IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - wedding ring.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wedding ring.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C6H12O6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wedding ring.
    Posted: 17 April 2007 at 4:49am
I am trying to figure this out and looking for the answer. As I was driving to work this morning i hear on the radio that how the first dimond was given as a wedding/engagement. it seemed more of a christian thing. But now coming in to 21th century, it seems like all muslims are giving a wedding dimond ring one trying to out do the other. I need clarification to what the requirement is and what is acceptable and what isn't. thank you for taking the time to read this thread and helping me reach my answer....
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 5:46am

You could do a bit of research over the internet about the history of the diamond ring

What did they say on the radio about the first diamond ring given as a wedding/engagment.  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
C6H12O6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C6H12O6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 7:10am

A Victorian tradition was the Regards ring, in which the initials of the precious gems used spelled out the word 'regards'. Another Victorian tradition was the DEAREST Ring, which spelt the word Dearest using the first letter of every jewel.

The first recorded diamond engagement ring was presented by the Archduke Maximillian of Austria to Mary of Burgundy as a betrothal gift in 1477. However, the diamond engagement ring did not become the standard it is considered today until after an extensive marketing campaign by De Beers in the middle of the 20th century, which came to include one of the most famous advertising slogans of the 20th century �A Diamond is Forever�.

In the early 20th century, the United States jewelry industry attempted to start a trend of male engagement rings; going so far as to create a supposed "historical precedent" dating back to medieval times. The attempt failed, although the industry applied lessons learned from this venture in its more successful bid to encourage use of male wedding rings

and that is exactly what they said it was started by Archduke Maximillian of Austria and also mention it's a victorian tradition a regard ring. -------------> to me this all shows pointing to the christian tradition. I want to know Islamic side of it. Hence, I asked.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 7:40am

Originally posted by C6H12O6 C6H12O6 wrote:

the DEAREST Ring, which spelt the word Dearest using the first letter of every jewel.

lets see; Diamond, Emerald, Amethest, Ruby, E_____?, S______?, Topaz

Quote to me this all shows pointing to the christian tradition. I want to know Islamic side of it. Hence, I asked.

I see.

good info thou

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 4:11am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaykum

In islam husband's gift to wife is mahr according to his status. Now if you want to give her diamond ring just to follow a tradition and what people will say then i personally dont think it is a good reason. On the other hand if you are thinking about it because you think it is going to make your wife happy then it is a beautifull thought but i think she might be happier receiving ticket for hajj.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Abu Mujahid View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Mujahid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 7:58am
Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaykum

In islam husband's gift to wife is mahr according to his status. Now if you want to give her diamond ring just to follow a tradition and what people will say then i personally dont think it is a good reason. On the other hand if you are thinking about it because you think it is going to make your wife happy then it is a beautifull thought but i think she might be happier receiving ticket for hajj.

wassalam

I couldn't said better. Islam asks man to give women mahr or dowry that could be from one dollar to billion dollar and that for her forever but not ring. Ring as other brother put it is Chrisitian tradition that degraded women over course of centuries until Hollywood came to put it the last nail.

Women has its position/role in Islam but puting bounty on her fingers not protecting her dignity/body is killing her femininhood. That is why many marriage fail today due to ring size, shape, color or cost.

Abu Mujahid 

Islam need true muslims
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 10:58am

I like my simple gold band.  I didn't get a diamond (I'm Christian) until Christmas one year.

Its nice to have the ring as a symbol of our marriage.  Its also a good way to say, "Hey, I'm taken, don't bother me."

Now, for Muslimah's they shouldn't have to worry about that second part as much.  But, its a way for a guy to know a woman is spoken for (even the current tradition of the diamond) and a way for the woman to show off a bit.

We Christian women don't get a mahr.  The tradition is for the ring to be worth 2 months salary.  Its a sign of how well he can provide for you.  Because we don't get a dowry, this is an indication from our men of how committed he is to the marriage.  And the ring goes with us, its ours.  I laugh when I hear of women giving back their diamonds after a divorce.  Now in cases where the marriage never happened, you're supposed to give it back.  So, you can look at the ring as our version of mahr.  Its not as nice as having your husband set up a fallback for you.  But, its something.

However, like all things in the 21st century, its over commercialized and men are pressured to buy rings that are bigger and fancier.  I have a .40 carat round solitaire.  Its very simple, not showy and not expensive.  It really reflects me as a person.  My husband knows that for something special, I prefer pearls and opals. 

I think for a Muslim woman, she should follow her own traditions when it comes to rings and jewelry.  Modesty and Chastity are key in both my church and in Islam.  Its not the ring, its not the wedding, in the end, its the commitment of two people who have agreed to live as God commanded in marriage and to share in that sanctified union.  I think people should focus more on bringing their spouses joy.  This sometimes just amounts to being as much a friend as a spouse. 

Rings.....they tarnish, get bent, lose their gems and get lost. 

Marriage is far more.

Aminah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 3:59pm

WAS,

I don't think it matters either way since most new brides get so much jewlery anyway's.

question about weddings?-sorry to take up this paragraph with slightly off the topic but can someone please help explain the following: the issue that troubles me is why do muslims choose to have western weddings in big halls with mixing and why do the brides wear western wedding dresses and have their hair done and visible without hijab. the last thing why have a belly dancer and western music to dancing. i've seen many video taped weddings of friends and was so surprised everyone was at banquet tables men and women together eating and dancing on the dance floor i thought that mixing wasn't allowed? maybe i'm wrong? but it seems to be weddings are turning into theatre productions more and more than where the focus should be.

anyway's my husband gave me a diamond ring with a plain band not because it was tradition but because we shopped at a second hand vintage store and the set was very inexpensive and in our budget.

Aminah

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic