IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Concept of Absolute-Hinduism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concept of Absolute-Hinduism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bharatiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concept of Absolute-Hinduism
    Posted: 10 May 2005 at 12:52am

Hello Friends!!!

I am posting this post for those who want to understand Hinduism.

Its waste of talking about Hinduism, without considering the core of it.  The core of Hinduism is the concept of the Absolute, Brahman. 

Brahman is one of the most important concepts in Hinduism, signifying ultimate reality. Brahman is absolute, eternal ineffable and impersonal. Literally, the term means "the ever growing."

It is also identified with atman, and so is frequently referred to as Brahman-Atman - the soul of the entire universe. Frequently, all Hindu gods are assimilated into Brahman-Atman and regarded simply as personal manifestations of an impersonal force.

Within the Brahman Hindus have identified a sort of "trinity" of forces or aspects: Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu. Brahma is the creative force, Shiva is the destructive force and Vishnu is the protective force.

The Concept of Brahman

Let us look at what Hinduism holds to be the Absolute. The ultimate goal and Absolute of Hinduism is termed "Brahman" in Sanskrit. The word comes from the Sanskrit verb root brh, meaning "to grow". Etymologically, the term means "that which grows" (brhati) and "which causes to grow" (brhmayati).

Brahman is not "God"
Brahman, as understood by the scriptures of Hinduism, as well as by the 'acharyas'(preceptors) of the Vedanta school, is a very specific conception of the Absolute. This unique conception has not been replicated by any other religion on earth, and is exclusive to Hinduism. Thus to even call this conception of Brahman "God" is, in a sense, somewhat imprecise. This is the case because Brahman does not refer to the anthropomorphic concept of God of the Abrahamic religions. When we speak of Brahman, we are referring neither to the "old man in the sky" concept, nor to the idea of the Absolute as even capable of being vengeful, fearful or engaging in choosing a favorite people from among His creatures. For that matter, Brahman is not a "He" at all, but rather transcends all empirically discernable categories, limitations and dualities.

What is Brahman?
In the 'Taittariya Upanishad' II.1, Brahman is described in the following manner: "satyam jnanam anantam brahman", "Brahman is of the nature of truth, knowledge and infinity." Infinite positive qualities and states have their existence secured solely by virtue of Brahman's very reality. Brahman is a necessary reality, eternal (i.e., beyond the purview of temporality), fully independent, non-contingent, and the source and ground of all things. Brahman is both immanently present in the realm of materiality, interpenetrating the whole of reality as the sustaining essence that gives it structure, meaning and existential being, yet Brahman is simultaneously the transcendent origin of all things (thus, panentheistic).

The Nature of Brahman
As the primary causal substance of material reality (jagatkarana), Brahman does not arbitrarily will the coming into being of the non-Brahman metaphysical principles of matter and jivas (individuated consciousness), but rather they are manifest into being as a natural result of the overflowing of Brahman's grandeur, beauty, bliss and love. Brahman cannot but create abundant good in a similar manner to how Brahman cannot but exist. Both existence and overflowing abundance are as much necessary properties of Brahman as love and nurturing are necessary qualities of any virtuous and loving mother.

Brahman is the Source
One can say that Brahman Itself (Him/Herself) constitutes the essential building material of all reality, being the antecedent primeval ontological substance from whence all things proceed. There is no ex nihilo creation in Hinduism. Brahman does not create from nothing, but from the reality of Its own being. Thus Brahman is, in Aristotelian terms, both the Material Cause as well as the Efficient Cause of creation.

The Final Goal & the Final Cause
As the source of Dharma, the metaphysical ordering principles inherent in the design of the cosmos, Brahman can be viewed as the Formal Cause. And as the final goal of all reality, Brahman is also the Final Cause. Being the ontological source of all reality, Brahman is the only substantial real that truly exists, all other metaphysical categories being either a) contingent transformations of Brahman, having their very being subsisting in attributive dependence upon Brahman, or else b) illusory in nature. These views about the nature of Brahman are in general keeping with the theological teachings of both the Advaita and the Vishishta-Advaita schools of Hinduism.

Brahman is the Ultimate Reality
All reality has its source in Brahman. All reality has its grounding sustenance in Brahman. It is in Brahman that all reality has its ultimate repose. Hinduism, specifically, is consciously and exclusively aiming toward this reality termed Brahman.

Thus, Brahman is the signifying name given to the concept of the unchanging, infinite, immanent and transcendent reality that is the Divine Ground of all being.

Let me quote one of our Upanishads,

"Om. That supreme Brahman is infinite, and this conditioned Brahman is infinite. The infinite proceeds from infinite. Then through knowledge, realizing the infinitude of the infinite, it remains as infinite alone." --- Mandukya Upanishad

This is a very beautiful verse.  It contains everything.  Its very complex yet very simple.

Another verse from one of our Vedas,

"Great indeed are the Gods who have sprung out of Brahman." --- Atharva Veda

Thus you can see that though Hinduism is called a polytheistic religion, It actually preaches monism.

And some points to remember,

1. Brahman is the Hindu idea of transcendental and immanent Divine Ground of which all cosmic existence is a self-projection.

2. Brahma is the Hindu Creator God.

3. Brahmin refers to a Hindu priest.

Now the question asked by many is,"Then why don't Hindus worship Brahman?  Why do they worship gods?"

The answer is simple if you understand the above written passage.

Peace and Love.

Edited by bharatiya
THE SOIL OF BHARAT IS MY HIGHEST HEAVEN, THE GOOD OF BHARAT IS MY GOOD.
balqees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balqees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 4:25am

Assalaamu alaikum ya muslimeen.

Greetings and good day to all.

Thankyou for sharing this with us, to help us understand the standpoint or viewpoint of the hindu ahderants.

I have some questions, but will begin with only one for now...and it had struck my mind earlier, but even more so now, in light of the explanation you have given of some spellings here.

What does your name mean? 'bharatiya'??

Will continue with the rest of my questions/comments a bit later, inshaAllah.

balqees.

bharatiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bharatiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 6:02am
Originally posted by balqees balqees wrote:

What does your name mean? 'bharatiya'??

Hello Balqees!!!

Bharatiya means the one who belongs to Bharat.  I mean to say Bharatiya means Indian.  I am sick of using the words India and Hindu which are adopted words.

Bharatiya means both singular and plural.

Peace and Love.
Fuhad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuhad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 10:38am

Salaam To:All

If we want to have a mutual understanding, then I would encourage 'thinking-muslims' to step out of their muslim mindset and understand the concepts from an Indian stand point.

Similar stance should be adopted by baratiya, to momentarily suspend his concept of Brahman and understand the concept of 'Tawheed' from Islamic stand point.

Muslims must familirise them with Philosophical and Theological concepts stated by Baratiya i.e such as transcedence and immanance

For muslims, literal approach to Quran will not be enough to expound the concept of ' Tawheed'.

Hopefully I will contirbute towards this concept later.

Regards

Fuhad

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by bharatiya bharatiya wrote:

Thus, Brahman is the signifying name given to the concept of the unchanging, infinite, immanent and transcendent reality that is the Divine Ground of all being.

Let me quote one of our Upanishads,

"Om. That supreme Brahman is infinite, and this conditioned Brahman is infinite. The infinite proceeds from infinite. Then through knowledge, realizing the infinitude of the infinite, it remains as infinite alone." --- Mandukya Upanishad

This is a very beautiful verse.  It contains everything.  Its very complex yet very simple.

It is with this definition (infinite alone) that I may agree with you. It is as simple as it could be.

Another verse from one of our Vedas,

"Great indeed are the Gods who have sprung out of Brahman." --- Atharva Veda

Thus you can see that though Hinduism is called a polytheistic religion, It actually preaches monism.

I think it is this interpretation of "Gods who have sprung out of Brahman" that makes it polytheistic oriented. Isn't it? And hence forth all your definitions starts to change especially once trying to define Brahma against Brahman.

And some points to remember,

1. Brahman is the Hindu idea of transcendental and immanent Divine Ground of which all cosmic existence is a self-projection.

2. Brahma is the Hindu Creator God...........

You have simply provided all the paras of theo-philosophy to explain Brahman, what about Brahma? and how do you say "the Hindu Creator God"? What philosophy, what reasons, etc???

3. Brahmin refers to a Hindu priest.

Now the question asked by many is,"Then why don't Hindus worship Brahman?  Why do they worship gods?"

The answer is simple if you understand the above written passage.

Peace and Love.

Yes, I could see the line of reasoning where, Brahman, Brahma, and Brahmin so closely resembles to each other especially in their hierarchy and sequence of order they appear to influence people. Meaning thereby, that no one can or should not approach Brahman as it (he/she) is way too far from human understanding (yet we have seen so much about it, philosophically say). However, we should only look at the Gods (who sprung out of Brahman) through Brahmin only??? What a wonderfull hypothesis by the people with specific agenda of ruling over the masses (remember exploitation)? It is here that we must ask for authenticity of the derived doctrine of Hinduism. May Brahman or Allah give us the right guidance to distinguish between the right and wrong. Amen.  

Fuhad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuhad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 3:16pm

Salaam To: Bharatiya

Here is an explanation on Concept of God from one of the most celebrated scholar of Islam. You can equate him to be the 'Sankara' of Islam.

Hope you will enjoy reading it.

Regards

Fuhad

Allah

Both Transcedent and Immanent

Tawheed

An artistic rendering of �the word Allah.�

In order to provide a better understanding of Islamic Tawheed, we have provided a description of Allah and some of His attributes as it appears in a famous, classical text of Islamic knowledge. The following is an original translation of excerpts from Revival of the Religious Sciences by Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazali [1][1]10:

Allah is singular in His essence with no partner, Unique with no equivalent, Absolute, no opposite has He, Alone without peer. He is beginningless without predecessor, perpetual of being without end, singularly sustaining everything without stop. He is not victim to termination or cessation, or to the elapsing of spans or the passing of interims. Rather He is the First and the Last; the Outward and the Inward � and He has knowledge of everything.

He is not a body with form, nor is He a confined or quantifiable substance. He does not resemble bodies in quantifiably or divisibility. Rather He resembles nothing existent, nor does anything existent resemble Him. There is absolutely nothing like Him, nor is He like anything.

No measure confines Him, no space contains Him, no direction encompasses Him, nor do the heavens surround Him.

He is above everything until the farthest reaches of the stars � an above-ness that does not increase His nearness to the heavens; rather He is exalted in degree above the heavens to the same extent that He is exalted in degree above the depths of the earth. Notwithstanding, He is near to all existence, and He is nearer to the bondsman than his jugular vein. His nearness, however, no more resembles the nearness of bodies one to another than His essence resembles the essences of bodies.

He is too sublime that space should encompass Him, as He is too hallowed that time should restrict Him. Rather He was, before He created time and space, and He is now as He was always. He is separate from His creation by His attributes. He is transcendentally holier than to be subject to change and movement. Rather He remains in His qualities of absolute majesty, not subject to abating, and in His qualities of perfection with no need of increase.

He is Living, Almighty, Irresistible, Overpowering; deficiency does not affect Him nor does incapacity. �No slumber can seize Him nor sleep.�[2]11 Extinction and death do not counteract Him. He is possessed of absolute dominion, sovereignty, and grandeur; to Him is creation and command.

He is matchless in creating and beginning, solitary in causing existence and originating. He creates all beings and their acts, decrees their sustenance and spans. Nothing possible is outside His grasp, and He is never detached from the absolute governing of all affairs. His abilities cannot be enumerated, and His knowledge is boundless.

True conviction in Allah�s existence and in His actual relationship with every one of us comes only with His mercy and guidance.

He knows all things knowable, encompassing all that transpires between the depths of the earths to the ends of the universe. Nothing of an atom�s weight in the earth and the heavens escapes His Knowledge; rather He knows the creeping of a black ant across a soundless stone on a lightless night. He knows the movement of the particles on a windy day. He knows the hidden and what is beyond. He presides over the thoughts of the conscience, the movements of the cerebrations, and the recondite subtleties of the psyche, with a beginningless, eternal Knowledge that has been with Him forever.

He is the willer of all that exists, and He is the director of all that occurs. Nothing occurs in the seen or unseen world, be it minimal or abundant, small or large, good or evil, beneficial or harmful, of belief or disbelief, knowledge or ignorance, triumph or ruin, increase or decrease, obedience or defiance, except by His decree, foreordainment, command, and volition. What He wills is, and what He does not will is not.

A servant has no escape from disobeying Him except through His conferred success and mercy; he has no power to obey Him except through His assistance and will. If all of mankind united together to move or retard a single atom in the universe without His will and volition, they would be unable to do so.

He hears and He sees. No audible thing, however faint, escapes His hearing, and no visible thing, however minute, is hidden from His sight. Distance does not impede His hearing and darkness does not obstruct His seeing. His attributes do not resemble the attributes of the creation to the same extent that His essence does not resemble the essences of creation.

Everything other than Him is an originated thing that He created by His power from nothingness, since He existed in eternity alone and there was nothing whatsoever with Him. He originated creation thereafter as a manifestation of His power and as a realization of His preceding Will, not because He had any need of it.

He is Magnanimous in creating and in imposing obligations upon His creation; He is not compelled to do it by necessity. He is Gracious in beneficence and reform, though not through any need. Munificence and Kindness, Beneficence and Grace are His. He rewards His believing worshipers for their acts of obedience according to generosity and encouragement rather than according to their merit and obligation, for there is no obligation upon Him in any deed towards anyone. Tyranny is inconceivable in Him, for there is no right upon Him towards anyone.[3]12

While these are the Islamic beliefs on Allah in written form, it must be noted that a person is not accountable for his intellectual understanding of them, but rather he is responsible for truly incorporating them in his heart. True conviction in Allah�s existence and in His actual relationship with every one of us comes only with His mercy and guidance. As such, Muslims ask Allah in every prayer for guidance unto His Straight Path.

Source : By Noor al-Deen, adapted and edited from an article presented Islamonline.net

bharatiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bharatiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Fuhad Fuhad wrote:

Similar stance should be adopted by baratiya, to momentarily suspend his concept of Brahman and understand the concept of 'Tawheed' from Islamic stand point.

I have already adopted such a stance.  I need not again.  I know what you mean by Allah.

I find this site to be more helpful for them who do not know the meaning of Allah. http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/tawheed/conceptofgo d.html

Peace and Love.
bharatiya View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bharatiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 7:37pm
Hello Friends!!

I will post this one in both of our topics, I mean, I will post this post even in our discussion, "Islam and Hinduism".  I have posed some questions at the end of this post.  I sincerely say that I did not pose them to demean Islam or with any ill-will towards you.  Please, no offence should be taken.

First let me tell you one thing.  The passage I have posted is not a comprehensive passage about Brahman.  It needs a lot of study to assimilate the concept of Brahman.  People think that they understand the concept of Brahman. 

The quote I have quoted from the Mandukya Upanishad, "That supreme Brahman is infinite, and this conditioned Brahman is infinite. The infinite proceeds from infinite. Then through knowledge, realizing the infinitude of the infinite, it remains as infinite alone", has a lot of meaning and has a very big explanation.

And another thing, I wanted to answer you the answer to the so called 'exploitation'.  I always start laughing when people talk about caste system.  As Francois Gautier points out,"Caste system is the favourite whipping boy of Hinduism".

No one knows what it is, but everyone talks about it.  Once a little girl asks her father what caste means, the father answers that she will understand it when she grows up.  She grows up and asks the same question again, then her father scolds her saying that she has grown up and should understand it by now.

Thats the situation, no one knows what caste is.

Now, coming to brahmins, they just considered others to be untouchables.  But not all brahmins considered so.  Only a few used to think that they were superior(just like muslims now think that theirs the only true religion).  Thats why we say that they are a minority.

But they didn't force their feeling on others.  They didn't kill a single soul.
They didn't use their scriptures to 'exploit' them.  Its just a feeling.

So as you can see, its a moral thing than a legal.  Though I feel untouchability is a sin, I can't go on against them.  What we can do is appeal to them. 

Most of the Muslims(even Indian Muslims) consider Hindus "Kafi**".  Its your feeling.  We can't change it.  Should we ask all of them to apologize?

There had been many Kings and their fellow brahmins who asked them to discard such a feeling as it was not a good idea.

But everyone I encounter ask the same question about caste system.

Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

I think it is this interpretation of "Gods who have sprung out of Brahman" that makes it polytheistic oriented. Isn't it? And hence forth all your definitions starts to change especially once trying to define Brahma against Brahman.

Well, if you want to call it a polytheistic religion, so be it.

And concept of Brahma is a complete different one.  The concept of Brahma does not come immediately after we study the concept of Brahman.  It is, sometimes, not considered at all.

Quote You have simply provided all the paras of theo-philosophy to explain Brahman, what about Brahma? and how do you say "the Hindu Creator God"? What philosophy, what reasons, etc???

It needs a thorough understanding of Brahman, to understand Brahma.

Quote Yes, I could see the line of reasoning where, Brahman, Brahma, and Brahmin so closely resembles to each other especially in their hierarchy and sequence of order they appear to influence people.

What hierarchy do you mean?  I numbered them as points, not as a hierarchy.

Quote Meaning thereby, that no one can or should not approach Brahman as it (he/she) is way too far from human understanding (yet we have seen so much about it, philosophically say).

LOL...Who said that?  What a conclusion to make!

Quote However, we should only look at the Gods (who sprung out of Brahman) through Brahmin only???

Oh my God!  Hope you are not a scientist.  Meaningless assumptions give rise to meaningless conclusions.

Quote What a wonderfull hypothesis by the people with specific agenda of ruling over the masses (remember exploitation)?

The hypothesis are being made by you my dear.  
There was no 'exploitation'  the way you think.

Quote It is here that we must ask for authenticity of the derived doctrine of Hinduism.

No, not again.

Not even a single word has been changed in the Vedas etc.  They are as much intact as Quran is.

It is easy to explain when the situation is compared with Quran.
In the other post titled "Need translations..." you pointed out that they were politically motivated translations.  Similarly, some of the verses in the Vedas were translated by someone who doesn't know how to translate them.

If Quran is translated correctly and it is true that Quran preaches 'equality' then why are women not given equal rights?

Why are there so many divisions like Shias, Sunnis, Ahmadis etc.?

Why were Bangladeshis not considered true muslims?

(these are only few, there are many more to point)

When I point such things, you people say that my mindset is a Kafi*** mindset.LOL

Peace and Love.

Edited by bharatiya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic