IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Middle East
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Afghanistan  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Afghanistan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
b95000 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b95000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2005 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by kim! kim! wrote:

In all honesty, I know you're not all stupid and I know some of your television isn't complete sh*te...but I wish we had more evidence of it over here. I'm so sick of the rubbish we get over here.

Mind you, I'm sick of Australian rubbish, too.

Kim...

"In all honesty, I know you're not all stupid..."
As they say, "Thanks - I think..."
Bruce
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 7:12am

In all honesty, I know you're not all stupid and I know some of your television isn't complete sh*te...but I wish we had more evidence of it over here. I'm so sick of the rubbish we get over here.

Mind you, I'm sick of Australian rubbish, too.

Kim...

b95000 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b95000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 7:07pm

Oh yes, and I'm SO PERFECT.

Sorry dude - if you want the rest of the world to stop thinking that people in your country are so bloody stupid,

B: People don't think that about the US.  Some people may be furious at the US, or vociferously disagree, but most don't think her stupid..that's my horse sense..

Oh. And try to see if these are the sorts of people you can get onto the American television programs that get sent overseas. (Feel free to shoot people like Ricky Lake, if you like, then maybe all the "people" on shows like hers will go back to their trailer homes and STAY there. Never, ever to emerge)

B: Oh, this is your view of the US - the liberal US entertainment industry?  OK, so you're calling the US liberals/entertainers stupid...well, why didn't you clarify?

And maybe try to educate people a bit more - then when we scummy foreignors tell them a bit about history they won't seem quite so amazed and surprised as they usually are...

B: So great Kim, you've got all these "solutions" for educating the imbecilic Americans - how about turning your gaze in another direction and solving problems there, too?  Let's start with Kisumu, Kenya...what would you recommend, oh wise one?

Bruce
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 9:32am
Oh yes, and I'm SO PERFECT.

Sorry dude - if you want the rest of the world to stop thinking that people in your country are so bloody stupid, trying getting the 27 people who vote to vote for a president who has been to other countries APART from Canada and who can locate some other countries without prompting and maybe even speak another language AND demonstrate some education.

Oh. And try to see if these are the sorts of people you can get onto the American television programs that get sent overseas. (Feel free to shoot people like Ricky Lake, if you like, then maybe all the "people" on shows like hers will go back to their trailer homes and STAY there. Never, ever to emerge)

Then maybe we might not have such a weird perspective of your people.

And maybe try to educate people a bit more - then when we scummy foreignors tell them a bit about history they won't seem quite so amazed and surprised as they usually are...

Kim...
b95000 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b95000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 7:49pm

Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Salam All,

One interesting thing is ignorance of the western population about socio-cultural background of area near and around Afghanistan. Among others, a typical way of living style in that region is totally different than they can even imagine it to be. Whatever they know is through what media tell them. Through this source, they often blame Taliban government of supressing the rights of women, but it would be more interesting to know the state of these rights before (through history) and after Taliban (the Karazi government). Do we find any change? If not, then is it legitimate to blame Taliban (may be for many other things, however) for all those social problems that existed before them and continued in their own tenure and is still prevalent in their society. Another interesting evidence to look upon for the social injustices/practices against women is the attached north western area of Pakistan where Taliban never ruled. The state of women in this part of Pakistan is the same (if not worst) than in the most part of Afghanistan. Though, Taliban might have added fuel to the fire, however, their practices were not very unfamiliar to their subjects.

I hope this would provide some alternate view for understanding the situation of Afghanistan and its neigbouring area. 

At least a few of us out here in the wild West are aware of this and we make sure we spread the word to people - that it's not just the Taliban who have been repressing the Afghan women. I explain that women have had to wear burkhas for a LONG time outside of the cities, because the Northern Alliance guys abuse women too. Then I go on to tell them about the invasion of the Russians and how the Taliban were friends of and funded and trained by the US, etc, etc.

It's amazing to see some people's reactions. Specially when you explain it to Americans face to face.

Kim...

You can explain all you want face to face.  These discussions don't lend themselves well to bipolar thinking.  Somehow, you think it is an easy thing to conduct geo-politics? [I'm referring here to the US position in the 80s visa vi the Russian invasion of Afghanistan.]  Or that you have all the answers...oh, yeah, we believe that as our faces drop in stunned amazement of all your perfect knowledge and at our perfect stupidity in comparison..please..
Bruce
JulAsif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulAsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 10:45am
I guess I'm just really not sure what this thread has to do with Sharia.  Unless, of course, you mean that those "muslim" men who RAPED and MURDERED a woman should be executed...yep, I'm right there with you! 
aisha View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 10:24am
um tayyab, i believe what you say go girl!!!!!!!!!sharia is there for a reason.
aisha
JulAsif View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulAsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 1:44pm

To UmTayyab,

I really hope I just misread your post.  It sounded as though you thought AID RELIEF WORKERS got what they deserved by being RAPED and violently MURDERED???  You assume they are "spies and mischief makers", but how do you know they were not simply trying to fullfill their duty to Allah by helping others???  I am absolutely REPULSED that a fellow muslim would feel this way, let alone say it out loud.  I know the feminist movements have gotten way out of hand, but these were AID WORKERS!!  Risking their lives to help provide food, medical care, and other basic necessities which we are OBLIGATED to do as muslims.  How could you be such a cold, heartless woman?  All I can do is HOPE that when you said "women who flaunt the Sharia" that you were speaking generally, and not about these individual women.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic