IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Terminoligies in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Terminoligies in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terminoligies in Islam
    Posted: 07 March 2007 at 12:11am

As'salamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

I thought of discussing few terminologies in islam. I wish our members too, to contribute there knowledge and discuss so as to firm the concepts we generally use

The first one which i would feel like to discuss is Al-Ihsaan.

In islamic terminology , the term that emerges for thr Religious quest is al-Ihsan, as laid down explicitly in Imam Bukhari's Sahih : ------"

-----he {the enquirer} asked : "What is al-Ihsan ?" {To that} he {Prophet sallal lahu alaihi wasallam} replied

"It is to pursue the system of obedience to Allah ta'ala as if you are seeing Him {i.e the inner vision of Divine Presence} but  if it is not possible for you to see Him {inside consciousness} then {this reality shud remain thoroughly established in the mind that} He is seeing you' ---------"

In the Holy Qur'an we find the command : "Verily, Allah ta'ala enjoins al-Adl and al-Ihsan -------" al-Ihsan having being related  elsewhere in the holy book not only to acts of well-doing to others but also to attitudes and acts that bear direct  reference to practice of self negation  for the sake of God and the attendant purity of  the heart and godliness and we repeatedly come across the theme that "Allah loves those who are Muhsin  {i.e   the pursurers of Ihsan}

Then the important fact to be noted that the root from which ihsaan and Muhsin emerge is HSN which enshrines the concept of "Beauty". Hence al-Ihsan as Imam Raghib al-Isafahani explains, stands in one of its two connotations  for "the creation of beauty in one's conduct, which is acheived  thru beauty in knowledge  and beauty in action" {Mufradat - al Qur'an}

- Thus denoting, as a religious term, the beautification of Iman {faith} and Islam { submission to God}. It relates to basic Qur'anic
virtue of Al-Ikhlas {undivided loyalty and purity of devotion to Allah ta'ala}. All that involves a perpetual  conscientious struggle {Jihad} on the path of 'Devotion o God"  for the sake of establishing purer and purer  and more living relation with Him. - in one word  "Love
for God" Hubb Allah and pursued with utmost regard {tadarru} for God's infinite Greatness and Glory

I wish to continue this discussion with other termilogies we use or add up any extra knowlege to Al-Ihsan.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2007 at 10:11am

As Salamu Alaikum

Masha Allah a nice explanation.

When I read the title I thought it will be a short explanation of the terms.

May be you can help me out here and explain the terms:

Az-Zuhd

At-Takfeer

Al-Fisq

Unfortunately these days, I don�t come online much, so there is hardly any time to browse after checking my emails.

Jazakallahu Khairan

Wa Alaikum Salam

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2007 at 11:35pm

Bismillahirahmaaniraheem

I were in confusion as to start with which term and Alwaradah made it easy. Today insha-allah we will be discussing of the terms above

Lets start up by Takfeer.

Takfeer is to expel a believer from his religion when he commits any act which is against islam intentionally.
Act here means that rekated to kufr.  Its only in jest. Takfeer is issued thru fatwas and by the scholars. To expel him there shud be full proof  evidence of the act commited and also that he had knowledge of the act as kufr but still intentionally commits it. - i.e aliman bidhaalik qasidan lahu.
So if he is ignorant then he does n't become a disbeliever.However, when this person is neglectful in abandoning learning and attaining clarity, he is not to be excused.
Such as when it reaches him that this action of his is kufr, and then he does not verify it (that it is as such), and nor does he investigate, then in this situation, he is not to be excused. 

And if he did not intend (ghayr qaasid) the action (i.e. wilfully, knowingly, deliberately), then he does not become a disbeliever. However, the one who did something that expels from the religion, only in jest (maazihan), then he becomes a disbeliever, because he intended that [action or statement] (qasada dhaalik), as has been textually stated by the  'people of knowledge.�
Like most of us must have heard this. I don;t remember exactly but would summarise it as : Once a traveller lost his loaded camel in  a desert when he was asleep under a  tree and he was very upset. He knew none there. He prayed Allah ta'ala and after sometime he found his camel back. Out of his happiness he cried "O Allah. am your God and you are my believer" ------- something like that. So here this person unintentionally stated kufr so he takfeer cannot be applied
over him. Sometimes people are compelled to say statements of kufr. Though they may not intend so but had to say as his life were in threat. Even this condition of act is unintentional.

Coming to Fisq which means to depart from the path of Islam i.e dis-obedience of Allah ta'ala. Though an act of faasiq does n't expel him from Islam but his imaanis at lowest level. Generally his act are major sins what we call as Gunahay Kabirah
He is counted amongst believers because he is in terms with tawheed and does n;t commit any shirk. Other believers are to treat him normally as like other believers as Imaan and islam still exist in him. But Hadd is to be established over him Hadd is "punishment" as per shareeah.But he is to be hated in accordance to what he exemplifies of disobedience and that is because he has not departed from the circle of Imaan.

Regarding Zuhd i donno much except that its abstinence in Islam

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 1:41am

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Jazakallahu Khairan for this information. May Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala reward you for your efforts.

I am book marking this page. If I need any more terms I will post them here.

Maybe someone else like can post something on Az-Zuhd

Wa Alaikum Salam

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2007 at 8:59pm

As'salamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

One of my teachers who's very busy sent me a line of Az-Zuhd. May be it may help us little right now.

In simple word zuhd means "dunya se be-raghbati hai" to control ones desire. If you have read how Prophet PBUH, Abu Bakr, and Omar spend their life is zuhd. Jo shakhs zuhd ikhtiyaar karta hai, usay zaahid kehte hain.

In simple word zuhd means "dunya se be-raghbati hai" to control ones desire. If you have read how Prophet PBUH, Abu Bakr, and Omar spend their life is zuhd. Jo shakhs zuhd ikhtiyaar karta hai, use zaahid kehte hain.

I just copy and pasted it here.

Edited by seekshidayath
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 3:33am

As Salamu alaikum

Jazakallahu Khairan

I could only read what you pasted by selecting it.

Thanks once again

Salams

fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 7:22am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

MashaAllah a very good thread and JazakAllah khair brother for the information.

I dont know much about zuhud but what i understand is that its only taking minimum from worldly life. The person of zuhud is called Zahid and it means self denying, So you denying self what it desires. That would be comfort, pleasure and luxuries of life. But as a muslim there is always balance, you dont starve yourself but make sure that you control your epitite and not the other way round. Standing in prayer while everyone is sleep and having the basics of life and avoiding the luxuries.

I just want to mention the last part of brother's post about fisq in which you have said 'that is because he has not departed from the circle of Imaan'. Dont you think its only status of islam he is not departed from? because i remember a hadith which implies that when a person commits a sin, he/she has no iman that point. Because Imaan would be believing in Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala and obeying him.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2007 at 10:13pm

As'salamualaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

Alwardah,, that space has nothing in it. I don't know why it happened?

Coming to the point of Fatima ,Yes, a person commits sin when he has no imaan as per the hadith. Be that a minor or major sin. But here this believer who commits a major sin but he believes in tawheed and does n;t commit shirk. So he;s still in the circle of islam.
On what basis shall we judge the imaan of  a person. Its not possible  na. So as he still believes in Allah ta'ala he 's not expelled  but is punished. He commits such sins when he's nafs overcomes imaan.
Am unable to explain the point clearly but hope and wish , u understood it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic