IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - It’s gay rights laws that are intolerant,  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIt�s gay rights laws that are intolerant,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Topic: It�s gay rights laws that are intolerant,
    Posted: 30 March 2007 at 4:14pm

It's gay rights laws that are intolerant, says Cardinal

UK Daily Mail | March 29, 2007
STEVE DOUGHTY

Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor accused Labour of "legislating for intolerance" in his most outspoken attack yet on the imposition of gay rights laws on church bodies.

The leader of England and Wales's four million Roman Catholics also questioned "whether the threads holding together democracy have begun to unravel".

The lecture delivered in Westminster made him the first Catholic leader in nearly 180 years to place a question mark over the allegiance of his church to the British state.

He has already threatened to close nine Catholic adoption agencies if they are forced by the Sexual Orientation Regulations to place children with homosexual couples.

He declared: "For my own part, I have no difficulty in being a proud British Catholic citizen.

"But now it seems to me we are being asked to accept a different version of our democracy, one in which diversity and equality are held to be at odds with religion.

"We Catholics - and here I am sure I speak too for other Christians and all people of faith - do not demand special privileges, but we do demand our rights."

The Sexual Orientation Regulations come into force next month after minimal debate in the House of Commons.

They are aimed at stopping businesses discriminating against gays, but Christian leaders say they will force those of faith to act against their conscience.

Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor said last night: "My fear is that, under the guise of legislating for what is said to be tolerance, we are legislating for intolerance. Once this begins, it is hard to see where it ends.

"My fear is that in an attempt to clear the public square of what are seen as unacceptable intrusions, we weaken the pillars on which that public square is erected, and we will discover that the pillars of pluralism may not survive.

"The question," the Cardinal added, "is whether the threads holding together pluralist democracy have begun to unravel. That is why I have sounded this note of alarm.

"I am conscious that when an essential core of our democratic freedom risks being undermined, subsequent generations will hold to account those who were able to raise their voices yet stayed silent."

He also fueled speculation that Catholics may order their adoption agencies to break away from links with the state - and forgo their �10 million a year of taxpayers' funds in favour of relying on donations.

The Cardinal said: "I wonder how far we can still claim as British the assumption that if a religious organisation serves the public interest according to its own rights, it has a legitimate claim on public resources.

"I begin to wonder whether Britain will continue to be a place which protects and welcomes the works of people shaped and inspired by the church." The Cardinal said he feared intolerance of Christianity "so when Christians stand by their beliefs, they are intolerant dogmatists. When they sin, they are hypocrites.

"When they take the side of the poor, they are soft-headed liberals. When they seek to defend the family, they are Rightwing reactionaries."

He added: "What looks like liberality is in reality a radical exclusion of religion from the public sphere."

Catholic leaders have made a powerful point of their loyalty to the British state since full civil rights were granted to Roman Catholics by the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829.

The Cardinal described the Act as a historic turning point.

The speech is likely to make uncomfortable reading for Tony Blair - he is expected to convert to Roman Catholicism after he leaves Downing Street later this year - and for Communities Secretary Ruth Kelly, a staunch Catholic responsible for pushing through the Sexual Orientation Regulations.

.:: SoHaIB ::. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2007 at 5:49pm

I didn't even know what the meaning of the word gay was until i came to CA .... Imagine my uncle telling me 

UNC : " Son there is something u should know "

Me : " O yeah ? "

UNC : " See my good boy, in this country men can marry men "

Me : " ...... "

Sawtul Khilafah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2007 at 3:16am
Originally posted by .:: SoHaIB ::. .:: SoHaIB ::. wrote:

I didn't even know what the meaning of the word gay was until i came to CA .... Imagine my uncle telling me 

UNC : " Son there is something u should know "

Me : " O yeah ? "

UNC : " See my good boy, in this country men can marry men "

Me : " ...... "

UNC: "And if something happens to your parents, they can adopt you and raise you as their own!"

Edited by Sawtul Khilafah
ops154 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2007 at 7:07am
Everyone run the gays are coming and they will take away your democracy and freedom. It has to be the end of the world when churches are forced to accept all members of a community when they receive tax dollars from all of them. Do religious people realize that gays pay taxes so if the church is getting tax payer money they should have to conform to the legal standards and accept all people. I just find it really hard that Jesus would say to someone "no I will not help you because you are gay" I thought Jesus died for all of our sins?
Get it through your heads that I don't support Bush or the Israeli's! Thank your lucky stars for America is here to stay!!!
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2007 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Sawtul Khilafah Sawtul Khilafah wrote:

UNC: "And if something happens to your parents, they can adopt you and raise you as their own!"

What is that supposed to mean ????
Sawtul Khilafah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2007 at 8:58am

Didnt you read the article ? It says Gays can adopt children even if the children are Catholic (religious, includes Muslims) and even if they are being kept in adoption agencies belonging to people of faith.

So if a childs parents die or are arrested or are found "unfit" to raise their children, then the children are going to adoption agencies.

And then if gays or bisexuals want to adopt the child and raise him/her as their own, they can! and it's illegal even for religious adoption agencies to not allow them to take a child!!!

ops154 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2007 at 10:02am

Didnt you read the article ? It says Gays can adopt children even if the children are Catholic (religious, includes Muslims) and even if they are being kept in adoption agencies belonging to people of faith.

So if a childs parents die or are arrested or are found "unfit" to raise their children, then the children are going to adoption agencies.

And then if gays or bisexuals want to adopt the child and raise him/her as their own, they can! and it's illegal even for religious adoption agencies to not allow them to take a child!!!

Do you agree that if certain religions like to discriminate, isolate and judge (don't know ANY religions where that is allowed) other people then they don't have a right to the funds that were put there by the people they are discriminating against? All that this is saying is if you don't conform then you won't have access to public funds but the churches or what not still have the right to be bigots, just not publicly funded bigots.

Get it through your heads that I don't support Bush or the Israeli's! Thank your lucky stars for America is here to stay!!!
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2007 at 10:21am

Still i don't know what does it have to do with my comment...

Listen first leave my parents ( may ALLAH ( SWT ) bless them ) out of this

>>> If this was meant as just a comment imsorry i don't know what reference it had to my post

>>> If this was meant as a snide remark.... well u need to work on those a bit ( no offence )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic