IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Brother Waleed  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brother Waleed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brother Waleed
    Posted: 18 April 2007 at 3:12pm

http://www.msavt.org/main/default.asp

For Immediate Release

Brother Waleed Shaalan, a victim of the Virginia tech shootings.

Waleed Shaalan, 32 years old, first stepped onto the Virginia Tech campus in August 2006. An international student originally from Zagazig, Egypt, with no family members in the United States, Waleed quickly became an essential member of the Blacksburg Muslim community. Among those mourning his death are his two roommates (Fahad Pasha and Irfan Waseem) to whom Waleed was their loving older brother, cook, academic and spiritual mentor.

Waleed initially began his PhD program in Egypt, but when Virginia Tech offered him an assistantship position, he chose to leave his original degree path and continue it in Blacksburg. Following in the footsteps of his father, Waleed was a dedicated and passionate student of Civil Engineering. Though he had a hectic schedule, juggling classes, PhD research and TA responsibilities, he always made time for the people around him. Waleed was known for his broad smile and wave that he gave everyone.

"He was the simplest and nicest guy I ever knew.We would be studying for our exams and he would go buy a cake and make tea for us," said Fahad, Waleed's roommate. Fahad was the last person to have spoken to Waleed, he remarked "He was studying late for an exam the morning of the incident; it was about 4 am when I last saw and spoke to him. We were talking about how amazing it would be once he brought his wife and son to Tech after the summer. I could never have imagined that in 5 hours he�d be gone forever."

Waleed left behind Amira, his wife for 3 years, and Khaled his one-year old son.

As we express our grief and sympathy for the families of all those directly affected by this senseless tragedy, we honor them through memory and reflection; and Waleed will always be smiling in our hearts.

MSA Official Statement about the VT Massacre

Monday, April 16, 2007. Peace to all. The Muslim Students Association, along with the wider campus of Virginia Tech, extends its deepest sympathies and condolences to the families of those victims affected by today's events. We are shocked at this senseless loss of life and we feel the pain and outrage of the student body. We open our hearts and ears to anyone wishing counsel or comfort and pray that our collective pain will be eased through patience and sharing. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) tells us, "Patience comes only at the first moment of grief." The Hokie family is in our prayers.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 3:27pm
Bismillah and Salaams,

The blue material is from a member of the MSA at VT.

Assalamu alaikum everyone,

I would like to share with you some additional information that I received from a colleague in the CEE Dept. This colleague of mine is the supervisor of a graduate student who was with Waleed in the class and survived the massacre. I should mention that the description is graphical so I apologize in advance.

The student mentions that Waleed saved his life and wants to convey this to Waleed's family. Apparently, the murderer came into Norris 206 and shot Dr. Loganathan and a number of students injuring Waleed. Waleed was sitting in the front row where he always sat. Everyone jumped to the floor after hearing the gun shots including the person narrating the story. The murderer then left Norris 206 to go to another classroom.

The student that narrates the story was not shot but pretended to be dead and lay on the ground beside Waleed who at that time was only injured. The muderer then re-entered the classroom and was checking for alive victims. He had approached the person narrating the story who mentions that his heart was pounding out of fear. Waleed at that instant made a movement to distract the murderer's attention and was shot for the second time. At that time Waleed died and the murderer left the narrator to search for other victims.

Ina Lillahi wa ina Ilayhi rajeoon. We ask Allah to forgive Waleed all his sins and grant him paradise.

Wassalam,

Hesham.
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 3:34am
Assalam Alykum wa Rahmat Allah  wa Barakatuh
I was just informed by brother Ahmed Kamal-Jazah Allah khair- that brother Waleed was buried in Zagazig(his home town)
and that everything went smoothly.

May Allah have mercy on his soul

Fee Aman Allah
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
Mazen Arafeh, Doctor of Engineering
Senior Research Associate, Center for Sustainable Mobility - VTTI

3500 Transportation Research Plaza (0536)
Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 3:35am

�����, ����� 21, 2007

���� �����: ��� ����� �� ����� �������

�� �� ���� ������ ������� ���� ��� �������� ��������� �� �������. ��� �� �� ����� �������� �� ���� ����� �� ������ ����� �� �������� ������� �� ��� ������� � ��� ���� � ���� ������ ��� ������� ������ �� ��������� �� �������. � ������ ��� ��� ������ ����� ���� ���� ���� ���� �� ���� �� ���� ����� � ����� ��� ������ ������

Assalamu alaikum everyone,

I would like to share with you some additional information that I received from a colleague in the CEE Dept. This colleague of mine is the supervisor of a graduate student who was with Waleed in the class and survived the massacre. I should mention that the description is graphical so I apologize in advance.

The student mentions that Waleed saved his life and wants to convey this to Waleed's family. Apparently, the murderer came into Norris 206 and shot Dr. Loganathan and a number of students injuring Waleed. Waleed was sitting in the front row where he always sat. Everyone jumped to the floor after hearing the gun shots including the person narrating the story. The murderer then left Norris 206 to go to another classroom. The student that narrates the story was not shot but pretended to be dead and lay on the ground beside Waleed who at that time was only injured. The muderer then re-entered the classroom and was checking for alive victims. He had approached the person narrating the story who mentions that his heart was pounding out of fear. Waleed at that instant made a movement to distract the murderer's attention and was shot for the second time. At that time Waleed died and the murderer left the narrator to search for other victims. Ina Lillahi wa ina Ilayhi rajeoon. We ask Allah to forgive Waleed all his sins and grant him paradise.

Wassalam,

mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2007 at 3:06pm

Asalaamu alaikum:

Ina Lillahi wa ina Ilayhi rajeoon:

Below is some information on helping his widow and child.

What a beautiful wedding picture.

The article is from a post in the yahoo group Islamicminds.

DONATE TO SUPPORT DECEASED VA TECH MSA STUDENT'S FAMILY
http://www.msanatio nal.org/finance/ vt07donate. html

Waleed Shaalan, 32 years old, first stepped onto the Virginia Tech campus in
August 2006. An international student originally from Zagazig, Egypt, with
no family members in the United States, Waleed quickly became an essential
member of the Blacksburg Muslim community. Among those mourning his death
are his two roommates (Fahad Pasha and Irfan Waseem) to whom Waleed was
their loving older brother, cook, academic and spiritual mentor. Waleed was
known for his broad smile and wave that he gave everyone.

Waleed left behind Amira, his wife for 3 years, and Khaled his one-year old
son. For more information about Br. Waleed or the Virginia Tech MSA please
visit www.msavt.org.

Br. Waleed Shaalan passed away during the Virginia Tech tragedy on April 16,
2007. MSA National will be collecting donations to support Br. Waleed
Shaalan's family.

Our goal is to raise $25,000 over the next four weeks. We are confident that
with the grace of God and your help we will be able to achieve this goal.

To make a donation, please fill out the form below. Payment information will
be on the following page. If you are having trouble donating please e-mail
treasurer@msanation al.org and include the amount you'd like to donate.

You can also mail your check to the following address:

MSA of the US and Canada
P.O. Box 1096
Falls Church, VA 22041

Checks should be made payable to MSA of the US and Canada; please write
"Br. Waleed Memorial Fund" in the memo.

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
Abu Mujahid View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Mujahid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 8:21am

\may Allah shower His mercy on him. I wish he prentended dead to safe his body for real muslim battle. Forum moderates should remove wedding picture. inna lillah wainna ilaihi rajion

Abu mujahid

Islam need true muslims
Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 2:14pm
Abu Mujahid, your sentiments are profoundly distasteful, wishing this
young person had not committed the bravest and most generous of all
actions by saving another person's life.

You may be a Muslem, but you are a callous human being.

Sister Herjihad, thank you for this very moving thread. I am struck dumb
by these events.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 5:28pm

Originally posted by Duende Duende wrote:

Abu Mujahid, your sentiments are profoundly distasteful, wishing this
young person had not committed the bravest and most generous of all
actions by saving another person's life.

You may be a Muslem, but you are a callous human being.

Sister Herjihad, thank you for this very moving thread. I am struck dumb
by these events.

Yes, Duende, you are correct.  There is a Bible verse very befitting this brave and heroic act which Brother Waleed performed, "greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend."  John 15:13

I cannot discuss the events at VTech...they are too much to grasp.

God help us all.

Edited by Patty
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic