IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islamic INTRAfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SHIA SUNNI, MALEKI, SHAFI, HANAFI, WAHABI  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSHIA SUNNI, MALEKI, SHAFI, HANAFI, WAHABI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 3:49am

Sonya has stated:

I dont know whether it was you or someone else you said Wahabbis give priority to ahadith over anything else. i would say Wrong! i hve studied in an Arab country and my teachers held the so called 'wahabi' ideology. none of them ever said that ahadith should be considered before anything else.. We have been taught that ahadith are the second source [after Qura'n] of Shair'ah and this is not wrong. There's a verse confirming this...

I had posted that Hadith is the third source of guidance. Nobody replied properly except that some friends tried to meddle (tied) the Hadith with the Sunnah. I request that if Hadith is kept and understood as something separate from the practice of the prophet s.a.w.s. (IF) then please let me know which thing has the priority. The Hadith or the Sunnah??? Just guide me about it please. Thanks.

abuzaid View Drop Down
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 6:48am

Originally posted by minuteman minuteman wrote:

I request that if Hadith is kept and understood as something separate from the practice of the prophet s.a.w.s. (IF) then please let me know which thing has the priority. The Hadith or the Sunnah??? Just guide me about it please. Thanks.
From where you got this If??? Hadith is one of the main source of Sunnah. From where you learn Sunnah?? Of course another source of Sunnah is Quran itself, as it gives clear intstruction to Prophet Mohammed PBUH. And hadith of Ayesha RA mentioned that character of Prophet PBUH is Quran.

Even if you say that Sunnah is the source, source of Sunnah is Quran and Hadith.

Another possibility could be that, history is another source of Sunnah. But Hadith is the most authentic history of Prophet Mohammed PBUH.

So, when you say Sunnah; from where you get that Sunnah other than Quran and hadith??

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 8:33am

abuzaid That is your question. You do not know that there is a continous practice also going on about all rituals, prayers etc from the very first day without any break and millions of people have been doing it all the time in all countries. Will you ignore that??

The Quran had been put into practice in the life time of the prophet s.a.w.s. and very one learnt that from the prophet s.a.w.s. They copied and followed that practice. There were no books of Hadith then. Even verbal Hadith was not needed because every one knew what to do and how to do it.

If there were any Hadith  (The said word) they were advisory sentences spoken by the prophet s.a.w.s. and they were far and few  with few people only such that they had to be gathered by much effort 80 -100 years after the passing away of the prophet. They were collected, compiled and written down.

Do you think that nobody knew how to pray before the Hadith were compiled?? People did not know how to pray or how to perform Hajj etc.??? Please think over these lines and then you will come to know that there is something else present other than the Quran and the Hadith. That is the second thing And that is between the Quran and the Hadith. Please reply.

Edited by minuteman
abuzaid View Drop Down
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 9:23am

Brother,

You have a point when it comes to throery; but practically how do we follow sunnah. Can you give me list of Sunnah according to your definition which is not mentioned in Quran and Hadith?? and which is agreed upon by all muslims in 15th century. If not, than simple conclusion drawn by your principle is to follow only Quran and reject everything other than Quran. If we agree on your principle, even explnantion of Quran will also be subjected to understanding of individuals. Which also would divide this whole ummah into scattered groups.

Another point is that, Hadith is not just "said word" or "advisory sentences" of Prophet PBUH. It gives an impression that you have not read any hadith so far.

Hadith contains saying of Prophet PBUH, action of Prophet PBUH. There are hadith, which even mentions that, such and such thing is done in front of Prophet and Prophet did not prohibited it. So, hadith is recored of Life of Prophet and also Sahabah. Thus (Authentic)Hadith is one of the basic source of Sunnah.

Further, if we know something is said by Prophet from authentic source can we just ignore it by saying these were "advisory sentneces"!!!

Are not we disobeying Allah SW who order us to Obey Prophet and even follow Prophet-- Allahumma Swalli Ala Mohammed

Hope this helps

Edited by abuzaid
number41 View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 5:03pm

Sis Sonya wrote : ........name starting with letter 'M' which should be used instead of 'Wahhabis'.

What I know...... is that the Wahhabi title is riddled with pejorative intent. Instead  they called themselves MUWAHHIDUN----or those who profess the Doctrine of the Unity of God...(Ahl al tawhid).

It is precisely because they called themselves muwahhidun, that others have accused the Wahhabi of dismissing other Muslims as being guilty of practising shirk.

Don't label yourself barelvi, deobandi, ahl-e-hadith, salafi, wahaabi, or any other. We all are just MUSLIMS.

May Allah help us forever...

Ameen.

'When one bright intellect meets another bright intellect, the light increases and the Path becomes clear' � Rumi
abuzaid View Drop Down
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 10:11pm

Dear number41;

You have a point, when a specific group claim to be Muwahideen, this also means that other than this group is non-muwahhideen. In the same way when a specific group claim to be salafi, a direct conclusion is that any group other than this does not follow manhaj of Salaf As Saaliheen, which is wrong. However, Followers of Ibn Abdul Wahhab called themselves Muwahhideen in a specific context; these were the people who tried to spread tawheed when grave worshipping has become common in Arabian penninsula.

Sister Sonya's suggestion was in this specific context when other members insisted on slandering them and calling them as Wahhabis.

minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 10:31pm

Abuzaid: You have a point when it comes to throery; but practically how do we follow sunnah. Can you give me list of Sunnah according to your definition which is not mentioned in Quran and Hadith?? and which is agreed upon by all muslims in 15th century. If not, than simple conclusion drawn by your principle is to follow only Quran and reject everything other than Quran. If we agree on your principle, even explnantion of Quran will also be subjected to understanding of individuals. Which also would divide this whole ummah into scattered groups.

My reply:How do I follow Sunnah. I am surprised at you. The Sunnah is being followed by all the Muslims from the very first day that they learnt from the prophet s.a.w.s. There is no break and no need of any book of Hadith for that.

To think that without Hadith, one will reject everything other than Quran is also false. Why? Do you think that people will forget how to pray?? Orhow to perform Hajj without your Hadith. You are wrong. The practice of the holy prophet s.a.w.s. which you are denying and you have no value for that, is continous and is a good explaination of the Quran and its verses. Itis not hadith or books of Hadith which are explaining the Quran. It is the practice of the Holy prophet which is supporting the Islamic teachings. Hadith came on the scene much later.

I ask you again, were the people not praying properly until the Ahadith were collected?? You have not replied.

Abuzaid:

Another point is that, Hadith is not just "said word" or "advisory sentences" of Prophet PBUH. It gives an impression that you have not read any hadith so far.

My reply:I know Hadith is not just "said word". It also contains the various deeds of the prophet s.a.w.s. Please do not try to misunderstand me. How do you say that I have not read any book of Hadith. I have read them quite a lot. There are acts and deeds in the books of Hadith. Admitted and many other useful words of wisdom too.

But remember that the deeds (acts) in Hadith are not necessary to teach us what to do. They simply prove that what we are doing is in fact right and it was done by the prophet s.a.w.s. If you think that it is the books of Hadith which taught us how to do Wudhu and how many Rak'at of prayer at various times then you are very much mistaken. Why don't you admit that please???

abuzaid View Drop Down
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2007 at 6:06am

What I understand from you is..Continuous practice of Muslim Ummah over the period of time till today is sunnah. and the moment these practice is written down in a book it ceases to be sunnah. I am not getting confused, when you try to define Sunnah while avoiding hadith you conclude this.

your Question:were the people not praying properly until the Ahadith were collected?? You have not replied.

Well! even Sahabah and early generation followed Hadith. Because what they heard from Prophet and observed Prophet doing is nothing but hadith. Only difference is that these hadith were not in written form. Muhadditheen in an attempt to preserve Sunnah/hadith; they collected available ahadith from people, verified its authenticity and wrote it for the ease of Ummah. And what you are saying is that we should not follow sunnah if it is written.

We are far away from Prophets period, and its easy to manipulate any prevailing practice among ummah as sunnah. In practice, for many, celebration of Prophets birth day is one of the greatest sunnah and for some worshipping grave is another important sunnah, just because they learned it from their parents and we are 1400 years away from Prophetic era.

you said: If you think that it is the books of Hadith which taught us how to do Wudhu and how many Rak'at of prayer at various times then you are very much mistaken. Why don't you admit that please???

Well, I never hesitate to admit my mistakes. But I don't totally agree with you. You are correct wrt to wudu by itself. But if any differences arises among ummah about wudu, like if wudu gets broken by touching wife. and if saying Bismillah is complusory before wudu etc.. In such cases the only option we have is to refer to Ahadith.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic