IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Creationism or Intelligent Design?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Creationism or Intelligent Design?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creationism or Intelligent Design?
    Posted: 11 May 2005 at 10:07pm

Intelligent design (ID) refers to the theory that intelligent causes are responsible for the origin of the universe and of life in all its diversity. Advocates of ID maintain that their theory is scientific and provides empirical proof for the existence of God or superintelligent aliens.

Creationism is basically the belief that matter, earth and other comprehensiible forms were created by God and that human life did not evolve.

The benefits

Creationism and Intelligent design are both arguments for the existence of a benevolent, and an intelligent God. Both argue that life forms are too delicate and too intricate to have existed in chance. DNA and other forms of intelligence are not created through chance. Einstein even said "God doesn't play dice." There are many creationist who are scientist who sunscribe to the belief that life must have a designer due to lifes complex work. This argument can be the same for those who subscribe to the intelligent design belief. In conclusion both are compliment to each other. The difference, is that Creationism is based on the Biblical reference of creation which denies evolution whereas Intelligent Design is much more aligned with the scientific belief of evolution while denying that life is without chance it however holds that life had evolved at some point.

The Consequences

To believe in creationism is to subscribe to the Christian belief that God created the world 6,000 years ago. Of course this would seem extreme given that many Christians now believe that the concept of time prior to man's knowledge of it was not comparable as we now know of time. Regardless, since evolution basis its truth on time by "earth evolving life" it thus holds the belief that life did not evolve in time but rather was created already in God's image. There is a pothole in Creationism because it relates to the Biblical understandin of how life started. Islamically speaking a Muslim cannot deny the first few chapters of the Bible when it says "In the beginning God....." because frankly in the beginning there was only One God.

But how can we subscribe to a fallible system of beliefs when it presupposes that life all of a sudden existed without need of adaptation? Truly evolution comes in to play when humans go from climate to climate because our physiology changes "with time." It also doesn't explain the common link of life forms by asserting that life began by God's will. Surely there is a process within creation or some sort of system that explains the relation between different life forms.

Intelligent Design is no better. It surely does not explain what an "Intelligent Designer" is and whom is it referring to, because one only has to assume it refers to God. But Intelligent Designer can also refer to a superintelligent alien who has impregnated earth with various complex organisms that has the ability to replicate to produce life. One can also imagine that the intelligent designer could be some small cloud of intermixed gases which has given earth the ability to produce life ( yes one can assume such gases would be living).

If we are to subscribe to the Intelligent design belief and believe that it refers to God the question I have to ask which can relate to Creationism as well is: Which God is it referring to? Thus we come back to the age old religious dilemma.

Islamic approach

Islam takes the middle approach as most here should know. God has specifically said in the Qur'an that life came from water and also has stated that life was created in various forms and colors. We kno that to get a certain way it takes time and one must undergo a process of change to see the effects. We can see that in various forms of life there are people of various cultures who look differently by their pigmentation. This is due to the migration and the skins ability to adapt to the climate. But did you know that for something like this to take effect would take generations!

It would probably take milennia which would supercede the supposed time God had created the world according to the Creationist P.O.V. (point of view). The Qur'an like the Bible has said that God has created the world in 6 days. Perhaps in our knowledge this would be accurate. But 6 days could be 6 million years or eons. In this debate I have to say that I agree with the premise of both I do not agree with the structure of both. However I do suppose  we look into the Islamic understanding of life by presupposing the scientific elements of Intelligent Creationism. Of course I don't want to sound like an apologetic of the two by meshing them together but I would like to present the Islamic belief of God' creation.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2005 at 6:28am

Assalamu alaikum,

Maybe I am just naive or silly, but I think sometimes people THINK too much!  I mean, if you believe that Allah created everything, why does it have to make sense to you?  Why must a certain theory or theories match what you believe in order to feel satisfied in that belief?

Maybe I am just too simple, but, for me, I believe that Allah created everything.  How, where, when, with what, in what order, in what time frame...these are all unimportant to me.  There is plenty enough "proof" (signs) of Allah in the natural world to make my belief iron-clad.  Why make things so complicated?

I suppose some people are just naturally curious.  Others like to see things in black and white.  If pondering all these questions helps increase your faith (and I'm not saying it does), then ponder away.  But, if all this makes your faith waver (and I'm not saying it does), why pursue it?

For me, simple, firm acceptance of Qur'an and Sunnah, along with the oh so numerous signs in the natural world, are enough for me.  I'm not telling you what you should do or think, brother, only showing you another view.  I hope I have not offended you as none was intended.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2005 at 9:50am
However I agree with your post its quite evident that people look at things in black and white. God being the most simple and unified principle being that we know is so complex thaty we tend to look at the world which he created in categories just to get some understanding of truth. Perhaps this in itself is illogical seeing how creation is so simple in the sense of understanding nature as something "extraordinary" it can also be that which drives us to such complex issues such as the forum title suggest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic