IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New, trying to be open minded  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New, trying to be open minded

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enjoyinglife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New, trying to be open minded
    Posted: 01 April 2007 at 11:03pm
Hi

I am not sure how best to word what I want to say. I have been lurking
around this website for some time trying to gain a better understanding
of Islam, and trying to be open minded about it. I also lurk on other sites
and read a lot of books, however I do not watch much tv. Where I live in
the US there continues to be an increasing suspicion of muslims even
after so much time has passed since 9/11 and I question is that right or
wrong. Is there a need to fear people of this religion? I still don't know.
Certainly there are some sick people out there doing things in the name
of their religion that are just beyond my comprehension.

I am not religious myself though I do believe in God. I do not trust most
religions in general. They seem to be to self righteous I guess. To many
imply one must believe a certain way or you are dammed. That belief
system does not work for me.

One thing that does disturb me a great deal about this forum and other
muslim forums is the constant verbal attack on the US from those living
in the US. That is however one of the great things about living here,
freedom of speech, and religion. It really does make me wonder if in
some far off future (hopefully) those who practice Islam would try to
change that.

Edited by enjoyinglife
Neima Abduljeli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neima Abduljeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 7:02am

Peace and blessings of Allah be up on all of us.

Welcome to our forum.  I sm also new here too.

Are you surprised to see, how America is viewed by others.  It is not only Muslims who hate America.  Just go to your neighboring countries, the Latino Americans. Out of how many, how many like Americans.  Specially the ones who have NATURAL RESOURCES.  This is also true to Muslim countries.  Most of the Muslim countries by default have natural resources that are exploited by their puppet governments and the America and other  tycoons of the West. The difference is America boldly safeguards its interest using Military power.  Do you like it if some one goes to your country and drops Bombs continuously?  Even you didn�t forget September 11. 

If America wanted to have smooth relationship with the world (not only the Muslim world), at least lets have a win -win situation in our trades and let America not support the ones who are oppressing their people.  (If it is not for some economists theory that the strong will survive if he becomes stronger and there must be some kind of mechanism like war to change the increase in the number of population.

At least you must admire the gut of the muslims.  They speak their minds, since they know that the only protector is Allah and there is no way back from this even if you are in Guantanamo.  From humanity point of view, do you think America is right in imprisoning people in that place?  I saw one film about it and my heart bleeds when I think about it.

About the freedom of speech, don�t you think that some times freedom of speech is exploiting the minds of people.  You say things for which you don�t have power to change. So what? But for the ones who have power, it makes sense to listen to what we say.

Any ways, All Americans must not be hated.  For that matter, they must not be questioned for what some of the American powerful people did, for which they don�t have power to change.  As Muslims are portrayed as bad ones and misunderstood by the west, the American citizens (not the government), are also added to the enemy of Muslims.  Enjoying life,  try to promote harmonious relationship with the Muslim world and create a win-win situation.  I will be one to help you in this regard if  I see any positive highlights that America did to the Muslim world.  I observed lots of bombings only.  Generally speaking, I don�t involve my self in politics since I see lots of injustices which my mind can�t handle it and my heart cannot bear it.  I pray to the world to be a safest place.

About you religions God created you to be in a certain way, so he wanted you to worship hip in a certain way.  You don�t crawl while you can walk.Wink

Just pray to God to show you the right path.

enjoyinglife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enjoyinglife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 8:14pm

Neima Abduljeli

"Are you surprised to see, how America is viewed by others.  It is not only Muslims who hate America.  Just go to your neighboring countries, the Latino Americans."

No, I am not surprised.  However concerning the Latino countries, if the people there hate the US so much why do so many come here looking for a better life?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neima Abduljeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 2:20am

Peace and blessings of Allah be up on all of us.

Better life? Even the Muslims wanted to go to America to have better life. I think you didn't understand what I mean.  I am not saying that you are not going to America to get a better life.  Working towards a better life is one thing showing your emotional feelings is another.  I thought your concern is about the ones who are living in US not the ones who are outside.  Yes they go there for the betterment of their life.  But they don�t want the harassment of the legal system. On Top of it they may be disgusted by what America is doing in foreign lands.

You know, why don�t we have a life which is smoother and create harmony with our fellow human beings at all.  I just wanted to show you the logic why there is hatred. I am not pro military struggle.  For me I don�t agree using military force as a resolution to my differences or as a mechanism to maintain my right.  I don�t agree with any one in this world who justifies killing the innocent and civilians for the protection of its sovereignty or its religion.  But you can�t prevent America or the ones who use Islam to fulfill their needs. 

I also don�t watch TV. But I browse MSN or Yahoo for world news and there are lots war stories because of American Foreign policy.  Just try to lobby to have harmony with the world including us who are the common folks who doesn�t change the history of the world.

We-selasm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enjoyinglife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 8:20am
What harassment of the legal system?

"On Top of it they may be disgusted by what America is doing in foreign
lands."

Concerning the nation you are from -

Total U.S. government assistance, including food aid, between 1991 and
2003 was $2.3 billion. During the severe drought year of FY 2003, the
U.S. provided a record $553.1 million in assistance, of which $471.7
million was food aid. - US Statedepartment

What things cause the disgustement? Is this one of them? Would the word
be a better place if the US isolated itself and did not involve itself in
foriegn matters? Would that bring peace?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neima Abduljeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 8:27am

Peace and blessing of Allah be up on all of us.

No, not at all.  But� as America has a mighty power, it can change governments and promote democracy with small risks.  Rather than dropping bombs on civilians, it can work towards the weakening of the ones who are responsible like banning their movement, forcing them come towards discussion on the changes they must make which must consider the socio-cultural settings of each country. (For we Muslims we don�t want American Democracy which can be overruled by the Veto of the majority.  We must also consider the minority. We don�t want to bring our Islamic Values to the table for compromise). Why not capacitate UN ?

Let me change the word disgusted in to sickened.  Can that change the sense a little bit?  Thank you for the statistics.  In its long history one of the highlights that America did, is dealing with the poor countries in relief aids.  As my country is very, very poor, it is one of the major recipients of food aids.  (Consumption not capital aid).  You see in my country most of the people started respecting and accepting China than the Americans though China constructs roads after entering in to tender biddings.  I mean they do it to maximize their profit.  But the people are seeing the tangible effects of their presence in our country.

Let me tell you one thing, you are good in picking the negative words of my statement.  One other thing, we started discussing about the ones who are living in US. Now you included my contry in the discussion. Big smile

We-Selam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enjoyinglife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 10:07am
If I come across as picking out your negative words it is because I feel
defensive. It is my home and I do support it, rather I agree or not with all
the policies or how a particular administration conducts things. There is
no lack of debate in the US on these things.

It is not hard for me to feel this way when I come to sites like this and see
all the negative discussion about the US, not to mention the conspiracy
theories that for the most part give way to much credit to us. A president
cannot even hide an affair let alone come up with and implement some
the things I have read on this site!

But some of your comments are off base, such as the one concerning the
Latinos fearing harassment in the US. It is a large country and attitudes
vary by region and even in many areas they are the majority, In my own
community there is a large population of Hispanic people but I have not
seen or heard of any unfair harassment from the law. However from both
sides individuals may make degrading / discriminating comments about
others. Even within the hispanic population itself you have Mexican, Peru,
etc. and the same prejudice stuff going on. But not living here what you
see or read is mostly about how hard the US policy is on immigration but
living here in such a mixed culture is something else.

Edited by enjoyinglife
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 1:18pm

Originally posted by enjoyinglife enjoyinglife wrote:

Hi

I am not sure how best to word what I want to say. I have been lurking
around this website for some time trying to gain a better understanding
of Islam, and trying to be open minded about it. I also lurk on other sites
and read a lot of books, however I do not watch much tv. Where I live in
the US there continues to be an increasing suspicion of muslims even
after so much time has passed since 9/11 and I question is that right or
wrong. Is there a need to fear people of this religion? I still don't know.
Certainly there are some sick people out there doing things in the name
of their religion that are just beyond my comprehension.

I am not religious myself though I do believe in God. I do not trust most
religions in general. They seem to be to self righteous I guess. To many
imply one must believe a certain way or you are dammed. That belief
system does not work for me.

One thing that does disturb me a great deal about this forum and other
muslim forums is the constant verbal attack on the US from those living
in the US. That is however one of the great things about living here,
freedom of speech, and religion. It really does make me wonder if in
some far off future (hopefully) those who practice Islam would try to
change that.

May Allah (the One Eternal God) bless you,

There are so many things to understand that we were not taught here in the US in school, and I speak as an American, born and raised here.  You have set out on a long, long journey.  Seeking knowledge will take all of our lives.  Understanding takes just as long.  Epiphanies will come and go, but the endeavor is worth it.

I grew up believing flag waving stuff and lots of political lies.  Now I have learned a lot more by constantly listening to what people say and analyzing the rhetoric of policticians for what it is, just fancy talk to convince us of something.  We have to look deep and hard and then keep stepping back to take another look again.

We will never figure it all out, but we can get closer to the truth of things and the facts of things by not being lazy and looking more and more.

Why, I had never heard of Balochistand until I came to this website.  It's a very pivotal place in the world!  Gas, oil, gold, chocolate, diamonds and more, all have blood on them from the quest to be wealthy by the elitists of this world.  Follow the natural resources and the need for them and the acquisition of them, and you will find out a lot about the world today.  I'm still trying but very very busy with other things like work and family.

Muslims are just as judgmental as the next religion.  Big difference however, is that when I read the Holy Quran, it says that Christians, Jews and Sabeans -- and that's another story, can all go to heaven.  that's a big difference, and one of the reasons I became Muslim.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic