IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sr. replies preferred  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sr. replies preferred

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sr. replies preferred
    Posted: 26 March 2007 at 6:13am

ASA,

i had a situation and i guess brs. can respond too but i would prefer srs most.

let me explain we have social friends really we only see them once and a while at our home or in passing at the mosque. 

i love the sr she is so nice but when i asked her last week why she wouldn't call or come by more often since we only live about a mile apart she looked away and changed the question.

i asked my husband later if i had done anything bad or rude to ever insult them like the tea not being strong enough or not having enough to put out for them to eat or something. he said "No" and than "Why" i told him she seemed to not be happy to visit with me. he said he didn't know why her husband was always happy to stop by.

than a week later my husband saw his friend at the mosque and his friend mentioned how nice the visit was. so when he told me this i was very lost on what happened to our friendship.

later she called and wanted to know if i could look up some information about travel on my computer for her since her computer wasn't working. i said sure and why not stop by and we could do it together. she said no just that she would call me back later next week.

now at this point i'm almost in tears wondering what is going on why is she so cold why hadn't we seen them for so long and what was it i had done that was so wrong or had not done that should of been done.

than it happened very awkward and horrifying and horrible that i had to tell my husband this and hope he would understand.

on friday i was going to the mosque for prayer and i had stopped to visit the Imams wife and her daughter and than on to mosque. i parked and suddenly a van pulled up blocking my car and her husband got out to greet me. it was emabarrasing there were other brs driving in one stopped to see if everything was okay. her husband who other than saying salaams to i've never even talked too said he wished he had a life like my husband and that he was very unhappy with his wife and i just felt like everything was spinning and seriously i thought i would pass out. i just said call my husband and talk to him.

my husband did not get upset and several brs mentioned to him in private that they saw a unknown br pull up suddenly in a strange way and stop and question me so i was happy to know that brs were honest and true and witness that i did nothing wrong.

so i don't know what to do... i don't want to see this br ever again i think i might throw-up, pass out or cry if i do and i think that's why she doesn't want to see me she thinks i am causing problems with her marriage.

Aminah

Edited by Aminah07
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 8:43am

Well I can see why you would be embarassed! Having him talk to you like that, and in public, yikes!

Well, Iwould give it a bit of space.. take your time until you have had time to reflect upon the situation.

I would ask, how close are you to this sister? How much do you value her friendship. If it is important to maintain the friendship then I would give it time and then meet and ask her directly. A good way is something like, "I've noticed that we are not as close as we were, did I do something to offend you?"

If there is and she tells you then you'll know.

If she says no, then take her at her word and go from there. If she is either not telling the truth or deceiving herself, and does not want to be friends then let it go. She may perfer that for a time anyway as it sounds like there are problems in her marriage.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Aminah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 9:10am

WAS,

thanks sis,

I will give it some time sometimes time is best.

Aminah

umsami View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2007 at 8:11am
Assalamu Alalikum:

Three things come to mind... one, that there is trouble in their marriage and perhaps says stuff like, "Why can't you be more like XYZ's wife (you)!"  So that could be causing tensions.

Secondly, she's seen her husband looking at you in a way that is inapropriate and doesn't know how to handle it.

Third, he sounds like he could be abusive from the van incident.  Very bizarre behavior for a Muslim or non-Muslim, IMHO.

Peace.

Aminah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 5:41am

WAS UmmSami,

it is bizarre we've pretty much severed our ties to them. i do feel sad it had to end that way. his wife is leaving soon to go overseas, and she might not be back for several months or at all. i found out that he had been keeping her here in fear she mentioned to me before she left that she had wanted to leave for the past several years and when i asked why she hadn't taken the trip sooner. she said her husband had told her there was bird flu throughout the area and she couldn't go because she would fall ill even if she only ate a vegetarian diet. she trusted him without questioning him any further until just these past few weeks and than she just made her plans and ordered her tickets. i didn't say anything but i felt so sad for her inside that she never thought to question his response and maybe could have been in a different environment a long time ago.

i wish her the best and some peace because she hasn't had very much peace of mind for a long time. it's frightning to think of how much power and control a spouse can have.

Aminah

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2007 at 5:21am
Originally posted by Aminah07 Aminah07 wrote:

WAS UmmSami,

it is bizarre we've pretty much severed our ties to them. i do feel sad it had to end that way. his wife is leaving soon to go overseas, and she might not be back for several months or at all. i found out that he had been keeping her here in fear she mentioned to me before she left that she had wanted to leave for the past several years and when i asked why she hadn't taken the trip sooner. she said her husband had told her there was bird flu throughout the area and she couldn't go because she would fall ill even if she only ate a vegetarian diet. she trusted him without questioning him any further until just these past few weeks and than she just made her plans and ordered her tickets. i didn't say anything but i felt so sad for her inside that she never thought to question his response and maybe could have been in a different environment a long time ago.

i wish her the best and some peace because she hasn't had very much peace of mind for a long time. it's frightning to think of how much power and control a spouse can have.

Aminah

Bismillah and Salaams,

Sorry if I have misundestood elements of your story.  But the main idea at first seems like you are lonely and she hurt you because she didn't explain to you what was going on.  This happens a lot in life.  And it's easy for others to think it's not important, but when you are frustrated by this lack of communication, it can be really hurtful. 

When things like this happen, it is always good to distract ourselves with good, halal things whenever we are feeling that welling up of emotion and pain.  Walking, reading, woodoo, a book, studying something to include the Holy Quran.  One thing that has helped me over the years has been studying something in a regular, daily routine.  Of course, the Holy Quran, and its memorization and rules of recitation, but also a simple thing, a formula for chemistry, anatomy, the multiplication tables.  Halal distractions at the moment of pain really help.

As for the brother talking to you in public like that, I really understand where you are coming from, but we have to keep things clear in our heads.  It was in public and there was nothing haram that I can see about it especially on your part.  Sometimes we get too caught up in ourselves and our little communities to see the big picture.  It's sad that the communities focus on things like that.  One way people handle that successfully is to act like it was a small, inimportant uneventful event with a comment like, "Oh, that.  That was nothing."  And people will forget such things sooner.  But if we focus on the event, worrying about it and re-hashing it, people have more to talk about and will continue to do so.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Aminah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2007 at 8:39am

WAS,

thank you herjihad, i think the entire situation at the mosque just really surprised me and caught me off gaurd at that instance it was kind of frightening and a big shock to see a minivan just suddenly stop and have some one get out and block me in. i really think you are right there wasn't anything haram in it and you are right it's better to just dismiss it and shrug it off.

i hope she does get the peace she needs overseas and if she does come back she gets a fresh start on life with or without her husband.

Aminah

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic