IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Assalamualaikum from Malaysia  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Assalamualaikum from Malaysia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRM786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Assalamualaikum from Malaysia
    Posted: 22 March 2007 at 10:22am
Asalamualaikum,  warahmatullahiwabarakatuh

My name is Mohd. Maarof, I was born as a moslem and I'm proud of it. In Malaysia MOHD. mean short form of MUHAMMAD. And dear brothers and sisterS can call me Maarof. I like to follow this forum is to learn about Islam knowledge in English language. This is first time I'm using english language in a forum. I hope we can help each other.

Wassalamu'alaikum warahmatullahiwabarakatuh.

PS : Sorry, I really have problem in My English I hope my brothers and sisters understand what I mean. ..:D
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 12:34pm
Waalykumsalaam Brother Muhammad Maaroof:
Welcome to the club
I would like to point out some thing about the short spellings of Muhammad and Muslim spellings as Moslem. They have a history behind them. The British colonial masters did all they could to these two words in their language to malign their Muslim subjects.

Every opportunity they would get to tell Indian Mussulmaans was they were Moslooms (victims) of their religion; meaning Islam was too harsh on them, and Christianity would be a better alternative etc.

When the colonial Brits filled any paperwork for the Muslim subjects they hated writing full spellings of Muhammad so they would shorten it to Mohd and the enslaved subjects would go along and got used to doing themselves same thing cuz  lack of understanding of the Brits' hate filled mind set.
If you happen to research some old European anti Muslim writings you will find that they have spelled our beloved prophet's name in many derogatory ways.

Haven't you noticed that Indians have gotten rid of the most British names of their cities!

Muhammad must be spelled as Muhammad and not Mohd or just put initial M only. Muslim should not be Moslem.

The current auto spell check program doesn't accept it either indicating to change to the right spellings, it should tell you some thing a miss.

You English is just fine and hope you enjoy your stay at the forum.

salaam

Edited by Sign*Reader
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
number41 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote number41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 6:26pm

Waalykumsalaam br,

I am new too, and I am please to know you.  I am with Sign*Reader, be proud of your name, Muhammad. Next time please spelt and wrote it in full if you name is being asked.

Please wear that name, like a badge, honor it with care I am sure you will make our Muslim brothers and sisters here proud of you.  Your English is perfect!

Salam.

'When one bright intellect meets another bright intellect, the light increases and the Path becomes clear' � Rumi
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 6:00am

Originally posted by WRM786 WRM786 wrote:

Asalamualaikum,  warahmatullahiwabarakatuh

My name is Mohd. Maarof, I was born as a moslem and I'm proud of it. In Malaysia MOHD. mean short form of MUHAMMAD. And dear brothers and sisterS can call me Maarof. I like to follow this forum is to learn about Islam knowledge in English language. This is first time I'm using english language in a forum. I hope we can help each other.

Wassalamu'alaikum warahmatullahiwabarakatuh.

PS : Sorry, I really have problem in My English I hope my brothers and sisters understand what I mean. ..:D

Bismillahirrahmanirraheem

Assalaamualaikum warehmatullahi wabarakatuh

Welcome to the forum brother. Insha allah you will have a nice time here.

I will say the same thing regarding the name Muhammad. It is a beautiful name and also the name of our beloved prophet sallahu alaihi wa sallam. Is there any other name that is shortened? Will any person of any faith like their name to be shortened by others? I don't think so. I know, many people do it, but we must not follow the herd.

Hope to see you around the forum! and yes, do not worry about your english.  Wassalaam.

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
abuzuhri View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuzuhri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 5:19pm
Welcome sdr muhammad maarof,
This stranger and dusted hui traveller abuzuhri shin is also from the foothills of titiwangsa not far from kuala lumpur. Just check and search again, you will find many trusted companions. Hope you gain strength from your long cyber journey. Our teahut is open and there are no doors and walls, just give a salam and knock on the cave of wisdom at the blue mountain dragon inn. Ha ha ha. Three laughters of zen mean many things and half sufis are abound. Say a turning word..give life to crowded story of iman. Banish the five letters, live in peace and vast freedom.
Tubba alal ghuraba. Cai jian. Fa ayna tazhabun.
abuzuhri shin
on1on5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote on1on5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2007 at 10:57am

Welcome to the forum, please do not feel anxious about your English because as far as I see there are many people who learned and are using English as their second language in this forum. Little mistakes may easily be forgiven.

The discussion about the pronounciation of Mohammed (sav) is very interesting. I have already learned that the shortened form is deliberately transformed by the colonial masters. In my language the name Mehmed  (e is pronounced as ae)is much more common than Mohammed and it is said to be a kind of respect to the name of the unique personality of the beloved prophet. Maybe cultural and historical differences of the communities shape the same kind of short spelling either as a kind or a wrong practice. The subject is interesting really.

Anyway glad to welcome you brother. Hope you enjoy the time you spend here.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic