IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Being a woman and a mother ...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Being a woman and a mother ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmTaaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Being a woman and a mother ...
    Posted: 28 March 2007 at 11:37pm

I am a woman who writes and reads, who was educated to compete and be successful - academically, financially and politically - in the world. And I am also a woman who has chosen to have children and look after those children, not pass them on to a full-time nanny or institution but be the one who's elected herself to open up the homework bag, arrange for the little friends to come to tea. To kiss the bruised knee at the moment when the knee is bruised - this has been my choice.

The world for which I was educated, therefore, at this time of my life, I can no longer say is my world.

"You're wondering if I'm lonely," wrote Adrienne Rich in that beautiful collection of poems of hers, Diving into the Wreck, "OK then, yes, I'm lonely," and for sure this choice of mine has put me somewhere else that's far away from the competitive bustle of profession and career, where men and women compete for advantage ... I am not present there. I have made the active choice to "disappear", if you like, in this way. I no longer make money as I used to, have power that way."

I see now that I, too, have been consumed by my bearing, my giving birth to, nursing and caring for my two children. To hold them, for as long as I can, always to hold them: this has been my choice. To feel myself break with tiredness at their needs and still want to crawl into bed beside them and feel my own breath at the soft base of their necks ... This my desire, my burn.

Yet it seems pretending is what we who are so burned are supposed to do. As someone I'll call Will A put it recently, so gently and cleverly, as we were sitting next to each other at a publishing dinner talking of these things, "You women," he said, "you mothers, when you come here, like tonight, when you enter the world to come to one of our meetings, or to a lunch, whatever ... You look wonderful, you talk, you've done your hair, you've got shoes on ... And all I can think is: you've just left your house behind you with your children in it and that must be like you've left somewhere ... that's like a war zone, somewhere I can't even imagine ... " And this is it entirely. For the world of home, of children, the world I've chosen, is this kind of other fenced-off land, a zone. When you're in it, it surrounds you. And as you walk away you hear its crashes and cries and tumbling down of walls - "Mummy! Come here!" - long after you've turned the corner of your street.

I may be tying back my hair as I go to the car, looking for change in a nice little bag for the bus, but in my head I'm still back there among the wild grab of legs and arms around my legs, the spilt food, the tears, the complaints, fights, desperate kisses. It takes me a while, really, to try to disentangle.

I wonder now if I ever will. For something occurred with the bringing of my daughters into the world, and it fixed for me the night of my 44th birthday. I don't want to pretend, act like it's easy to do this, have at once the professional public world and the other intensely private at-home one. As I said the night of my 44th birthday, I don't want to complete a novel, "get back to the big book". I don't want to be part of something on that scale right now that would require me to function in ways that were in accordance with the expectations that that choice would bring. Instead, I want to respond to the world as it has become for me - a smaller world, perhaps, domestic, day-to-day, but vivid to my mind with possibilities and with chance, with changes and new ways of seeing, passion of a wild and delicate kind ...

This is my world.

I saw my face reflected in the mirror that night of my birthday and saw a woman who, as she sorted out the french fries and was not a lead columnist for the London Review of Books, as she wiped spinach off a shoe and did not make a viable income, had everything she wanted. Though in the world for which she'd been educated, this woman was nowhere, was invisible, almost, not even close to approaching the doorway through which she could re-enter the place she'd left. "You're wondering if I'm lonely ... " Still, she has everything.

Everything.

Kirsty Gunn is not working on her next novel. She is not a columnist for the London Review of Books. She has chosen instead to disappear from the professional world and embrace a domestic life just as rich and interesting and inspiring ...

Saturday February 24, 2007
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/family/sto...ticle_continue

Adab with Allah is the proper fruit of obedience - Habib Ali Jifri
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2007 at 2:13am

As Salamu Alaikum

Jazakallahu Khairan for sharing this with us.

Very Inspirational.

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2007 at 7:24am

I would love to be able to just stay home with my 2 small children and be just mama. I would leave my professional job in a heart beat and never look back and never regret it, in just one heart beat. I envy women who just get to be mama. Unfortunately, I do not even get the choice. I support my whole family with my job. Everything comes from my job, the insurance, food, bills....everything.

My mother recently asked me if I would give up my whole education, studying abroad and my career just to stay home with my kids. I said in one heart beat. My sister watches my children so I can support my family. I would soooo give all of it up just to be mama.

Lameese

Edited by Lameese
hakeema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hakeema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2007 at 9:38am

As-Salaam Alaikum,

To All working mothers and Lameese,

How does working outside of the home stop you from being a mother?  I am just curious to know.   

Hakeema

Edited by hakeema
Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2007 at 2:45pm

It does not stop me from being a mother. It stops me from getting to do the majority of raising my children. I get to see them for 3 hours a night before they go to bed and am gone before they get out of bed. I work 12 hour shifts. So, again, I would give up my career just to be mom 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Lameese

hakeema View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hakeema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2007 at 10:11pm

As-Salaam Alaikum

Thanks for replying.  Is there anyway you can cut back on your work hours, then that way you can spend more time with your children.  It won't be 24/7.  But, at least you get to spend more time with them.  Ask Allah to help you manifest that.  I am not a mother, yet.  But I do remember being a child.  Yes, my mother worked outside the home but she made time for me.  That is what I remember most.  That is why I ask the question I asked.  I am also a daycare baby.  I loved daycare more than going home because at home I had to do homework, do house chores, and no television through the week.  Of course, I didn't like at all.  At daycare I played all day and ate cookies.

Hakeema

Sadija View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sadija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2007 at 4:33am

Salaam

Wonderful posts.

I am also a full time mother with 1 baby.

I had him for 7 months with me at work (it was very very hard)

I neglected my work so much that I had to put him in a daycare otherwise I would have been fired by now.

Now its more relaxing for me but I wish myself i could be at home with my baby.

My work also supports my family. And without my income it will be very hard.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing , you will be successfull
Lameese View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lameese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2007 at 8:14am

No, there is no way for me to cut back. I do not just help with the bills, I support my whole family, no one else, just me. My husband works 2 days a week and earns enough to pay for his car payments and goes to school full time. I am the ONLY one that carries this family and I have to work full time to make enough to pay all the bills and groceries, everything, I have to work full time too for the full time insurance. I just had to have surgery and if I did not have full time insurance I would have to pay for about 50% - 60% of it. So, right now I do not get a choice about anything. But when my husband graduates and starts his profession I will be able to go part time or a day a week, but this will not be for another 5 years.

Lameese

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic