IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - To Sister Maryah  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Sister Maryah

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Sister Maryah
    Posted: 24 April 2007 at 2:56am

As Salamu Alaikum Sister,

I am quoting this comment you made in another thread: Ban Crass

Some of those that call for unity cause more discord because of their limited knowledge of another culture or misunderstanding of another's cultural values.

I think maybe this comment of yours was directed to me, as I plead with the members of this forum for unity, from time to time, repeatedly.

To me Islam is a way of life based on the Glorious Qur'an and Sunnah of the Last Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam). Islam is a universal religion and not restricted to any one culture or area or group of people.

Please be so kind as to explain this comment how do we sow discord when we quote for the Glorious Qur'an and Sunnah?

Sister even if you were not referring to me by this comment, I would still like to know how those calling for unity are sowing discord. This is a very serious accusation. Cultural values cannot be given priority over Islamic Values.

Jazakallahu Khairan

Wa Alaikum Salam

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2007 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

As Salamu Alaikum Sister,

I am quoting this comment you made in another thread: Ban Crass

Some of those that call for unity cause more discord because of their limited knowledge of another culture or misunderstanding of another's cultural values.

I think maybe this comment of yours was directed to me, as I plead with the members of this forum for unity, from time to time, repeatedly.

To me Islam is a way of life based on the Glorious Qur'an and Sunnah of the Last Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi wa Sallam). Islam is a universal religion and not restricted to any one culture or area or group of people.

Please be so kind as to explain this comment how do we sow discord when we quote for the Glorious Qur'an and Sunnah?

Sister even if you were not referring to me by this comment, I would still like to know how those calling for unity are sowing discord. This is a very serious accusation. Cultural values cannot be given priority over Islamic Values.

Jazakallahu Khairan

Wa Alaikum Salam

Wa alaikum:

I see no accusation in that statement. I was merely stating a fact.

Have you ever lived outside of your home country. Have you ever been to the west? I have been to the east, in fact, I have been around the world. I hold a bachelors of science in nursing, hold a bachelors of arts in education with my major being History and multicultural education. I am working on my Masters. My first dead husband held a doctorate in mideastern anthoropological studies and he was leaning towards starting a second in Islamic studies when he was gunned down in my living room in front of me and my children for being more moderate and a spokesperson for human rights. He was from Liverpool England originally. Now do you know why I was an inactive muslimah for a period of time? I will never, never get that out of my mind and in my worse nightmares I see the dead bloody face of the father of my children. I pray for those living in affected violent parts of the world to never have to see what I have seen.

I see nothing in that thread that we are sowing discord and unity by quoting sunnah and Qur'an, you have me puzzled. I see a reference to cultural differences.

Often, and it is proven academically, the local culture and its values will influence how the local practice of a religion is conducted. it is a fact, nothing more. And if you live in a culture where your religion is not of the majority you have to work harder to keep your true perspective and keep on the right path. When I grew up in an Islamic country I took it for granted: now that I live in a society where it is not dominant I have to work harder and go farther to reach my goal.

We do not all live in an ideal society where the call of the prayer is the dominant sound of the city and everything stops until the prayer is done. I get call horrible names at times because I wear loose clothing and a headscarf: or get simply glared at. Try crossing the us border daily as I do and in a headscarf, you will get detained for 5 hours and interrogated mercilessly. I tried it once and take my scarf off for the 10 minutes it takes me.

So if you felt I was singling you out, I was not. You were NOT of the persons I was referring to and I do agree that we need Unity in the Ummah. Sister, I do not know what it is about me that irritates you but I am outspoken and always will stand for the rights of the oppressed. You have true Islamic knowledge and it is good, but we must always continue to seek knowledge and knowing the values of a muslim that is of a different origin than yourself is a must in the new world. At my mosque, there are 48 different ethnic origins of Muslims out of one thousand families! Can you picture that?

How many different nationalities attend your masjid?

Mods, please move this thread! And we need spellcheck, this college grad cannot spell

Edited by Maryah
"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2007 at 8:39am

As Salamu Alaikum

Jazakallahu Khairan for sharing with me about your background and qualifications and the hardship you endure for the sake of Allah and Islam.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala reward you with abundance for your efforts. Ameen!

Me, I am, a simple housewife who has lived in many countries and cultures, so I am not ignorant about the different cultures nor about the hardships Muslimah face from time to time, I have faced many difficulties myself.

Sister there is nothing about you that irritates me, I am just as outspoken as you are, despite my lack of academic qualifications. On the contrary, I felt that you have something against me.

Put yourself in my shoes. In the pass few weeks, I having being calling for Unity in various threads, I quote mainly from the Glorious Qur'an and Sunnah when I am making a point. I responded to your thread, in which you said you were leaving with an apology; then someone comes along about East and West. And I responded with something regarding Unity��..what happens next I see a post by you with this statement.

Some of those that call for unity - I have being doing that repeatedly � calling for unity

cause more discord because of their limited knowledge of another culture or misunderstanding of another's cultural values.-  I say O boy, that�s me she is referring too . I failed to understand how, because I normally quote from authentic sources � and Islamic values overrule all cultural values.

I thought that despite my apology to you, you are accusing me of causing discord in the disguise of calling for Unity. I don�t get a chance to read much, so I am not aware of the others who are also calling for unity. But now you have made it clear that it was not ME you were referring to. Alhamdulillah! May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala forgive me for my misunderstanding.  Ameen!

You know sister this is a public forum. We all make compromises from time to time but we cannot let our personal views and experiences overrule our judgment on matters regarding our Deen. Please don�t misunderstand what I am saying. I am not very active on the boards, as most of the members know, and I only step in and correct brothers and sisters when I realize that by their article they are actually harming themselves, without realizing it, not the person to whom they are referring to or to correct a misconception by quoting from the Glorious Qur'an and Sunnah.

May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala remove any misunderstanding we have and replace it with love for HIS SAKE. Ameen!

Wa Alaikum Salam

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic