IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to NOT categorize women  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to NOT categorize women

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:49pm

Crass,

I agree with you regarding the social culture makes people who do not want to live this "free" lifestyle they battle a uphill battle. The "free" lifestyle is constantly around you and the message seep through.

I do agree with Angela that people are trying. I think it is easier to raise kids with stronger moral values in rural areas.

I also tend to think it has alot to do with how people view marriage and relationships. People think "love" is the main part but really, that is an "extra" bonus in a sense to shared moral values, respect and actually basic decency and such.

And the only thing is that to assume that all these women are sleeping around. And there are some but not most people. It is just one aspect of a society that focuses on the individual rather then the collective and has many other problems besides sexual morality.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
crasss View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

I do agree with Angela that people are trying. I think it is easier to raise kids with stronger moral values in rural areas.

You can do it in an urban area too. Live close together with other Muslims, and ward off any western influence. Especially, don't let the kids hang out with westernized kids. And keep as much as you can to the extended family, if you hopefully have one.

I also tend to think it has alot to do with how people view marriage and relationships. People think "love" is the main part but really, that is an "extra" bonus in a sense to shared moral values, respect and actually basic decency and such.

Marriage is a survival method, and not a way to satisfy romantic desires, even though it lends itself to that too. In an overly wealthy society, it is easy to lose track of what really matters, especially if the government keeps picking up the bill for destructive behaviour.

And the only thing is that to assume that all these women are sleeping around. And there are some but not most people.

They have little choice. No man is going to show up on their doorstep to see her father and ask for her hand. They can wait forever.

So, they agree to have sex without marriage, which of course, further reduces the incentive to marry. As a man, you can have sex anyway.  Why marry?

And also, since she is giving it away without marriage commitment, she's going to give it away after marriage too. It's hard to drop bad habits. Most people can't. You can't trust any woman you met in that way. It's also very dangerous. No man wants to get caught up in divorce proceedings. So, that means: no marriage.

If she doesn't start giving it away, others will. So, that doesn't help either, because there still won't be anyone with serious proposals at the door. In the western mainstream, it doesn't pay to remain chaste. It's increasingly either casual sex or else nothing. The dynamics have moved in that direction. Nobody in the mainstream can avoid that.

You have to keep yourself and the kids out of the western mainstream, if you don't like these dynamics. The more you integrate, the more you or the kids will be in trouble.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 1:01am

Society is not some isolated entity. Family also developes social norms as well but sometimes people within such social norms do not act within the macrocosm of society. By the way, the illusion of "free sex without consequences" is not something totally isolated to Western countries. Like I said unreported groups within highly religious countries have these activities it is just not as noticeable and visible as it is here.

crasss View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 1:28am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Like I said unreported groups within highly religious countries have these activities it is just not as noticeable and visible as it is here.

Of course.

However, these highly religious countries do not let the social norm freely float and degenerate to whatever next. They keep enforcing the same social norm as ever.

So, people who want to break the rule in those countries, will still do so by dating, and generally not move on to casual sex with strangers. Self-evidently, as soon as dating is allowed to become the social norm, they will break the rule by getting into casual sex.

One day or the other, the situation in the West will be so far degenerated, that they will have to intervene, and enforce a social norm anyway. And then we're back to square one, as this whole idea of "freedom" consisted in not enforcing any norm at all.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 9:28am

God gave us free will to chose right and wrong.  When society forces any norm, people will rebel.  I use the example of Saudi Arabia often.  Unlike the Afghani people, they cannot blame poverty and lack of educational resources for their failings.  I'm quite sure there is a fine line between encouraging proper behavior and tyranny.  When school girls are not allowed to flee fire because they are not properly covered, this becomes a problem.  Those girls were not running out of a school to show themselves off.  They were just trying to survive.  The moral police should have let them out and then gathered them in a safe place.  If they were really concerned for these young girls, they would have got them to safety and then sent some officers to get hijabs for them. 

Western women have to walk a fine line between being objectified and losing their god given freedom.  The Quran states a woman is not property, she is a person in her own right.

You say about men FORCING morality.  That is wrong.  There is no compulsion in religion.  A good, loving, caring and dutiful father will have his daughters undying loyalty.  He won't have to force anything.  She would have been taught right and wrong and will want to find a husband like her father. 

Women look for men who represent what they know.  If the father is a controlling abusive tyrant.  The girl thinks that's what a man should be.  If the father is loving and responsible.  The girl will want that.

If the parents show their kids what a loving marriage can be, the children will want the same.  Arranged or not.  If a girl trusts her parents and has no reason to fear, wouldn't she be more likely to accept a match that was made?  Especially if the parents make her part of the decision making process.  No woman wants to spend the rest of her life with someone that is a stranger. 

I turned to God dispite my parents.  They call themselves Christian but never go to Church...anywhere.  I would not have trusted my father to make a good match.  He didn't always treat my mother well and my mother was not the type to put herself on the line if he made a decision about us kids.

Women in the west date because they want to find the best man.  We want to decide for ourselves.  Women were nothing but property only 100+ years ago.  When you force women into such horrid conditions the pendulum swings equally the other way when that force is removed.  But like any pendulum, it will swing back and forth until the middle is found.

The Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) tried to remove the force and oppression of women.  He order female infantcide to stop.  He gave the woman property rights and the right to chose her husband.  He gave her the right to divorce and to make her own decisions.  Her male relatives are not suppose to force anything on her.  They are to protect her from... other men. 

If your daughter's husband is beating her, its your responsibility to protect her.  That is not to say, its your right to force her to divorce him. 

If your wife doesn't clean the house because she's tired.  Its not your right to beat her for disobedience.

The problem with your idea of forced morality is that it leaves no place for a woman to exercise her God ordained rights as an individual.  If a woman wants to live alone, have 50 cats and work for herself.  That's her right.  If she wants to marry a man who will let her work outside of the house, then she better put it in the martial contract and be firm with her soon to be husband. 

Forcing young girls only causes them to rebel.  My mother kept me from sleeping around by being open with me.  She never told me no, but she did educate me on all of the consequences.  She set an example and encouraged me to follow it. 

Morality is taught by the mother.  Not the father.  Its not the father who shapes his daughters views of right and wrong.  Its the mother.  The father shapes the girls views of the world.  If he's cruel and unjust, she will thing the world is like that.  If she sees her mother as the victim, she will become one. 

If her mother is immoral, then she won't get morality from her father, no matter how he forces the situation.  There is a reason God gave women the priviledge of childbirth and told men to get out into the fields and work. 

Gender roles are defined for a reason, but neither is superior to the other.  Taking away freedom does not correct morality.  It only harms the people its intended to protect.

(I also have to state, that among our beliefs, the removal of free will is Satan's plan.  You are only rewarded with Heaven if you of your own free will obey God.  Your obedience must be tested.  It cannot be forced.)

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:50am

Forced Morality= No Freedom.

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 11:30am

And also, since she is giving it away without marriage commitment, she's going to give it away after marriage too. It's hard to drop bad habits. Most people can't. You can't trust any woman you met in that way. It's also very dangerous. No man wants to get caught up in divorce proceedings. So, that means: no marriage.

This is not true Crass. Really. People grow up and change.

Plus you make it like woman A is bad. Man is good. Wants no divorce. Come on. You make men sound like pillars of the community.

You cannot lock people away. Eventualyl people must be allowed to make their own decisions as well as their own mistakes.

It is like you are saying men are men and women are wither pure or prostitutes. And really all women should staty away from western men who are not not virgins. Really both should be virgins upon their marraige. If he did it before, he'll do it again.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
crasss View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

But like any pendulum, it will swing back and forth until the middle is found.

There is very little room for experimentation in this field. If one generation fundamentally fails in raising the next one, it is basically game over.

The generalization of family breakdown predicts a near future of runaway crime and prostitution in the West. These problems are bound to go through the roof.

At the same time, the population in the West is aging and increasingly dependent on the next generation, that is relatively small, and that they generally failed to raise. These new generations won't get married and successfully raise a next generation. Forget that.

Retirement benefits, medical costs, welfare: all trends point in the direction of state bankrupcy. It is virtually impossible that this system makes it beyond the year 2050, and chances are that it collapses much sooner than that. Look at these insanely rich countries today. Their pensioners will be begging in the streets tomorrow. The same for the single mothers. When the system is gone, it will be gone forever.

Don't buy into their propaganda and don't let them influence the kids.

I am actually not advocating any fix, or a patch for a fix of a previous fix. Whatever anybody does, it won't make a difference to the mainstream. The inevitable will happen anyway. I think arguing about the merits or lack of merit of the modern approach is a bit pointless. The proof will be in the pudding.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
  Share Topic