, the events of the Tower of Babel would never have happened and we would all still be speaking the language of Adam.

crasss View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

I am a big proponent of marriage.

Better no marriage than one with the wrong person. I am a big proponent of carefully selecting such marriage partner. Even western men seem to have figured out that much. They seem to be on marriage strike.

So, western women have managed to paint themselves into a corner: Generally unwanted for marriage by western men, and simply unsuitable for marriage with traditional men.

Religious, virgin, and no divorced parents. Voila. Not negotiable.

I had to travel halfway the planet to find someone untainted by western depravity, and believe me, it's worth it. My advice: Don't pick your wife in the middle of the western fornication fest.

Concerning African-American women, I feel sorry for the fact that they are so affected by that western anti-culture. 

In fact, about 70-percent of black children are born to single moms.

This is a good example of what happens when a minority "integrates". The message is clear. Keep your own culture, traditions, and religion, and stay clear from the western mainstream, or else go under.

crasss View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

No other group has ever lost a culture, language, tradition, like Africans.

It's a disaster. You can't keep fishing in that pond.

If you marry an African-American, she won't satisfy the criteria, and you are heading for divorce and other calamities. And even in the unlikely event that it worked, the kids will in turn start fishing in the wrong pond. We're talking about seriously toxic waters.

There are two viable strategies possible. One, you find an identifiable subgroup that has better characteristics and consistently rejects the main group, or two, you abandon ship, and culturally join another group, which is more resilient to depravity.

You don't need to move race altogether. There are very interesting Somali blacks, for example. They seem to be determined to hang on to a firmly ingrained islamic culture, and to Islam in general. Of course, they're at war with the American fornicating empire of evil. (What did you expect ...)

But then again, you really need to abandon that dysfunctional African-American white-destroyed Christian-misled subculture, and save yourself, or all your efforts for yourself or your children will be in vain. That dysfunctional subculture is dead-end.

There are probably other viable Islamic black cultures around, besides the Somalis, especially in eastern Africa, that are definitely worth investigating.

Look at the community. Is it cohesive? Are they sufficiently anti-western? Seriously religious? Not too much divorce? Few single mothers? Low level of illegitimacy? Headscarves and hijab everywhere?

Ok, then you can start figuring out a religious, virgin, no-divorced-parents' bride, and hopefully make a compelling offer that they can accept. Since you're religiously serious and you can make a living, you should be able to convince a family somewhere. I am confident you can find a cute one with a pleasant personality, in addition to her religious zeal and religiously guarded chastity.

I wouldn't bother with wealth or degrees. That's not going to save your arse from divorce or prevent the kids from joining in on the western depravity fest. On the contrary, the more exposed to western-style education, the more likely they bought in to the underlying depravity.

Poor is ok. As long as they are decent, religious, honest, chaste, with an elaborate sense of honour. Farmers tend to be more reliable than urban people in that respect.

From there on, I would say, bye bye to the evil fornicating empire.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic