IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some Cool Articles on Muslim Sisters  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some Cool Articles on Muslim Sisters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umsami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Cool Articles on Muslim Sisters
    Posted: 12 May 2005 at 7:30am

Assalamu Alaikum:

I saw all of the posts on the women-led prayer thing... mostly negative, some positive... and in a way, they depressed me greatly.  As a hijabi-wearing Sister, I find myself both with progressive and traditional leanings.  I think that we Sisters have been sold out by many male scholars in the Islamic Ummah... our rights granted to us by Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) have been stolen by many... so in that regard, I support the Progressive Movements attempt to engage in dialogue on some sensitive issues.  Are there more important issues in the Muslim world than women-led prayer??  Yes... but we all have to tackle those issues that inspire us.  For some, it will be illiteracy.  For others, it will be honor-killings or FGM.  For some, it will be a women's role in the masjid... and topics such as women-led prayer.  For me, it is domestic violence--and the abuse of the Qur'an and ahadith as justification for that violence.

Personally, I would love to attend a women's-only masjid.. with a woman Imam... and my Sisters all standing together in the main prayer hall.  I prayed once with a Sister from Saudi Arabia leading the prayer... and her recitation was so amazingly beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes and renewed my desire to learn more Qur'an.

Anyway, I thought I'd post a few articles on some Amazing Muslimahs around the World...and things they are doing.

Female Imams in China... (Imams of Women-only Masjids)http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3656180.stm

Sisters in Turkey working as vaizes http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0427/p04s01-woeu.html

On the whole women's led prayer, I urge you to check out this article on the prayer because it does show that some good came of it.  A muslimah who had stopped praying, has now started again.  Subhan'allah.

http://www.muslimwakeup.com/main/archives/2005/03/first_frui t_of.php

One quote that I have to admit resonates is:

"In mixed-gender gatherings, however, none of the women�s piety, proficient recital, good form, or seasoned knowledge of every nook and cranny of prayer, matters. All women are ruled out before any of that is even considered�ruled out by gender alone. A man who doesn�t even observe proper form, his back sloppily sloped in ruku, is the default and permanent choice of imam over his wife whose prayer form is exquisite. A man whose poor qira�a makes me wince automatically assumes the mantle of imam should prayer time come upon him in a group of women, no matter how graced with skill and knowledge they are. My gangly brother at fourteen, who did not have enough sense to let his body come to full tranquility in each posture at that impatient age, took precedence as imam over my grandmother with her learning and piety, according to the traditions and customs of Islam and the widespread belief of most Muslims, because he was past puberty and so, biologically, was an adult male�meeting the first requirement, which she did not meet. "

Peace.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 5:40am

Bismillah,

Thank you for the post.  The links look informative and interesting.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 6:01am

Assalamu alaikum,

Sisters, the web site muslimwakeup is so very unIslamic.  It is run by people who want Islam to be a secular, westernized 'religion'. 

Please, I would urge you to read Qur'an everyday and pray to Allah to make your deen strong.  You cannot westernize or modernize Islam or change it to somethiing "progressive".  Islam is already perfect, only Muslims fall short.

Peace, ummziba.

Edited by ummziba
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic